NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
is penaltybroncos still a thing?

EarCEgWUEAANbtB.jpg
What this list doesn't tell anyone is how many first tackle penalties we've received in terrible field position. The answer is probably half.

is penaltybroncos still a thing?

EarCEgWUEAANbtB.jpg
In all seriousness this has seriously pissed me off.

How can we be 20 penalties worse than the next worst... that is total agenda driven bullshit.

And of course two NSWRL darlings leading the way...

I heard Ikin on 360 the other day (I know why the **** do I watch that shit) admitting that Parramatta were offside all night in the Broncos game.... wait a sec is this the same game where they only conceded 1 penalty?!?!

And also why would this game of all games stick in Ikin's mind??

Seriously it was like 3 weeks ago and nothing all that interesting happened in it because it was a blow out... yet he recalls that the eels were offside all night. Meaning he recalls the game being an absolute farce because the rules had been thrown out the window... it also means he only had to mention it in passing when speaking about it, because everyone he was talking to also knew it was an absolute farce... yet when it happened crickets from NSWRL. Except for probably Annersley who likely came out and said the one penalty against eels was incorrect

Fucking bullshit this entire league!!

Last edited:
Best 3 players: Cameron Smith, James Tedesco, Tom Trbojevic

Cameron Smith is still the smartest player in the game and nobody can control a game as well as him.

James Tedesco is the most complete player in the game. If you look at all the big moments of 2019, Tedesco was involved in the biggest.

Tom Trbojevic is the most dangerous player in the competition and is the one player who can really change Tedesco at this stage.

Most improved:
Patrick Carrigan

Brisbane had a deficiency in the #13 last year and I think they've found their answer in Carrigan. Even in a struggling team, Carrigan is producing these great runs against the tide and he's busting his backside in defence. A silver lining in a real difficult year at Red Hill.

Best buy:
George Williams

Has adjusted to the NRL wonderfully and he's a tough player as well - the Raiders should go another level with him.

Worst buy:
Esan Marsters.

When Marsters first emerged, he was a handy player for Wests because he gave them some direction. Marsters wanted the ball and he wasn't afraid to come up with big plays for his team. I don't think Green really understood what he was getting when he bought Marsters, I think he just saw the best centre that was available and took a chance. It's really blown up in his face and Esan just looks completely lost at the moment.

Best rookie:
Bradman Best

Best reminds me a lot of Justin Carney from the Raiders, a really stocky player with a bit of pace about him - hopefully he has better luck with injuries. I'm also keeping an eye on Coates, Farnworth and Katoa for this award.

Best bench player:
Brandon Smith

Gives Melbourne their second wind and can change a complexion of a game in a single run. A short burst of energy and he just drives the defence backwards time and time again. I've always liked Sia Soliola coming off the bench, but he maybe disqualified after this weekend.

Best 3 players: Cameron Smith, James Tedesco, Tom Trbojevic

Cameron Smith is still the smartest player in the game and nobody can control a game as well as him.

James Tedesco is the most complete player in the game. If you look at all the big moments of 2019, Tedesco was involved in the biggest.

Tom Trbojevic is the most dangerous player in the competition and is the one player who can really change Tedesco at this stage.

Most improved: Patrick Carrigan

Brisbane had a deficiency in the #13 last year and I think they've found their answer in Carrigan. Even in a struggling team, Carrigan is producing these great runs against the tide and he's busting his backside in defence. A silver lining in a real difficult year at Red Hill.

Best buy: George Williams

Has adjusted to the NRL wonderfully and he's a tough player as well - the Raiders should go another level with him.

Worst buy: Esan Marsters.

When Marsters first emerged, he was a handy player for Wests because he gave them some direction. Marsters wanted the ball and he wasn't afraid to come up with big plays for his team. I don't think Green really understood what he was getting when he bought Marsters, I think he just saw the best centre that was available and took a chance. It's really blown up in his face and Esan just looks completely lost at the moment.

Best rookie: Bradman Best

Best reminds me a lot of Justin Carney from the Raiders, a really stocky player with a bit of pace about him - hopefully he has better luck with injuries. I'm also keeping an eye on Coates, Farnworth and Katoa for this award.

Best bench player: Brandon Smith

Gives Melbourne their second wind and can change a complexion of a game in a single run. A short burst of energy and he just drives the defence backwards time and time again. I've always liked Sia Soliola coming off the bench, but he maybe disqualified after this weekend.

I just meant like who have been the best 3 players so far this season, not who the best 3 players are in the NRL atm. Although you could argue for the 3 you listed anyway, all playing phenomenal footy.

I was going to say B.Smith as well, but he's only come off the bench once so far this season, so thought he didn't count :P

Oh true, I forgot Smith also started against Souths, I thought it was only last week as a last minute decision. The fact he keeps wearing the #14 threw me off.

Kane Evans would have been my follow up. I considered him for most improved as well, but he was starting to turn a corner last year. The Eels middle rotation has been really strong and I think there's been times where Evans has out-played his starting forwards.

This is actually a bad year for them, usually they are #1.
Even the cowboys can't beat Moses and his fairytale ascension to being the new Sterlo after 36 years

Or the golden turbo brothers being the new Stewart brothers... and the claim that "it would be a travesty if they left Manly"... but then in the same breath
"teams are looking to pry Coates/ Dearden/ Fifita/ Herbie/ Niu/ Turps/ Lodge/ Staggs/ Oates/ TPJ/ [insert bronco here] away from Red Hill" and "they should let their young guys go to buy experienced players", but "Broncos are now a retirement home"

Seriously **** all these *****!!

Last edited:
I've been thinking more about the top players in the competition and who would round out my Top 10.

I've got Cameron Smith, James Tedesco and Tom Trbojevic as my top 3.

In no specific order

Jason Taumalolo - The best lock forward of the modern era and a superstar of the game. One of the few reasons to actually want to watch the Cowboys.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - Just a step below Trbojevic, actually improved on his Dally M season numbers wise but just doesn't have the players around him to let him star.

Josh Papalii - The most damaging front row forward in the game and a key figure behind the Raiders resurgence.

Josh Hodgson - The best exponent of the stripping rule in the game and he's extremely crafty in the trenches. Just seems to produce the goods time after time with his kicking game.

Damien Cook - When he starts running, no defence can keep up with him and he's proven effective at all levels.

Cameron Murray - Has the best play the ball in the game and just has a knack of coming up with great touches. Everybody credits Pearce for Origin, but it was Murray who created the space (and denied DCE a proper shot at field goal...can't decide a series via a penalty goal).

Boyd Cordner - He's the best edge runner in the game, he may not bust the line as others, but he wins the ruck more than anyone and every team he's in base their attack around his ability on the fringes.

11-20 I'd have the likes of Jake Trbojevic, Latrell Mitchell, David Klemmer etc.

The highest Bronco would be Haas who'd be in the 20s.

Trying to think of the last time I would have had a Bronco in the Top 10...

Matt Gillett 2017, Darius Boyd 2016, Ben Hunt 2015, Corey Parker 2015 would have all been 5-15 range.

Might have to go to 2006 for our last Top 5 player - Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceiva and Justin Hodges would all been in the reckoning and I'd probably fit all three in. Smith would have been my #1 that year and I thank my lucky stars he got injured part-way through that grand final.

Not sure where to put this but... anyone got any news yet about what's going to happen with the storm/NRL in Victoria? Surely no team travels there and storm need to move to new again. AFL will have to shut up shop if it keeps going I'd say...

One team makes no sense, all the costs of an additional team but no additional tv revenue from an extra game each week.

Another Brisbane team may hurt the Broncos but it could very well cripple and kill the Titans.

Last edited:
The way V'Landys was talking has me concerned if I'm honest, it all just doesn't stack up and sure as hell the NRL must have sacrificed something big in this deal to FOX.

Full crowds aren't even back yet, we have nobody outside of the top 17 playing football let alone any youth competition. Covid could break out at any time yet all of a sudden the NRL are flush with cash and he is talking like we are golden. Why would Fox stump up a whole wad of cash at such a volatile time?

What the fark has this guy 'sold' to FOX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.