NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Robinson is considered a moron even in AFL circles

Yeah, the author lists a bunch of shit the Storm/Smith have done over the years, and makes absolutely no attempt to justify any of them.
So... yes, they’re arseholes?

Stuff coming out this arvo that the whole thing about Josh Massoud threatening to "cut someones throat" was completely fabricated.

Even though I don't like the bloke, that's a pretty shitty way to lose your career, off a lie.

Stuff coming out this arvo that the whole thing about Josh Massoud threatening to "cut someones throat" was completely fabricated.

Even though I don't like the bloke, that's a pretty shitty way to lose your career, off a lie.
Any more info? He never went on the record to deny it IIRC.

Last edited:
Brisbane Bombers? Five Qld millionaires to bid for NRL team
NRL Premiership

Bombers director Craig Davison during the launch back in 2011.

Bombers director Craig Davison during the launch back in 2011.Source: News Limited
Five anonymous businessmen worth a combined $50 million have begun due diligence to forming a second NRL team in Brisbane.
According to a report in The Courier Mail, Brisbane Bombers director Craig Davison has been approached by the group of investors with a view to taking on the mighty Brisbane Broncos in 2023.
The moves comes after broadcaster Channel 9 announced a push to kill off a Sydney team and launch a second Brisbane team by 2023 when the next multibillion-dollar broadcast deal is in place.

With cash to burn and an opportunity, the Queensland consortium have begun crunching the numbers to see how much it would cost to fund an NRL team, but will not begin talks with the governing body until it is made clear they will seek tenders for a new team.

The Brisbane Bombers have been fighting for an NRL licence for the past eight years and could finally get their chance with the high-powered executives.

The Courier Mail reports within the group of men, a few have footballing background, four are from Brisbane and one from north Queensland.

“I’ve been contacted by a group of businessmen who are keen to get an NRL licence as Brisbane’s second team,” Davison told The Courier Mail.

“They have asked not to be named. It is a confidential business group. They are successful in their own right and are serious about this proposition. They are crunching the numbers as we speak and doing an evaluation of what it would cost to fund an NRL team.

“There’s a team of five businessmen and a couple have a footballing background. Four are based in Brisbane and one investor is in north Queensland.

“This group has asked me to do some due diligence of the NRL marketplace in Brisbane.

“Are the Bombers still a chance? I don’t know that but there is certainly a possibility we can get together with these businessman and form a very robust bid.

“These men want the NRL to know they will bring their expertise to the table. The next stage is to seek the type of government support that is offered to the Broncos.”

Brisbane Bombers logo as it was launched back in 2011.

Brisbane Bombers logo as it was launched back in 2011.Source: News Limited

Plans to expand are set to be announced by the NRL in December, and could include adding another team to the competition rather than killing off or relocating a Sydney team.

Redcliff is viewed by many as the ideal place to launch a second Brisbane team, with the Dolphins already established in the community.

Ipswich has also been presented as a potential target.

Broncos director Darren Lockyer has said a second Brisbane team is inevitable.

“The Broncos have always sat in the board room and talked about a second Brisbane team,” he told Sports Sunday over the weekend.

“Brisbane is a growing city and the Broncos have got it all to itself, I think a lot of the Sydney clubs think that’s an advantage for the Broncos.

“It’s a matter of time before there’s another team.”

If it's anything but an established Qld Cup team then it will fail.

So...did the NRL actually legit say they want to cull a Sydney team? Because it is a no-brainer, so I can't actually believe they said it.

He said he then responded: "That’s right. And if you weren’t so young and inexperienced I’d probably come up there and rip your head off and shit down your throat. But I’m not because you’re young and inexperienced … and at least you’ve apologised and admitted your mistake".

In arguing for the case to be dismissed, a lawyer for the media organisations submitted that it was difficult to see how Mr Massoud's reputation was damaged by the stories, beyond what he had brought upon himself by his own conduct.

Mr Massoud's lawyer argued that the words "if you weren’t so young, I’d come up there" amounted to a clear disclaimer of any intent to do harm to the junior colleague, and could not be taken literally as a threat to slit someone's throat.

So...did the NRL actually legit say they want to cull a Sydney team? Because it is a no-brainer, so I can't actually believe they said it.

I don't think they did.

This story is being driven by someone who works at Channel Nine. I forget his name.

What they'd like to see to coincide with a new broadcast deal is a Sydney team being culled to make way for a second Brisbane team.

The theory being that a rivalry between two Brisbane-based teams would drive more interest and fan support than a Perth team.

He may have a point. Any talk of expansion must coincide with talk of rationalisation of Sydney teams.

The NRL have kicked this can down the road for decades now. Origin II was a wonderful night but I think we've missed the boat in Perth.

A lot will depend on whether the people of Brisbane will throw their support behind a relocated club or a brand new one.

I haven't heard that it's the official position. It's likely all Sydney clubs know there's too many and every else it's common knowledge so maybe it's unofficially recognized.

The NRL has been waiting for a natural death and recoiled at the thought of making a decision on where to plunge the knife.

Thanks guys.

I thought that would be the case. The NRL are too unprofessional and backward to thinking to make a needed tough decision like that unfortunately.

There is no point adding just 1 team to the comp as it will just increase the running costs of the league but won't create another game per round to get the broadcasters to chip in more money.

So if the aim is to get another Brisbane club into the comp then the NRL either need to cull a Sydney team, move and rebrand/wait for the Titans to die, or add two teams to create the extra game and offset the additional costs.

*Edit* Such is the agenda against the Broncos and the level of NRL stupidy it would not surprise me if they came up with a grand plan to shoehorn two more teams into Brisbane.

Last edited:
Yep, it's either cut / relocate a Sydney team, or add 2 teams

Drunko Buzz was saying on 360 it should be the Titans that move to Brisbane.......seriously WTF? How does that help in any way? Sydney saturation is not addressed, and you move move a team 1 hour up the road. What a moron.

I think, and it's just me, but I think the NRL knows a Sydney team or 2 have to go, but they just won't do it and I understand why they wouldn't - because last time they did, it ended up in court and the team came back in

Even though it's the right thing, why would they try it again?

Yeah, would certainly end up in court and become pretty expensive so I can't see any Sydney teams being cut or forced to relocate.

So to appease the Sydney whingers and all in the name of 'expansion' they will instigate 'the tall poppy' protocol, it's the Australian way, rather than lift up the strugglers to make them better you do everything you can to cut down and take from the successful.

Last edited:
Yep, it's either cut / relocate a Sydney team, or add 2 teams

Drunko Buzz was saying on 360 it should be the Titans that move to Brisbane.......seriously WTF? How does that help in any way? Sydney saturation is not addressed, and you move move a team 1 hour up the road. What a moron.

I think, and it's just me, but I think the NRL knows a Sydney team or 2 have to go, but they just won't do it and I understand why they wouldn't - because last time they did, it ended up in court and the team came back in

Even though it's the right thing, why would they try it again?

Because it’s the right thing!
Hmmm Naah on second thoughts the nrl almost never does the right thing.
Yep won’t happen.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/06/dragons-draft-in-gould-to-help-with-end-of-season-review/

Talk about living off past glories. How long has it been since he actually coached a NRL team.
No wonder he's always smiling.... i would too if i got that many blowjobs
Wonder what he charges for end of season reviews
Plus why would any club other than Panthers or Roosters actually trust his input? Have they not listened to his agenda driven tripe on air? He wouldn't have an honest opinion left in him.

How that bloated **** sucker is allowed anywhere near a teams administration is beyond me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.