NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyrone May and Curtis Scott back playing this week.

The outrage machine has gone silent, fucking weird world we live in these days!

Tyrone May and Curtis Scott back playing this week.

The outrage machine has gone silent, fucking weird world we live in these days!
May will still miss the first 5 weeks if the season NRL suspension ... They haven't decided about whether to stand Scott down yet

The NRL announced that suspended players can be selected for the trials, which is why Hudson Young has also been named in the Raiders side despite the eye gouging incident from last year.

Further news on the Fox League front, League Life will continue to exist as a part of the game day coverage. They'll contribute feature interviews with players in upcoming matches that will shed light on them as people and the significant moments in their life.

Honestly I like that development. The feature interviews were the highlight of the show and now that they're being incorporated into the game-day coverage they'll be more relevant and they'll be broadcast infront of a much larger audience.

It also means that the players will continue to be the focus. I was starting to worry that Fox League was really just the Matty Johns/Paul Kent network and the players just exist to give them something to talk about. With The Footy Show a thing of the past, I think it's important we give players a platform to promote themselves and the game as well as having a media platform to document the game through each season. It'd be such a shame if Fox League or anyone wanted to do an ESPN 30 for 30 style show and all the footage was limited to media interviews and on-field vision.

League Life will continue to exist..

Hopes that the show will be gone completely shattered.

League Life will continue to exist..

Hopes that the show will be gone completely shattered.

I'd be glued in for the first 3-4 shows, if they started with interviews of Jack de Belin, Tyrone May, Josh Reynolds and Curtis Scott.
Enough of the heart warming stuff, let's get to see the reasoning behind the actions of these 'wrongly accused' players.

Last edited:
I'd be glued in for the first 3-4 shows, if they started with interviews of Jack de Belin, Tyrone May, Josh Reynolds and Curtis Scott.
Enough of the heart warming stuff, let's get to see the reasoning behind the actions of these 'wrongly accused' players.

so far only one of them has been "Wrongly accused" .. in fact Tyrone May plead guilty ....

in case you're unsure what pleading guilty means, it means he admitted to doing what he was accused of ... so by definition can not be "wrongly accused"

so far only one of them has been "Wrongly accused" .. in fact Tyrone May plead guilty ....

in case you're unsure what pleading guilty means, it means he admitted to doing what he was accused of ... so by definition can not be "wrongly accused"

Sorry professor :boring:
Point is League Life is boring-AF.

Souffs have asked the nrl to appoint a fulltime mrc person (coincidentally from nsw) = done
Souffs ask for the nrl to crack down on the wrestle (something Bennett asked for for years whilst at brisbane) =done
Souffs recommend the nrl appoint the man who did the review for them (coincidentally a souffs employee and also Bennetts right hand man for years who left brisbane with Bennett = done

Add this too Roberts lack of suspension, the dubious medical retirements, and the massive media exposure they have recieved this preseason and you can smell what the nrl is cooking from a mile away... Souffs would have to absolutely drop the ball over the try line to now win the premiership.

If the NRL can be bought and sold that easily then it long ceased being a legit sports competition and we are all wasting our time even watching it.

Souffs ask for the nrl to crack down on the wrestle (something Bennett asked for for years whilst at brisbane) =done
Souffs recommend the nrl appoint the man who did the review for them (coincidentally a souffs employee and also Bennetts right hand man for years who left brisbane with Bennett = done
What's this about?

If the NRL can be bought and sold that easily then it long ceased being a legit sports competition and we are all wasting our time even watching it.

I want to see the heroes of the Brisbane Broncos take down the evil NSWRL corporation by winning the premiership, just like we beat the cheating Storm in 2006.

What's this about?

Souths put together a 21 page dossier on the dangers of wrestling and what the long term affects unnecessary pressure to the skull and neck can have on a player's body.

This was in light of their Round 21 loss to Melbourne which led to another round of media coverage and the media's claim that Smith had invented a new tackling style.

Honestly 99% of the Rugby League community should be getting behind Souths.

Fan favourite, Matty Johns, returns in 2020 with the breakout show of 2019, The Matty Johns Podcast, as well as hosting The Late Show with Matty Johns and Sunday Night with Matty Johns.

Because we just couldn't get enough of Matty's hot takes and Norman Gunston wannabe jokes.

Mal Meninga will feature across more of the big game day broadcasts in 2020 and along with Cronk, Kevin Walters, Ben Ikin, Gorden Tallis, Justin Hodges, Corey Parker, Billy Moore, Yvonne Sampson and Hannah Hollis will lead the biggest Queensland line-up on TV.

Hannah Hollis will lead the biggest Queensland line-up on TV

Hollis (pictured top, far right) was born in Darwin, grew up in Canberra, moved to PNG, attended boarding school & university in Melbourne, and moved to Sydney for work. There have also been stints broadcasting Sport in Brisbane.

5ab55d8ecf6847012a266f34c37173b2.png

The LIVE on-field action starts on Thursday, March 12 and Yvonne Sampson, Gorden Tallis and Cooper Cronk will combine every Thursday night with a bumper panel of experts to preview the opening match of the round on Thursday Night Football.

FOX LEAGUE remains the only place to watch the Friday night double-header with Hannah Hollis, Greg Alexander and Sam Burgess bringing fans the 6.00pm match EXCLUSIVE to Rugby League’s only dedicated channel before the 8.00pm blockbuster.

Sounds like one of those, what would you rather - 4 Thursdays with Gordie or 11 Fridays with Brandy.

The best callers in the game will be on FOX LEAGUE’s in 2020 with Warren Smith, Andrew Voss, Dan Ginnane and Brenton Speed set to bring fans every second of every game each week.

As outrageous as that looks, that's not too outrageous. Rabs would be #3 but Speed is a better broadcaster than Thompson. I would have preferred Thirsty over Ginnane, even with Morrow's tendancy to fly off the handle.

Andrew Voss will be joined by Lara Pitt for The Fan to look at rugby league through the historical and quirky lens of the game’s biggest fanatics.

Because when Australia thinks of quirky and wacky television, they think of Lara Pitt. Maybe we'll get podcast Lara and not the all business version?

The laughs continue on Friday night with James “The Professor” Rochford and Andrew “Barney” Barnett poking harmless fun at the game, the clubs and the players that we all love with The Narrow World of Sports.

The only people laughing are Rochford and Barnett only the way to the bank. Imagine enticing Rugby League fans to subscribe with this pitch?[/quote]

Last edited:
Souths put together a 21 page dossier on the dangers of wrestling and what the long term affects unnecessary pressure to the skull and neck can have on a player's body.

This was in light of their Round 21 loss to Melbourne which led to another round of media coverage and the media's claim that Smith had invented a new tackling style.

Of course it'd be great if the wrestle was gone. That's not the point I was making at all.

The point is Bennett and many many many others have been whinging about it for years, in fact over a decade. Why now? Why now that souths have a problem with it is it a problem that it needs immediate action? It's not as if the nrl needed a 21 page dossier to see the fucking problem, everyone saw it and commented on it. Why wasn't it clamped down on when Bennett wanted it out of the game when he was at the broncos and had a team built around it.

That sounds great to me, have the NRL actually responded to it? I don't remember coming across this story but anything that leads to a reduction in wrestling on the field has my full support.

That sounds great to me, have the NRL actually responded to it? I don't remember coming across this story but anything that leads to a reduction in wrestling on the field has my full support.

They've supposedly hired Bennett's football analyst to liaise with the MRC to review each tackle and report any of the wrestling to the MRC.

Last edited:

even if they are doing it solely because of Souths, who cares ... as it will be a huge benefit to us as well ... every time we even attempt wrestling we get pinged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Astro
  • lynx000
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • Allo
  • NSW stables
  • Skyblues87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Clintos
  • Stix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fozz
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.