NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Trent Robinson on the rules committee? I can see him pushing for that rule given his winger's skills in the air. I can't believe they actually sat around and decided this would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Is Trent Robinson on the rules commitee? I can see him pushing for that rule given his wingers skills in the air. I can't believe they actually sat around and decided this would be a good idea.

I thought the same but he left in 2017.

The current committee consists of
Ivan Cleary
Paul Green
Mal Meninga
Darren Lockyer
John Lang
Graham Annesley
Todd Greenberg
Peter Beattie
Wayne Pearce
Peter V'Landys

When are they going to introduce multi ball where there’s three balls in play at once and a clown rides around on a unicycle for as long as possible and the game reverts to one ball when he falls off? It’s the only logical way to play

We are constantly looking at ways to ensure the game is easier to officiate.

Yes exactly, read "officiate the game easier", not officiate the game better.

What a bizarre list of changes. It was like they felt inclined to make changes, so they made a bunch of changes that don't really affect the problem the fans are having. The only change that fans really cared for was the mutual infringement rule and even then that seemed like a no-brainer.

Annesley hardly touched on the most controversial change, the penalty against tackling an airbourne player. I thought it maybe a wellbeing concern and just making sure the game was protected in case a Yow Yeh situation was to happen and the player got the idea to sue the game.

I can't recall how he addressed the question, instead it seemed to be about goading him into an apology to Canberra or making light of Alfie as a trainer.

It will be interesting to see what the comission comes up with in February for the challenge system. The challenge system was trialled through out the Under 20s and it was very controversial. Teams would often challenge 50/50 calls and it was a lottery on whether the call would be reverse. It was similar to the benefit of the doubt rules the game has in place now. Sometimes the video referee would stick with the original call, even if there was seemingly enough evidence to contradict the call. Then there would be instances where you could hardly tell and after a dozen replays the video referee would make the change.

What the NRL should do is train their video referees better and be transparent about how the video referees are going to improve. I think the bunker has improved the general review process, but it's still a long way from where it should be. If they can at least give the media some insight into how they're going to improve and be more transparent about the rules and considerations, I don't think there would be as much confusion or angst surrounding the process.

I'm really surprised the stripping rule survived. I know it has it's share of fans, but I don't think the rule change was intended for these group tackles. I personally think it should go and will be surprised if it sticks around for 2021.

Last edited:
NRL have apparently approved the exemption of Sam Burgess’s contract from the salary cap

Expect Arrow signing soon then?

No doubt

He gets lotsa money, his absolute stunner of a Mrs gets to be a model in Sydney/the world and Souths get an Origin/Aus rep to replace their international. Everyone wins

After reviewing the rule changes for 2020, some of them are completely stupid.

For example the 20/40 rule, this basically penalises the great work done by the defensive side only for their opponents to receive a piggy-back up the field. If anything they should make it 20/30 because it should only be sheer laziness that should gift them the ball back.

Another stupid one is with the mid-air tackle for all players - our sport is slowing turning into aerial ping pong!! (ie. AFL). Basically the best wingers/centres/jumpers will be coached on leaping for the ball and will at worst get their team a penalty if someone so much as sneezes towards those contesting the ball.

So Daniel Tupou is now one of the most valuable players in the game huh.

Do they ever get anything right?

And Oates.

Hopefully yeah, they’d have to work on it now over the offseason with his height. But he’s always seemed better at diffusing bombs than scoring from them.

Last edited:
The 20/40 rule just has me wincing in anticipation of McCullough throwing possession away on the 3rd tackle every other set.

I like the no mid-air tackling rule, players now have a chance scoring bomb catching tries and aerial skill is important again. I also like the stripping rule.

I think it should also be 20/30 not 20/40.

I like the no mid-air tackling rule, players now have a chance scoring bomb catching tries and aerial skill is important again. I also like the stripping rule.

I think it should also be 20/30 not 20/40.

I disagree. The skill of catching bombs and scoring was the fact that you could be tackled in the air so you had to get in position, catch the ball and fight your way to the ground. It meant that only a special few could do it and it was rare.

This will be a free fall all now and any winger with height will be scoring multiple tries.

This rule won’t last the season. I give it to mid-season at the most. All it will take is a game that the storm or roosters lose because of it and it will be gone.

I disagree. The skill of catching bombs and scoring was the fact that you could be tackled in the air so you had to get in position, catch the ball and fight your way to the ground. It meant that only a special few could do it and it was rare.

This will be a free fall all now and any winger with height will be scoring multiple tries.

This rule won’t last the season. I give it to mid-season at the most. All it will take is a game that the storm or roosters lose because of it and it will be gone.

Fair points too and you could well be right. I personally like the idea of competing for everything and height will be an advantage but not the be all and end all. It will take good coaching to learn how to deal with it. It could also turn into a mess. But this is one rule I’m willing to give a chance to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • bazza
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.