NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently if a player is forced to go for the concussion test, it is a free interchange, it is also a free interchange to get the played undergoing the concussion test back onto the field if he is permitted to return before the 15 mins is up.

The way to stop clubs rorting this rule (especially since they are all well aware of what it takes to get a player to undergo one of these tests.) is certainly to have an independent NRL doctor at each match and makes the decision on who goes off for a test and also for the independent doctor to perform said test.

that would solve not only the problem of clubs using the concussion rule to get a free interchange, but also the problem of clubs leaving vital players on the field that should be off getting assessed

Aaaaand then we'll have every player of every club being drilled on how to "fail" a concussion test.

So what? It still isn't fair that some players get taken out by illegal actions and they lose the victim for the rest of the game while the offender is usually penalised but continues to play and MAYBE gets suspended.

Where is the benefit for the victim's team? We all know no one gets sinbinned or sent off anymore unless they are 30m onside.

So what? It still isn't fair that some players get taken out by illegal actions and they lose the victim for the rest of the game while the offender is usually penalised but continues to play and MAYBE gets suspended.

Where is the benefit for the victim's team? We all know no one gets sinbinned or sent off anymore unless they are 30m onside.

But as has been explained above, the concussion rule isn't only applicable for foul play. It's any concussion. You'll have a team out on their feet, one point up, 10 minutes to go, and the most exhausted player will fake a concussion to bring on a fresh player, an unused 18th man, without even impacting their interchange.

So the concussion rule needs tweaking but bringing in the 18th man is viable imo.

I think the 18th man should only be allowed for foul play. If you get knocked out in an accident and can't play on, bad luck. Injuries are part of the game. If a situation a la Trent Barrett on Greg Inglis occurs, the disadvantaged team should be allowed a replacement player.

Let's be honest, the NRL powers that be are not going to be able to figure out a fair rule that works anyway, so this is all pie in the sky stuff.

They could make the 18th man count as in interchange unless it's caused by foul play.

Apparently the QRL Chairman could get the axe.

It's rumoured the QRL staff want a leadership change.

So many ex-League players in the Queensland Reds "Brisbane Tens" squad..

5ef08433-3466-49d2-b7ba-e0b9ea029ae6.jpg

deae671c-faa3-442a-9929-407b96506326.jpg

43e9edb2-863d-4966-968d-b6c1083fa31e.jpg

a98ab5ad-4e71-4e23-8c9f-ef1ca875ee9d.jpg

If only we still had Hunt.

cant wait to see marantas lightning pace in this format

I was just watching the Broncos vs Cowboys game in Round 4 and it was mentioned that when a player goes off the field for a concussion test, if they are not back on the field in 15 minutes the team is charged an interchange.

Soo I've just been having a bit of a look through other teams and there's players and ages ect. What's everyone's thoughts on the cowboys for the upcoming season, personally I think they will start to decline after a few good years. They're lost James Tamou and both Matt Scott and thurston are both starting to age. Do we think Thurston can continue to produce his magic or will he start to slow down? Personally I believe we might start to see him slow down and not have the brilliance he generally shows. He will still do some amazing things and play some good footy but surely at some stage he's got to start losing some of his magic?

Similar with the Storm and cam smith and Cronk surely at some stage they start to slow down a touch especially now they're in the back end of there career? Do you think we will see a changing of the guard from those big names and some other players start to step up and shine? Hopefully some more Queenslanders!

I can certainly see that view point and felt tempted to do the same. At the end of the day though, they're still champions and usually those type of players produce their best footy at the back end. Take Fittler, Meninga, Lamb, Lockyer, Price and Webcke as example. I'm sure I'm missing a few as well, so at this stage age is just a number.

The Cowboys will struggle to replace Tamou and Hannant. Both were integral in putting the Cowboys in position and allowing them to play low risk football. Their issues could be further excacerbated if Ethan Lowe fails to recover from his spinal injury. There were rumours floating around that it could be career ending when he initially suffered the injury. While he's on track to play in Round 1, he may not be the same player he once was which will be another disruption.

Fortunately the Cows are well served by emerging backrow Coen Hess. Coen was massive in their victory against the Broncos in the semi final and has all the traits of an Origin player. He's one player worth keeping an eye on.

Not to mention, they still have Taumalolo. Jason is the best middle forward in the game and as long as he continues to grow as a player the Cowboys are always going to be in the conversation. He was a one man wrecking crew against the Broncos in that semi final and he's going to terrorise opposition teams in 2017.

Considering they still have their spine intact and still have so many key figures involved it's difficult picturing them sliding that much. I don't expect them to flog so many sides next season, but they'll be there abouts.

I'm less confident in Melbourne. At the start of 2016, there were some serious warning signs and while they were able to regroup, I don't think those issues will disappear. Koroibete, Green & Proctor are all big losses for the club and I can see a lot of turbulence as Craig tries to find suitable replacements.

Still, they're the best defensive unit in the game and have a knack of converting close games into narrow victories. I don't expect that to change and they'll find their way into the finals.

I gave my thoughts on all the teams over here: https://broncoshq.com/threads/rate-the-competition-2017-edition.30978/

But in a nut-shell, these are the 2016 finalists I'm suss on...

Canberra - Because of the club and coach's past history.
Cronulla - Because of the pressure of being defending premiers without Ennis and Barba.
Brisbane - Because their star halfback has signed elsewhere and they have an incredibly tough start to the season.
Gold Coast - Because they were the least convincing finalists of last season.

Moderately interesting that the Titans named Ash Taylor at Five-Eighth and Kane Elgey at Halfback in their squad for the trial today. Not sure if that means much in this day and age or not.

They probably did it because they think that will dissuade us from chasing Taylor.. "Look guys, Ash is a Five-Eighth now, you've already got one of those"

I can certainly see that view point and felt tempted to do the same. At the end of the day though, they're still champions and usually those type of players produce their best footy at the back end. Take Fittler, Meninga, Lamb, Lockyer, Price and Webcke as example. I'm sure I'm missing a few as well, so at this stage age is just a number.

The Cowboys will struggle to replace Tamou and Hannant. Both were integral in putting the Cowboys in position and allowing them to play low risk football. Their issues could be further excacerbated if Ethan Lowe fails to recover from his spinal injury. There were rumours floating around that it could be career ending when he initially suffered the injury. While he's on track to play in Round 1, he may not be the same player he once was which will be another disruption.

Fortunately the Cows are well served by emerging backrow Coen Hess. Coen was massive in their victory against the Broncos in the semi final and has all the traits of an Origin player. He's one player worth keeping an eye on.

Not to mention, they still have Taumalolo. Jason is the best middle forward in the game and as long as he continues to grow as a player the Cowboys are always going to be in the conversation. He was a one man wrecking crew against the Broncos in that semi final and he's going to terrorise opposition teams in 2017.

Considering they still have their spine intact and still have so many key figures involved it's difficult picturing them sliding that much. I don't expect them to flog so many sides next season, but they'll be there abouts.

I'm less confident in Melbourne. At the start of 2016, there were some serious warning signs and while they were able to regroup, I don't think those issues will disappear. Koroibete, Green & Proctor are all big losses for the club and I can see a lot of turbulence as Craig tries to find suitable replacements.

Still, they're the best defensive unit in the game and have a knack of converting close games into narrow victories. I don't expect that to change and they'll find their way into the finals.

I gave my thoughts on all the teams over here: https://broncoshq.com/threads/rate-the-competition-2017-edition.30978/

But in a nut-shell, these are the 2016 finalists I'm suss on...

Canberra - Because of the club and coach's past history.
Cronulla - Because of the pressure of being defending premiers without Ennis and Barba.
Brisbane - Because their star halfback has signed elsewhere and they have an incredibly tough start to the season.
Gold Coast - Because they were the least convincing finalists of last season.

Hindy has predicted that the Sharks will miss the 8 all together because of those 2 reasons. It's very unlikely that they will go back to back because nobody has done that since the 90's but they still have a good team so it's a big ask to say they won't make the 8. Will be challenging for them to make the top 4 but 5-8 is easily achievable for them.

You gonna whip together a "Projected 17's" for all the teams this year @Big Pete?

There's a few intriguing ones, like the Panthers, they have so many NRL players, I dunno how they're going to fit them all in.

I can always whip together a few 17s, it just isn't as bold in February when we're basically in dress rehearsals. One of my favourite things about those old threads was going back and crossing the names out like a sheet of paper - it was like fourth term of high school all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • NSW stables
  • mitch222
  • Sproj
  • azza.79
  • Redux
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • marw
  • Bish
  • Broncorob
  • ostin86
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • Allo
  • Footy Fanatic
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.