NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, next weekend is it. It has some massive games lined up. The top four teams playing one another in two blockbuster games. 1 v 4, and 2 v 3. For the Broncos those games will mean little but they should be absolute belters.

Fail in Townsville and the Bronco's season is done. I just don't see us making it if we can't overcome the Cowpats who will be playing their grand final.

If we do get up our interest will turn to the matches involving the teams on 20 points. At least one of them will feel some pain as the Panthers and Sharks face off. I'll be hoping the Sharks make it as they have a habit of beating Melbourne. The other interesting match is the resurgent Dogs against the Tigpies. Go Doggies !

Pretty much the correct way to re-build the Titans

Pretty much the correct way to re-build the Titans

It just goes to show how much of a dickhead Gould is and how much absolute garbage he talks when thinking only of his own wellbeing.

If the club sacked all of the roster bar those three mentioned players they would have no money left to bring in new players and if they did they would be well over the cap.

What he suggested was flippant and something you'd expect from biased NSWelshman who hates seeing any success at all in Queensland.

It was this 'sack 'em all' attitude that fucked up Panthers last year and it is still reverberating through that club months after he was moved on.

I was thinking about how, even after they’ve all been put on notice, the players are still playing like they don’t give a shit. And I guess the simple answer is that most of them don’t. There are a few that will always give 100% because that is how they are wired, but for the others, they’re already at their destination. You don’t go to the Titans to learn your trade alongside the best, you go there because you’ll be paid overs and you get to live a cruisy lifestyle. I won’t begrudge players that, they have short careers, but that’s the reality.

Player’s aren’t exactly scared about being sacked. Even if they are, the Titans will be forking out the majority of their contracts, so even if they don’t attract the same deals as the Titans have signed them for, they won’t be out of pocket. Then they have the remaining duration to work hard at their new club and try to attract a similarly over-paid contract by another struggling club.

So SBurgess gets a downgrade which means his hit on Moylan is considered the lowest possible charge for that type of tackle. How is it a grade 1 careless and WTF is a grade 3 intentional which is the highest charge.
I'd love to see the judiciary give examples of what they think are the 8 grades up to intentional grade 3.

So SBurgess gets a downgrade which means his hit on Moylan is considered the lowest possible charge for that type of tackle. How is it a grade 1 careless and WTF is a grade 3 intentional which is the highest charge.
I'd love to see the judiciary give examples of what they think are the 8 grades up to intentional grade 3.
Nothing surprises me with the nrl anymore. I am a rusted on rugby league fan but the nrl is slowly eating away at my love for the game with their agendas. I love the broncos and I love the game but the nrl is destroying it.
There are 3 clubs that will be in or close to the top 4 9/10 years and I don't even need to say who they are and people would know. "Salary cap", "match review", "referee crackdowns", "50/50" penalties, they all sound good but every single person knows what sides they favour.

Supposedly he brought up a Jared Warea-Hargreaves tackle and a Jack Gosiewski tackle from last year that were similar and only received a Grade 1.

During the off-season, I'm going to make a point of recording every example just to show what the precedent is.

Last edited:
I am absolutely not the type of person that wants the game sanitized but that was a shocker, one of the worst of the year I think. Even if a player had a squeaky clean record it'd still warrant a suspension imo. This game is a joke sometimes.

So......... Moylan has to miss a game whilst Burgess (a repeat offender) gets to play.......absolutely crazy.

Last edited:
Supposedly he brought up a Jared Warea-Hargreaves tackle and a Jack Gosiewski tackle from last year that were similar and only received a Grade 1.

During the off-season, I'm going to make a point of recording every example just to show what the precedent is.
I didn't think you could use precedent as a part of your defence

Is there a replay of the Surgess one? Haven't seen it.

The NRL continues to allow Melbourne to run their own race – and rival clubs are far from impressed.

There has been a perception for years that the Storm get a very good run from the NRL and, in part, it’s understandable, because the NRL needs the Storm to succeed. But in the eyes of some it has gone too far.

Just last week they had a lunch to acknowledge a significant anniversary. ‘‘Join both the 1999 and 2009 grand final teams in celebrating their premiership anniversaries on July 26,’’ the blurb read.
‘‘Don’t miss this opportunity to rub shoulders with Storm greats and reminisce over past glory.’’
That’s right, a lunch to celebrate the 1999 premiership win – one of the great triumphs – and the 2009 title, which was stripped from the club because they systematically rorted the cap.

Remember that? Parramatta fans certainly do. It was Eels figures who raised this with me.
And then last week against the Sea Eagles, as part of the celebration, the Storm created a special jumper to mark the occasion, featuring the words ‘‘celebrating 1999 & 2009 grand finals’’. For all the league world to see.
The Storm salary cap scandal caused enormous anger in the game. Yet, the only person who really lost out was the so-called ‘‘Chief Rat’’ Brian Waldron, the Storm chief executive at the time. Not surprisingly, he wasn’t invited to the lunch, but he should have been because he has taken the fall for others in the whole mess.
If anyone thinks Waldron went rogue and acted on his own, they are delusional. We may never know the full story of what went on down there.
As for the lunch and the words on the jumper, the NRL continues to let Melbourne do what they want. No action will be taken.

‘‘The official premiership records make it clear what happened in 2007 and 2009,’’ an NRL spokesman said. ‘‘What Melbourne choose to acknowledge is a matter for Melbourne.’’
Melbourne’s history-making captain Cameron Smith was asked about the stripped titles on The Matty Johns Podcast this week.
‘‘Amongst the players ... they are ours,’’ he said. ‘‘We still have the memories. We all have the rings.’’
Those comments, the message on the jumpers and the lunch are a slap in the face to the NRL.
And this all comes after the governing body stumped up for a dinner for Smith and 30 of his nearest and dearest at a swanky Melbourne establishment to celebrate his 400th game.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/st...-cap-tainted-premiership-20190803-p52dlu.html

I'm surprised the NRL allowed them to wear a jersey celerating it, it's disgusting. Surely the NRL would have veto powers over such things.

I'm surprised the NRL allowed them to wear a jersey celerating it, it's disgusting. Surely the NRL would have veto powers over such things.

But Cameron Smith has veto powers over the NRL.

But Cameron Smith has veto powers over the NRL.
Yeah man, didn't you read it? The NRL paid for a fancy buffet for him and his cheating mates to celebrate his 400th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Matheos
  • Tmac
  • TimWhatley
  • Gaz
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.