NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a host I think on the first The Footy Show, the QLD version which was fantastic right up until some Sydney jerkoffs decided to make a national show to include the Sydneyites and they dumped our show. I think some called it the The Bronco's Show when it was in it's original and best form.

Last edited:
So apparently he had a fall at one of the establishments at Caxton St yesterday arvo and hit his head. He never regained consciousness. Poor bugger.

Mal Meninga has vision to make Titans a bigger powerhouse than Broncos
New Titans performance chief Mal Meninga has put Brisbane on notice, outlining his blueprint to make the Titans Queensland’s No.1 NRL team by becoming bigger than the Broncos.
On the eve of Saturday night’s derby trial at Cbus Super Stadium, Meninga says he is fed-up with the Titans being mocked by critics and has steeled himself for Mission Impossible – toppling the mighty Broncos.
Brisbane have been Queensland’s flagship team for 30 years, having won six premierships and amassing a record $46 million in revenue last year to flex their muscle as the NRL’s richest club.
f5538e6269ff5e2c5d7727154e2c5e9d

By comparison, the Titans are the Broncos’ poor cousin. They drowned in a $25 million debt in 2012, had their licence taken over by the NRL three years later, and have made the finals just once in the past eight seasons.
But NRL Immortal Meninga has had enough. He says it is time to make the Titans a premiership force and has devised the type of multifaceted cultural plan that propelled Queensland to nine series wins in 10 years during his record reign as Maroons coach.
Installed as the Gold Coast’s performance and culture boss last November, Meninga scoffed at suggestions the Titans will never challenge the Broncos in the key southeast Queensland market.
10f88e7225822d92b7feb322abc57829

“My vision is for the Titans to be bigger than the Broncos,” Meninga said.
“We aren’t going to stand there and be second best.
“I want to make an impact at this club. I want success for the Titans.
“Everyone laughs about the notion of us being bigger (than the Broncos). That disappoints me.
“People have to start thinking we can be a strong club and that the Gold Coast Titans are going places.
“I don’t like letting people down. I don’t want to let the Titans down.
“I want the Titans to be the strongest club in Queensland.”
0c9aaac8e5340eead8d78f86539eb610

Meninga accepts the task of usurping the Broncos is akin to scaling Everest, but the 58-year-old is a proven winner.
He won three premierships as a player at Canberra, captained Australia to two Kangaroo Tour successes, and coached Queensland to a record decade of dominance at Origin level.
Now he wants to impart his winning mentality on a Titans club still searching for their maiden premiership.
“As the head of performance and culture, I want to give them a sense of what it takes to be a winning club,” he said.
“I have been with winning teams all my life, whether it’s been playing or captaining or coaching.
“I understand what success looks like and I’d love to paint that picture for them.
“You need a common purpose and you have to be motivated by a set of core beliefs or value systems that is conductive to the club’s identity and the character of the people.
“You have to have an emotional intelligence about what the club represents and then it’s just damn hard work.
“We need to build the players’ physical and mental strength to consistently win tight games.
“The club has been so resilient over a long period of time. But I want us to fight out of it and have some good times.”
Meninga admires Brisbane’s remarkable wave of talent headlined by Payne Haas, David Fifita, Tom Flegler and Pat Carrigan, but says the Titans are ready to pounce.
“Brisbane’s depth in the forwards is incredible and the challenge for them is to keep them all and picking the right talent to stay at the club,” he said.
“If the Broncos are thinking about releasing talent, we’re just down the road as another option for players.”

Oh, Mal. You are a silly old sausage...

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/71ec2f147678a8477c7e8e04dcbc024a

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, he thinks the Titans are 2nd best?

“Brisbane’s depth in the forwards is incredible and the challenge for them is to keep them all and picking the right talent to stay at the club,” he said.
“If the Broncos are thinking about releasing talent, we’re just down the road as another option for players.”

Mal's big plan to put the Titans on the map is to hope that the Broncos release our good players to them, like we did with Arrow, Taylor & Wallace.

Nice stuff, seems about as well thought out as his political career.

Mal's big plan to put the Titans on the map is to hope that the Broncos release our good players to them, like we did with Arrow, Taylor & Wallace.

Pretty much what I took away from it too.

Why would he even mention us unless the chip on his shoulder was real?

That's why Mal gets paid the big bucks.......

mal's political career was rather short. 30 seconds I believe. Probably for the best, i think.
One footballer I have grudging respect for despite his party choice and stance was glen lazarus. I'd never vote for anyone associated with Clive Palmer but I thought he handled himself well in the political spotlight. Considering who and what he had to work with, I thought he did very well.
His ideologies and beliefs are different to mine but I though lazarus was atleast genuine in his convictions. Palmer, on the other hand, I think makes trump look honest, and that is scary!

Mal is a proven winner, and an excellent man manager by all accounts, and he can definitely bring about a positive cultural change at the Titans, one they desperately need

This should, and likely will, improve them as a team

However, making them the flagship NRL club in QLD really is the dumbest thing I've heard said in a very very long time

And the master plan to make the Titans better than the Broncos is by building a team of players the Broncos release?

Seriously Mal, I love you for what you did for QLD origin, but nobody is perfect - and this just proves it

Last edited:
Mal is a proven winner, and an excellent man manager by all accounts, and he can definitely bring about a positive cultural change at the Titans, one they desperately need

This should, and likely will, improve them as a team

However, making them the flagship NRL club in QLD really is the dumbest thing I've heard said in a very very long time

And the master plan to make the Titans better than the Broncos is by building a team of players the Broncos release?

Seriously Mal, I love you for what you did for QLD origin, but nobody is perfect - and this just proves it

Honestly, I can’t believe they let him say that. Do they realise how stupid this sounds? Essentially their grand plan is to wait for our rejects and hope we get it wrong.

Mal knows they’ll never be as good as the Broncos as an organisation. I’m sure the Broncos have said at times that they aspire to be like X club.

Yeah, it’s not the same as saying they want to be bigger & better than X. But the comment is designed to give the club a direction to head in. Ultra-professional, accountable and driven. They started off like that and were somewhat successful before Searle went Generic Gold Coast and over-extended their capacity before imploding.

Even if they improve 10-20% (as an organisation) it’ll be worthwhile.

Last edited:

i keep thinking about the old John West tuna ad with regards to this line, ... lol

we could easily re-work the ad so it is about the Broncos ... hmmm:

"It's the players the Broncos reject ... that make the Broncos the best"

Buzz: Let’s talk expansion, starting with Brisbane

At some stage in the near future the NRL needs to fast forward to the difficult conversation about expansion and, more importantly, the long-term future and sustainability of nine Sydney clubs.
In two years the governing body will enter negotiations with TV networks and live streaming services for the next broadcasting deal. The current contract ends in 2022.
The reason for the urgency is that you need certainty around the product before you go to market.
66862c6f3ccb16ab97a09b806d382961

The NRL must look to Brisbane for expansion, believes Buzz Rothfield. (AAP image, John Gass)
MORE NRL NEWS
KENT: Finally, Greenberg gets it right
SCANDAL: NRL rocked by another sex tape allegation

We’re raising the topic again today because it’s an issue that has to be addressed not only for the broadcast deal but to give potential new franchises the opportunity to properly prepare.
Last week your columnist visited the magnificent new $30 million Broncos centre of excellence in Brisbane. From the moment you walk in on the ground floor it hits you … the Sydney clubs cannot possibly compete against this sort of professionalism.
Their set-up is out of this world.
The Broncos have $14.5 million worth of sponsors. The Cronulla Sharks had none until they snared a $1 million jersey sponsor over the weekend.
f6dd20678cc4bec4b26359fb42ebefe7

The Broncos are setting the standard for professionalism across the NRL. (AAP Image/Darren England)
The Broncos have 30,000 members — the highest in the league — spending on average $200 per head for another $6 million in revenue. On top of that they get the NRL grant of $12 million.
Their business now turns over well north of $50 million each year.
The Broncos have a city of 2.5 million to themselves and the best rugby league stadium in the southern hemisphere.
Plus the best high-performance centre I have seen in this country.
Sydney has nine clubs in a population of five million.
950bb35d8ccbef51209f90927b84986e

The longevity of nine Sydney clubs must be questioned. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
What became obvious during the visit north of the border is that Brisbane needs a second team.
Even the Broncos’ highly regarded chief executive Paul White said: “The city’s big enough and it’s growing.
“Competition and competitiveness drive innovation. I support the growth of our game and having a future direction beyond the next five-year cycle.”
The Broncos are superbly run and leave a lot of the Sydney clubs looking like they are almost stuck in the chook raffle days.
1901055d7b2db57bf97b1068c7d53b55

The NRL is competing with 142 elite sporting franchises in Australia. Picture: Matt Loxton
It’s chalk and cheese and the gap is only increasing.
The Broncos even have a sponsor for their training balls.
The commercial department got a copy of every edition of last year’s Courier Mail newspaper and printed copies of the pages where the training ball was photographed.
They took a big fat folder into the market and received $200,000 just for the football.
Their major sponsorship with NRMA is said to be worth almost $2 million a year, which is almost double what most of their Sydney rivals get for the same position on their jerseys.
Importantly, the aim shouldn’t be to weaken the Broncos. They are the benchmark.
Rivals clubs, particularly those in Sydney, need to lift their own games.
570b932facbf33c028cb9ec1966a450f

b8bf2b314bfd2be465dd2fe0e88b7ed3

NRL hand down heavy penalties to players, clubs
As White said: “I don’t think the game can sustain a competition with more than 16 teams.
“There are some telling indicators in that a number of Sydney clubs are struggling.”
So the conversation needs to happen. Not next year, but now.
To cut a Sydney team would be a highly dangerous move.
We saw what happened when that was tried on the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
Yet there are now 142 elite sporting franchises in Australia competing for the corporate dollar. We’re talking Supercars, Big Bash, all forms of male and female cricket, netball, league, union, AFL, soccer, basketball etc, etc.
It’s a tough ask for a suburban rugby league team to survive in this market.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/bb86e90d25b3c31d6a36bd2ae622d6de

I see inviting him to training got him on our side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
  • Nerd
  • Dash
  • Mister Wright
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.