NRL General Discussion Thread - 2020

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Josh Hannay? He has done nothing with that side so far, any of the other three would be streets ahead surely.

Jedhead

NRL Player
I'd genuinely feel a bit envious if the Cows get the jump on us and sign Shaun Wane. He strikes me as a no-nonsense, working class battler who rates work ethic and mateship as primary concerns in any team he is part of.

Something the 'workshy' players in our squad would shudder at the mere mention.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
I'd genuinely feel a bit envious if the Cows get the jump on us and sign Shaun Wane. He strikes me as a no-nonsense, working class battler who rates work ethic and mateship as primary concerns in any team he is part of.

Something the 'workshy' players in our squad would shudder at the mere mention.
i'd love us to sign Wane ... but i think with the way the old boys have carried on the last two years, Kevvie is a shoe in for the role, if for nothing else to shut them up and stop them trying to undermine the club and coach every week

Jedhead

NRL Player
i'd love us to sign Wane ... but i think with the way the old boys have carried on the last two years, Kevvie is a shoe in for the role, if for nothing else to shut them up and stop them trying to undermine the club and coach every week
Yeh it seems that all roads now lead to Kevvie. It would be great to have Wane as an assistant to Kevvie, but I doubt he'd entertain that setup. Who knows though if it was explained to him that first and foremost the club needs a culture re-boot that can only be got from having one of our favourite sons at the helm he just might buy it.

BroncsFan

NRL Captain
Apparently Shaun Wane, Todd Payten, John Cartwright and Josh Hannay are undertaking final round interviews for the Cowboys Head Coaching position.
I think the best pick for them is actually Payten... I thought he was pretty well regarded when up there last and has familiarisation with the club and players. He's also making a decent first of it with the warriors.

They'll probably jump onto Wane given the success former ESL coaches have (Madge, Robinson, Holbrook (apparently), etc.)... without noting that the coaches that succeeded were Australian coaches who served an apprenticeship in the ESL rather than an Englishman getting his first taste of NRL ever.

I hope they pick Cartwright though... the lols would be great

Last edited:

kooly87

NRL Player
Apparently Shaun Wane, Todd Payten, John Cartwright and Josh Hannay are undertaking final round interviews for the Cowboys Head Coaching position.
Wane would be an incredibly bold choice. Certainly would be intriguing to see how it unfolded if he got the job. We've had some good results our of English Forwards and some poor results out of the English Backs, so the Coaches are really an unknown quantity.

Payten seems the more conservative and therefor likely option though.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Wane would be an incredibly bold choice. Certainly would be intriguing to see how it unfolded if he got the job. We've had some good results our of English Forwards and some poor results out of the English Backs, so the Coaches are really an unknown quantity.

Payten seems the more conservative and therefor likely option though.
Payten is a great option. I would not be disappointed at all if the Broncos took a punt on him if for some reason Kevvie and Hook fall through.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
Slothfield reporting that Payten has won the race folr the Cowboys job. Reckons the deal will be confirmed on Wednesday

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Slothfield reporting that Payten has won the race folr the Cowboys job. Reckons the deal will be confirmed on Wednesday
Cowboys have struck gold with that appointment, he's an elite coach in the making.

Alec

International Rep
Cowboys have struck gold with that appointment, he's an elite coach in the making.
I dunno, there have been some many coaches that looked good in the first season and then got exposed because they couldn't adjust or due to other factors. There was this Broncos coach I'm trying to remember the name of, it's probably been too long now... he had some success at a different club before being exposed here.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I dunno, there have been some many coaches that looked good in the first season and then got exposed because they couldn't adjust or due to other factors. There was this Broncos coach I'm trying to remember the name of, it's probably been too long now... he had some success at a different club before being exposed here.
Yes of course but look at what he has been able to do with the Warriors despite crazy circumstances, he speaks an excellent game too. He's a talent.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
it took a howler going against the Roosters for the NRL to make changes to the bunker.

from this weekend, the ex players in the bunker have been axed and they will only have one person in the bunker making decisions

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
it took a howler going against the Roosters for the NRL to make changes to the bunker.

from this weekend, the ex players in the bunker have been axed and they will only have one person in the bunker making decisions
Well at least they got to common sense I suppose.

Galah

NRL Player
Brisbane

Yeah, don’t worry about us winning our challenge but not getting the ball.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
Dean Young has reportedly told the Dragons he won't be at the club in 2021 (he was the one assistant hook wanted to keep)

he is expected to take up an assistants position at a rival club

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Confirmation today that Fonua-Blake will join the Warriors next season on a 3 year deal.

They're going to field a pretty impressive roster next season -

1. Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Maumalo
3. Aitken
4. Hiku
5. Fusitu'a
6. Nikorima
7. Harris-Tevita
8. Fonua-Blake
9. Egan
10. Ah Mau
11. Katoa
12. Harris
13. Tevaga

14. Lawton
15. Evans
16. Taunua-Brown
17. Murdoch-Masila

Forward depth: Blair, Paasi, Murchie, Afoa, Papali'i
Backs depth: Beale, Herbert, Perham, Pompey

Genuinely a top 8 side.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Confirmation today that Fonua-Blake will join the Warriors next season on a 3 year deal.

They're going to field a pretty impressive roster next season -

1. Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Maumalo
3. Aitken
4. Hiku
5. Fusitu'a
6. Nikorima
7. Harris-Tevita
8. Fonua-Blake
9. Egan
10. Ah Mau
11. Katoa
12. Harris
13. Tevaga

14. Lawton
15. Evans
16. Taunua-Brown
17. Murdoch-Masila

Forward depth: Blair, Paasi, Murchie, Afoa, Papali'i
Backs depth: Beale, Herbert, Perham, Pompey

Genuinely a top 8 side.
With a genuine bottom 8 coach, so they should finish out of the 8 again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.