NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be Reddy

Yeah I'd have zero issue with another SEQ team as long as it's the Redcliffe Dolphins or Ipswich Jets. None of this Brisbane Bombers shit.

I've always thought the Dolphins make a lot of sense. They have the history and the infrastructure. Shame they are rubbish this year.

Yeah I'd have zero issue with another SEQ team as long as it's the Redcliffe Dolphins or Ipswich Jets. None of this Brisbane Bombers shit.

This seems to be the general consensus among the fans, but the Brisbane Bombers is unfortunately the most likely result.

About fucking time. Now if they can just include salaries in that list, all NRL fans can rejoice.

Nah I don't think they will ever do salaries. RLPA would be dead set against that.

NZ Squad for Rep Round -

New Zealand Kiwis squad

Leeson Ah Mau (Warriors)
Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Storm)
Jesse Bromwich (Storm)
Kenneath Bromwich (Storm)
James Fisher-Harris (Panthers)
Kieran Foran (Bulldogs)
Jahrome Hughes (Storm)
Jamayne Isaako (Broncos)
Shaun Johnson (Sharks)
Isaac Liu (Roosters)
Issac Luke (Warriors)
Joseph Manu (Roosters)
Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
Esan Marsters (Wests Tigers)
Ken Maumalo (Warriors)
Briton Nikora (Sharks)
Kodi Nikorima (Warriors)
Agnatius Paasi (Warriors)
Isaiah Papali’i (Warriors)
Jordan Rapana (Raiders)
Brandon Smith (Storm)
Joseph Tapine (Raiders)
Martin Taupau (Sea Eagles)
Zane Tetevano (Roosters)
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Warriors)
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Bulldogs)

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c)
2. Ken Maumalo
3. Esan Marsters
4. Joseph Manu
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Kieran Foran
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Isaac Luke
10. Martin Taupau
11. Kenneth Bromwich
12. Briton Nikora
13. Isaac Liu

14. Brandon Smith
15. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
16. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
17. James Fisher-Harris

I imagine this'll be close to the side, they have so many options, couldn't even find room for guys like Ah Mau, Papali'i, Paasi, Nikorima, Hughes & Rapana, who all have a fair claim for a jersey.

I've always thought the Dolphins make a lot of sense. They have the history and the infrastructure. Shame they are rubbish this year.

It's doubtful the Dolphins would be playing out of Dolphin Oval.

The NRL are trying to go away from suburban grounds and Dolphin Oval just isn't that big.

It's doubtful the Dolphins would be playing out of Dolphin Oval.

The NRL are trying to go away from suburban grounds and Dolphin Oval just isn't that big.

I wasnt talking so much about the stadium, just how the club is run, their junior programs etc

Last edited:
Wallabies coach confirms contact with NRL superstar Kalyn Ponga
Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has personally reached out to Kalyn Ponga in a bold bid to lure the NRL superstar to Australian rugby union.
The Daily Telegraph can exclusively reveal that Cheika had a private phone conversation with Ponga to gauge his interest in a shock switch back to rugby union, his childhood sport in New Zealand.
Cheika confirmed the call was made when contacted by The Daily Telegraph yesterday but wanted to keep details of the discussion confidential.
He wouldn’t comment any further on Ponga given the star fullback is fully focused on Newcastle and Queensland.
d4be476cd441af81af7e64a5355cb193
It’s not just the Wallabies who are interested in Ponga.
There was no official offer made during the phone call - and no mention of what Super Rugby franchise Ponga would represent - but the interest was genuine and passionate.
And it isn’t the first time Cheika – preparing for the looming World Cup - has spoken about Ponga.
Before the start of this season, Cheika spoke with player agent Wayde Rushton – who also manages Ponga - about the future of an unnamed player.
At the end of the meeting, Cheika asked Rushton about Ponga and allegedly said “let us know anytime Kalyn may want to come across. We’d be interested in talking to you.”
The Daily Telegraph can also reveal third party representatives connected to New Zealand Super Rugby franchises have also made quiet approaches to Rushton.
7f75ffda9708950c4cd62dea594dd95f
Ponga starred for Queensland in Game I. Picture: AAP
Ponga, 21, still has two-and-a-half years remaining on his current Newcastle deal clubs however franchises in Australia and New Zealand - from both league and union - have already held internal discussions about how and when an approach could be made.
On an existing contract at Newcastle worth around $600,000 a season, rival clubs have already stated his value would now stand between $900,000 to $1m a season.
Those at Rugby Australia privately believe Ponga – should he switch to rugby union – would join a New Zealand Super Rugby franchise before an inevitable rise into an All Blacks jumper.
Ponga lived in Palmerston North on New Zealand’s North Island between the ages of eight and 13.
The electric fullback cut his rugby teeth at famous famous rugby nursery The Anglican Church Grammar School (Churchie).
Cheika’s phone conversation late last year was seen as a ‘nothing to lose’ moment.

NRL: Billy Slater hopes Kalyn Ponga doesn't get into a dispute with the Knights over his contra...
4042e07e04d4bcedba3119fcb082b1b5

One source close to Rugby Australia said: “There would be no embarrassment in trying to get Kalyn Ponga to rugby union. That would be smart.”
With its expanded international exposure, Ponga could earn anywhere between $500,000 to a $1m a year in endorsements and sponsorships by becoming the face of Australian rugby.
His profile would more than substitute for the loss of Israel Folau.
MORE NRL NEWS...
Matty Johns: Pearce walking path of greatest halfbacks
Burrow lies: Bennetts Gagai denial lacks credibility

Ponga is however thriving on playing rugby league and has been heavily instrumental in Newcastle’s six-game winning run and Queensland’s victory over NSW last week in Brisbane.
He will be a key player in Newcastle’s big match against Melbourne tomorrow at AAM Park.
Ponga has never stated categorically he would a return to rugby union but has spoken multiple times of an interest in his boyhood sport. New Zealand Super rugby franchises are closely monitoring Ponga’s form and future.
591ae3a9564f74dad8f39b1255485ed5
The Knights are yet to offer Kalyn Ponga an upgraded contract. Picture: Getty
Newcastle isn’t being pressured to re-sign Ponga but is aware of the increasing interest. Knights officials are though said to be “comfortable” with the situation. Rushton was not commenting yesterday.
In a Channel 9 podcast, rugby league premiership-winning coach Phil Gould was concerned Ponga could be lost to rugby union.
“Kalyn could go to European rugby and earn $2.5 million a year. God knows what he could earn at the All Blacks with endorsements and all that type of thing,” Gould said.
“It’s also up to the NRL, I believe. The NRL have got to assist the Knights in keeping Kalyn Ponga. He’s a marquee player in our game. The NRL have got to find endorsements and opportunities for him, and make him a part of their marketing.”

I'd actually welcome it, would be a great wakeup call for the Broncos.

Could it even be the Brisbane Bombers? Wouldn't there have to be a direction of some sort in front of it? South Sydney Rabbitohs, North Sydney Bears etc

Won't happen, but I'd love it to be an already established club that got the nod. Jets, Dolphins etc.

Martin Taupau has made himself unavailable for the Kiwis, instead opting to play for Samoa.

How on earth did Isaako make the Kiwis squad, he's lucky to be in first grade.

How on earth did Isaako make the Kiwis squad, he's lucky to be in first grade.
To be honest, I'm gobsmacked we have 11-12 players playing reps this weekend

Well they didn’t exactly play this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Big Del
  • Midean
  • HarryAllan7
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
  • kiwi2
  • Harry Sack
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Adammacca
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.