NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the goose step when he's still like 15 metres away from the fullback hahaha

I'm not worried about evidence of cheating, and I'm not going to accuse them of it
What I am going to say, is that this Roosters team proves the cap does not work
Either because they are cheating it and it's too easy to do
OR
They are not cheating and still able to field that team

Either way, the cap is not working

Good post and agree completely that the salary cap is not working. To be honest though, it never did work effectively. It did succeed, to an extent, in putting limits on clubs overspending but it's showing glaring flaws with every passing year.

The main problem with it is that clubs still can't help themselves. Pretty much every club has overspent the salary cap in the NRL era (either by a little or a lot) and have been fined, had points taken off them or had harsher punishments inflicted on them.

Here's Malcolm Knox's take on the Roosters:

The Roosters maintain that they have not broken the salary cap rules. They get audited like everybody else, so let’s accept that their accumulation of talent is legit. This is not actually good for the NRL. They’d be better off if the Roosters were caught cheating. As it is, the NRL have a 16-car pile-up at an intersection and their investigations reveal that nobody was breaking 60km/h. Great. But they’ve still got a pile-up.

He does go on to point out that the Roosters are well-led and well-coached. There are no guarantees and teams still have to get it right on the day.

The answer is a player draft and it always has been.

It's a sad shame it was defeated in court.

A salary cap and a player draft, working in tandem, would be a great way to guarantee the integrity of the competition.

A draft shares talent fairly among the clubs and clubs have the opportunity to pick up off-contract players in reverse order of how they finished the previous season.

I still maintain that a salary cap wthout a draft is stupid and makes us a laughing stock in professional sport.

It's gets even more nonsensical considering the size of the amount the NRL grants to clubs each year and most of them still can't make a profit. Can't see much sense in throwing good money after bad. Let them go broke and extinct, I reckon.

Of course, where it gets messy is a player draft would appeal to supporters of clubs like the Broncos and Roosters like shit on a stick.

At various stages of our existence we've had 10 or 11 of the Queensland Origin side in our squad.

If anyone has a god-given right to stockpile talent, it's us dammit lol.

Now, a few strawmen get erected around the idea of a draft. It isn't a perfect system. It is true that some players genuinely don't want to move interstate but a well-constructed draft takes those things into account.

Besides, cases like that are the outliers, not the norm. Most Rugby League players live in Cronulla or Coogee - they're quite happy to travel across twenty suburbs to get to their clubs.

An effective draft also contains plenty of rights for players and the ability to be traded, becoming a free agent and other things like that. It was hardly the draconian system it was painted out to be.

Besides, could it be any worse thatn the nonsense we have now? Paying ridiculous 'overs' based on potential. Players swapping clubs mid-season and clubs paying a players' salaries when they have moved onto rival teams.

It's just such a joke and impossible to take seriously.

Anyways, here's that article I mentioned if you're interested:

Doesn't a draft just mean there's no point to spending money on developing players? Say goodbye to Haas, Fifita and co.

Doesn't a draft just mean there's no point to spending money on developing players? Say goodbye to Haas, Fifita and co.

Not necessarily, Brisbane signed Haas in 2016 when he was 17 which would be around the age of the potential drafting pool.

It wouldn't affect Brisbane as much since they rely on their affiliates to provide assistance in player growth. It would be the Sydney system that would have to change dramatically because their grades extend all the way to U/16s.

Here's a question for @Sproj or @Tera do Queensland players enter the draft? Or do they automatically go to the Lions and Suns?

Not necessarily, Brisbane signed Haas in 2016 when he was 17 which would be around the age of the potential drafting pool.

if there was a draft Hass definitely wouldn't be playing for us ... he would go very high. let's have a look at the state of play. since we signed him in 2016:

so, if he was drafted at the end of the 2015 season; he would likely go to the Knights (1st pick), Tigers (2nd Pick) or Titans (3rd pick) ... our first pick wouldn't have been until #15 at the earliest since we made the GF that year.

If he was drafted at the end of the 2016 season; he would likely go to the Knights (1st pick), Roosters (2nd Pick) or Eels (3rd pick) ... our first pick wouldn't have been until #11 as we finished the season in 5th place.

on another note, i didn't realise it was only 3 seasons ago that the Roosters nearly got the wooden spoon under Robinson

on another note, i didn't realise it was only 3 seasons ago that the Roosters nearly got the wooden spoon under Robinson
Amazing how outbidding every other team for Tedesco and Cronk in the same off-season can have a positive effect like that.

if there was a draft Hass definitely wouldn't be playing for us ... he would go very high. let's have a look at the state of play. since we signed him in 2016:

That's all true, but my point is that in a lot of cases, clubs don't spend time and money on players until they turn 17-18 so it wouldn't be such a drastic departure.

At least not for the Queensland teams.

TFH are terminating their sponsorship deal with the Titans due to their poor performances in 2019 and Ryan James' GF gaffe labeling that as embarrassing and offensive.

They were a sponsor with the Titans throughout the drug scandal but the GF gaffe is where they draw the line..

There has to be more to this.

I would say the more likely scenario is TFH just don't have the money.

It wouldn't affect Brisbane as much since they rely on their affiliates to provide assistance in player growth. It would be the Sydney system that would have to change dramatically because their grades extend all the way to U/16s.

Here's a question for @Sproj or @Tera do Queensland players enter the draft? Or do they automatically go to the Lions and Suns?
All players enter the draft. The AFL does have provisions for locally grown talent via the academy system - say Carlton draft a Lions Academy player at pick 6, the Lions can jump ahead of them with their pick 10 to secure that player. There's a fairly complicated points system involved in the process but that's the gist of it.

TFH are terminating their sponsorship deal with the Titans due to their poor performances in 2019 and Ryan James' GF gaffe labeling that as embarrassing and offensive.

They were a sponsor with the Titans throughout the drug scandal but the GF gaffe is where they draw the line..

There has to be more to this.

I would say the more likely scenario is TFH just don't have the money.

Yeah, that's a cover up. I'd say they're not getting enough value out of the deal due to the performance of the Titans / small crowds etc, and are pulling the plug, using the Ryan James thing as an extra "out".

There's even an opportunity for them to "poach" our discarded sponsor. Get in there Mal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.