NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TFH are terminating their sponsorship deal with the Titans due to their poor performances in 2019 and Ryan James' GF gaffe labeling that as embarrassing and offensive.

They were a sponsor with the Titans throughout the drug scandal but the GF gaffe is where they draw the line..

There has to be more to this.

I would say the more likely scenario is TFH just don't have the money.
Just wondering how Tallis is going to spin this as all the fault of the Broncos.

nekminit: TFH becomes sleeve sponsor of the mighty Brisbane Broncos 😂

Last edited:
Roosters apparently have to shed a player to stay cap compliant. I'm in two minds whether Mitchell would be good to target for fullback. I feel he has the ability, but I do feel he is a bit too lazy at the same time.

Roosters apparently have to shed a player to stay cap compliant. I'm in two minds whether Mitchell would be good to target for fullback. I feel he has the ability, but I do feel he is a bit too lazy at the same time.

Most players his age with his potential level have a bit of laziness in them, though. Because they can afford it. Once he matures a bit more, I think that would change. It's not like there has never been a lazy player that hasn't developed a high work ethic.

Cameron Smith was lazy when he started out.

He does have a tendency to switch on when it matters, though.

He said he wants to make as much money as possible and retire by 30. I think he would be great at our club.

If he becomes available, we should go after him.

Most players his age with his potential level have a bit of laziness in them, though. Because they can afford it. Once he matures a bit more, I think that would change. It's not like there has never been a lazy player that hasn't developed a high work ethic.

Cameron Smith was lazy when he started out.

He does have a tendency to switch on when it matters, though.

He said he wants to make as much money as possible and retire by 30. I think he would be great at our club.

If he becomes available, we should go after him.

I’d prefer Joseph Manu. Off contract for ‘21 onwards

edit: @soup with the snipe. Great minds

Last edited:
Mitchell has the talent to be the best back in the game. As much as I rate Manu, I'd take Mitchell every time.

TFH are terminating their sponsorship deal with the Titans due to their poor performances in 2019 and Ryan James' GF gaffe labeling that as embarrassing and offensive.

They were a sponsor with the Titans throughout the drug scandal but the GF gaffe is where they draw the line..

What did he say?

Not necessarily, Brisbane signed Haas in 2016 when he was 17 which would be around the age of the potential drafting pool.

It wouldn't affect Brisbane as much since they rely on their affiliates to provide assistance in player growth. It would be the Sydney system that would have to change dramatically because their grades extend all the way to U/16s.

Here's a question for @Sproj or @Tera do Queensland players enter the draft? Or do they automatically go to the Lions and Suns?

@Dash summed it up pretty well but if you want a little more info, not all State players go to the Lions or Suns, depends on if they are in the academy.

Let’s say Haas is in the Broncs academy, it’s likely he would be bid on with pick 1. The Broncs can then package later picks that add up to the total of pick 1 and drop down the draft. Each pick has a points total attached it.

So eg: 1 = 3000. 55, 56, 57 and 61 = 3000. So Broncs lose those four picks and slide back to 75 or something. Any other picks stay as are but then Broncs count as pick 1.

Confused? Understandable if so, it is super complicated.

However, if Haas is from Qld but not in the Broncs academy, they have no right to him whatsoever, he goes to whoever drafts him.

It's this bit that worries me. I don't begrudge him for it, in fact I'm happy that he's honest about it. There are plenty of others who feel the same but pretend otherwise.

He'll go to the highest bidder, perfect for a team like the Titans who will spend massive overs on him and allow him to be a lazy fucker as long has he has 1-2 blinders a season.

Has anyone seen an angle of the 6 again incident that clearly shows Tedesco doesn't get a touch? I've still only seen the angle they showed on telly and it's inconclusive.

And just like that, they've re-affirmed their commitment to the Titans. No doubt because of the massive PR shit storm it caused for them.

I just do not understand the NRL, they are technically a national sport yet decisions like the Sydney GF's are made. People who are more interested in playing 'woke' social issues and politics are put in charge, critical issues such as too many Sydney teams are dodged. I understand that it will never be a global sport like soccer, but then again the same is true about AFL and the AFL's planning and results have left league breathing in their dust.

Exactly the NSW government threw money at the NRL and in typical NRL style took the money to play the GF at a shit stadium instead of at Suncorp

Exactly the NSW government threw money at the NRL and in typical NRL style took the money to play the GF at a shit stadium instead of at Suncorp
The NRL were just using the money as an excuse to keep the GF in Sydney ... But the fact of the matter is they likely could have gotten the same or more from the QLD government, and also then received the benefit of playing the game out of the best rectangular stadium in Australia, possibly the world.

It’s the NRL, why do any off these sorts of decisions surprise?

For those questioning the sobriety of Brett Finch -

Former State of Origin star and Fox League personality Brett Finch enters mental health facility

Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
October 24, 2019 8:00pm

Former NRL star turned media identity Brett Finch has entered a mental health facility after suffering a medical incident this week.

Concerns were raised after Finch was spotted asleep with a blood nose on a flight from Sydney to the Gold Coast on Sunday.

A passenger told us Finch “looked like he couldn’t bring himself to get off the plane. White as a ghost, couldn’t control his runny nose and (appeared) paranoid.

“He wasn’t abusive. He just didn’t want to get off the plane, like he was scared about something.

“The captain came out… they had to call fireys and ambulance to get him off.”

Another source said that the sight of Finch struggling with his breathing was “pretty confronting’’ and “sad”.

Several sources confirmed the former State of Origin star checked into a facility to start work on his health.

Concerns were initially raised by viewers about Finch after he appeared highly agitated on the Matty Johns podcast last month.

Finch told people close to him he was suffering from anxiety at the time.

Finch, 38, began working for Fox Sports in 2017 and married wife Elli last year.

They welcomed their first child, Mackenzie Grace, in May.

Finch has previously talked about how he hit “rock bottom’’ after his retirement from rugby league in 2013.

The former Roosters, Raiders, Eels and Storm halfback said he isolated himself for six months as he dealt with crippling mental demons and the loss of his sporting identity.

“It took a few years, it took three trips to rehab facilities,” Finch told The Matty Johns Podcast. “I learned a lot about myself and the things that I’m dealing with. I had to realise I’m not going to get the highs I had in footy and for so long I was chasing that.”

Finch played in two grand finals for the Roosters but his biggest moment came in the first game of the 2006 Origin series when he kicked the winning field goal after being called into the squad on the eve of the match.

“One day I was a football player, the next day no one cares. It’s over,” Finch said of his rugby league highs. “I struggled to get any satisfaction in life.

“You train to extreme levels, you’re super fit and super strong. I thought I was a mentally tough bloke. I was trying to get some highs in my life.

“Someone I was seeing professionally told me to go down to Bondi Beach and watch the sunrise. So I did that and I thought, ‘Is this is it? Who gives a shit. This is nothing like playing a grand final.”

Source: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/679a8fc6ab537c47517583136c092815

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.