NRL General Discussion Thread - 2020

State of Origin Rep
How'd he save Wally's life?
Prelim Final Mark Graham elbowed Wally in the throat and Wally needed mouth to mouth. Canavan was Valleys' trainer and got to him first and started it before Dooley took over.

11 minutes in.

Canavan went from Valleys to the Broncos and then Roosters CEO, NRL head of football and now Knights trying to fix them. He's a great admin.

kooly87

NRL Player
Prelim Final Mark Graham elbowed Wally in the throat and Wally needed mouth to mouth. Canavan was Valleys' trainer and got to him first and started it before Dooley took over.

11 minutes in.

Canavan went from Valleys to the Broncos and then Roosters CEO, NRL head of football and now Knights trying to fix them. He's a great admin.
Any chance he wants to be the Broncos CEO after White finishes up?

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
We love to give opposition coaches a tough time, but I really enjoyed Robinson's insight into his defensive structures. What I took out of it was his theory on simultaneous contact, the significance of remaining square and the 70% of the field rule. His explanation really spoke to what coaches are looking for and their perspective on why things worked or didn't work.

LittleDavey83

NRL Player
Bundy
Agree BP, I found that really impressive. I'd love to see Seibs' take on the technicalities of the game like that tbh. Robbo - and Bellamy - are the the masters in our code of both game and player management.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Agree BP, I found that really impressive. I'd love to see Seibs' take on the technicalities of the game like that tbh. Robbo - and Bellamy - are the the masters in our code of both game and player management.
Bellamy's is simple hurt your opponent any way you can ... that's why he started using moves meant to make BJJ fighters submit

LittleDavey83

NRL Player
Bundy
Bellamy's is simple hurt your opponent any way you can ... that's why he started using moves meant to make BJJ fighters submit
Oh Bellyache is without a doubt also a master in the dark arts, and I despise that he's brought it into the game. But he's clearly technically very good as well - the Storm's game plans are clearly tailored each week to their opposition, and have been for years.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Oh Bellyache is without a doubt also a master in the dark arts, and I despise that he's brought it into the game. But he's clearly technically very good as well - the Storm's game plans are clearly tailored each week to their opposition, and have been for years.
I don't think he necessarily tailors his plans to the opposition ...

IMO, his Plan A is very very good (and he has the right player to pull it off, i.e. Smith) that it beats most opposition ... but from what we've seen over the years, in the rare occasions when his Plan A isn't working, the Storm either aren't equipped to switch to a Plan B or simply don't have one, and that is when teams beat them

LittleDavey83

NRL Player
Bundy
I don't think he necessarily tailors his plans to the opposition ...

IMO, his Plan A is very very good (and he has the right player to pull it off, i.e. Smith) that it beats most opposition ... but from what we've seen over the years, in the rare occasions when his Plan A isn't working, the Storm either aren't equipped to switch to a Plan B or simply don't have one, and that is when teams beat them
Hmmm. I tend to disagree for the most part, though I do agree that these days if you can get in their face, rattle them & keep the pressure on they are more beatable than they have been in years.

I can vividly remember watching them completely dismantle their opposition via weak points though. The example which comes to mind being that fateful game we had poor Kodi on the wing(?)...although that was more circumstantial with the initial injury to Oates (?), it shows good game awareness and targeting of opposition weaknesses. Many times you see play seeming to deliberately AVOID an injured opposition player for whatever reason.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
1582625838810.png

Not too surprised that League Life was axed, rubbish show.

Only really notable personnel changes is Vossy now hosting Controversy Corner instead of Graeme Hughes, and Sam Burgess / Cooper Cronk being regular members of the Fox coverage.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
I'm disappointed with that announcement. I don't mind them dropping League Life since it was just another magazine show on a channel full of them but the lack of variety is so disheartening. When they announced Fox League, I thought it would really bring Rugby League coverage forward and they'd do a wonderful job of promoting the current game and honoring the past.

If anything the coverage has gotten worse and they've butchered a lot of the old games. They can't even go one day without trimming games down and they replay the same episode of NRL 360 at least five times in 24 hours just in case you missed it the first time.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
I'm disappointed with that announcement. I don't mind them dropping League Life since it was just another magazine show on a channel full of them but the lack of variety is so disheartening. When they announced Fox League, I thought it would really bring Rugby League coverage forward and they'd do a wonderful job of promoting the current game and honoring the past.

If anything the coverage has gotten worse and they've butchered a lot of the old games. They can't even go one day without trimming games down and they replay the same episode of NRL 360 at least five times in 24 hours just in case you missed it the first time.
Yeah I agree, I really think you really only need to play episodes 2 times in the modern era, with everyone having recording technology and the sorts. I'd much rather the empty time slots be filled up with random old games, shown in full, or with minimal amounts of cutting.

They should show old games of each match-up for the upcoming round, i.e - showing a bunch of Broncos v Cowboys games, Sea Eagles v Storm games, etc prior to Round 1.

I think they do this occasionally, but I could be wrong.

kooly87

NRL Player
Not too sure what he's coming back here to do but he'd be a great CEO. Ex Teacher too imagine the conversations Seibs and Canavan could have- no one would know what they're talking about.
Surely we're in the process of looking for White's replacement soon? Would be great timing.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Tyrone May and Curtis Scott back playing this week.

The outrage machine has gone silent, fucking weird world we live in these days!
May will still miss the first 5 weeks if the season NRL suspension ... They haven't decided about whether to stand Scott down yet

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
The NRL announced that suspended players can be selected for the trials, which is why Hudson Young has also been named in the Raiders side despite the eye gouging incident from last year.

Further news on the Fox League front, League Life will continue to exist as a part of the game day coverage. They'll contribute feature interviews with players in upcoming matches that will shed light on them as people and the significant moments in their life.

Honestly I like that development. The feature interviews were the highlight of the show and now that they're being incorporated into the game-day coverage they'll be more relevant and they'll be broadcast infront of a much larger audience.

It also means that the players will continue to be the focus. I was starting to worry that Fox League was really just the Matty Johns/Paul Kent network and the players just exist to give them something to talk about. With The Footy Show a thing of the past, I think it's important we give players a platform to promote themselves and the game as well as having a media platform to document the game through each season. It'd be such a shame if Fox League or anyone wanted to do an ESPN 30 for 30 style show and all the footage was limited to media interviews and on-field vision.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momentumvapeconz

Members online

No members online now.

Twitter