NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freddy's thoughts:

“I thought it was ridiculous,” Fittler said.
“It belittles the award.”
“I can’t believe the best player in the world is a person I’ve never seen play,” Fittler said.
“I watched the highlights of the England game yesterday and just saw him score a couple of tries.
“That’s all I’ve ever seen of him and he’s the best player in the world? I find it ridiculous.”
“James Tedesco was a bit unlucky. He won the Origin, he was the best player in Origin. Oh no, he wasn’t, Billy Slater was"
“Dallin was pretty good, he had a good series for New Zealand, but Teddy was a standout.
“He still got the real things, he got to win Origin and he got to win a premiership.
“Like Charlie Sheen, Teddy will just have to live with winning.”

Makinson has only played 150+ ESL games and scored over a 100 tries.

Charter boat, what charter boat?

Also was James Tedesco the best Origin player this series or was it Tom Trbojevic? Who will it be next year? Damien Cook? David Klemmer? Latrell Mitchell? James Maloney? Josh Addo-Carr? Just about everything went their way and they still find something to whinge about.

I actually agree that Tedesco should have won the golden boot. Once he played for NSW, there was no stopping him and he was a stand-out at all three levels. Makinson played well for England, but his ESL form wasn't that great.

Freddie really is a flog.

When he was being a space cadet on the Footy Show it was funny in a weird, but now he is in a position of some sort of respect as Origin coach it is really just pathetic.

I think both Brandy and Fittler have been extremely disrespectful tbh. The golden boot is based on test performances over the last year. These NSW flogs just need to accept its not judged the way they want it to be.

I do agree with Fittler about 1 thing - who the hell is Tommy Makinson?

I do agree with Fittler about 1 thing - who the hell is Tommy Makinson?

If you don't watch much super league then you wouldn't know a lot of English players. They probably think the same about some of our players here in the NRL.

“My objective is to deliver on the NRL strategic plan which is to implement free flowing and exciting football,” he said.
“I’ve taken it back to what it is because if I am going to be held accountable for what happens on the field then the person who has most impact over the match officials and how they perform needs to be reporting directly to me.
“The referees are employees of the game and they have got a very critical role in the outcome of matches and they need to be taking operational policy directives from the game’s administration so the best way for me to do that is to have a direct line to the people who are responsible for that.”

What bullshit is this.

Your job is to enforce the rules you useless *****.

It's not your job to implement free flowing football, change the rules to allow that. Sigh. The NRL administration is so inept.

Apparently Ponga is pretty much guaranteed to play in the halves next year. That's pretty disappointing, I hoped he'd remain at fullback. I guess best case scenario is he improves his ball playing even further and then goes back to fullback.

Does anyone know what the story is with these magic round tickets? They go on sale tomorrow to the general public. Is there a presale at all?

NSW BLUES EXTENDED TRAINING SQUAD

Jack Bird (Brisbane Broncos)
Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Penrith Panthers)
Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)
Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)
Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Nick Cotric (Canberra Raiders)
Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)
Jack De Belin (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm)
Blake Ferguson (Parramatta Eels)
Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Wade Graham (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Ryan James (Gold Coast Titans)
Josh Jackson (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters)
David Klemmer (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
James Maloney (Penrith Panthers)
Jordan McLean (North Queensland Cowboys)
Latrell Mitchell (Sydney Roosters)
Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Tyrone Peachey (Gold Coast Titans)
Mitchell Pearce (Newcastle Knights)
Tevita Pangai Junior (Brisbane Broncos)
Matt Prior (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
James Roberts (Brisbane Broncos)
Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons)
James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters)
Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Paul Vaughan (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Aaron Woods (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)

That’s probably a good morale boost for Bird.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...oBfBxU9tAU5BJbs-4jbB5RCyJBaM7Bztk_VnJVHNsMehM

NRL’s war with agents set to spill into courts as deadline looms

The bitter war between the NRL and player agents could be headed to court after the governing body set a deadline on introducing their new accreditation scheme.

While the new set-up officially kicks in on December 1, agents have until midway through next month to sign up and be bound by head office.

A failure to accept the new conditions would force the game’s ‘six-percenters’ to reapply and leave them at the behest of NRL headquarters.

They would also need to undergo an interview and exam to earn accreditation.

It is understood a number of agents bandied together and engaged lawyers in a bid to prevent the new scheme from going ahead.

The move comes over three months after NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg announced their accreditation scheme would undergo historic reform. It follows a string of salary cap scandals in recent years where player agents were left untouched because they were self-regulated and unanswerable to the NRL.

Only NRL club officials and clubs themselves were punished by the game for their role in player payment rorts.

In a recent letter sent from the NRL to agents, the governing body confirmed it wouldn’t reopen any disciplinary matters under the previous scheme.

Other changes include junior talent, who can sign with an agent from 15 years of age until they turn 17 and can terminate their agreement on three months’ notice.

Senior players can also leave their managers without cause on three months’ notice after an initial two-year period.

In August, Greenberg insisted the reform would be an improvement for the game. “In the past the NRL has had no powers in relation to agents and this has led to unsatisfactory outcomes in several cases,” Greenberg said.

“Agents acting professionally have nothing to fear from the revised scheme but it will give us the scope to deal appropriately with those who do not act in the best interests of the players and the game.”

So the real reason for crapfields recent story on the broncs is revealed
. The sharks organisation is in financial trouble and have had to let 10 people go.
They lost 3 mill despite a 13 mill dollar NRL grant.
We have supposedly 80 people which he sees as a big advantage and wants to cry about it.

Hey buzz try telling the sharks to get better at what they do instead trying to drag a successful club down.
Peptides and dodgy loans are expensive too so tell your scummy club not to cheat every chance they get as well.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/cf286ba8471021afbb31ab9a8ded0b97

the nrl should move the sharks to Perth. Them or the tigers maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the real reason for crapfields recent story on the broncs is revealed
. The sharks organisation is in financial trouble and have had to let 10 people go.
They lost 3 mill despite a 13 mill dollar NRL grant.
We have supposedly 80 people which he sees as a big advantage and wants to cry about it.

Hey buzz try telling the sharks to get better at what they do instead trying to drag a successful club down.
Peptides and dodgy loans are expensive too so tell your scummy club not to cheat every chance they get as well.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/cf286ba8471021afbb31ab9a8ded0b97

Was that a legit link?

It's saying it's not found, and trying to access it via a 3rd party does nothing either.

Buzz must have had it taken down :)

Found this:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/29/sharks-ready-to-make-painful-financial-decisions/

Sharks ready to make painful financial decisions

Cronulla chief executive Barry Russell says the club will fight its way out of the current period of financial troubles but admits there are painful decisions to be made.
He confirmed a News Corp report on Thursday that 10 staff members have been made redundant – finishing up before Christmas. This leaves the front office with around a dozen staff.
But Russell also told NRL.com there would be no further employee cuts to the administration and that the club hoped to sign a new front-of-jersey sponsor before the 2019 Telstra Premiership starts next March.
"We needed to do this business restructure to ensure our long-term future," Russell told NRL.com.
"We are under financial stresses at the moment that we need to address. Unfortunately this is necessary. I admit the timing is very poor.
"It is sad and I'm very disappointed. And I realise it leaves us with a lean team but we're a very competent group and we're striving hard for a successful 2019 season.
"The financial stability of our organisation is the challenge all NRL clubs have. You want to run a profitable business so we had to make some radical changes internally to head on the right path."

Russell said expenses "across the board" would also be reined in at the club, but there would be no more staff let go.
"That's it as far as staff goes. We've just got to look at every line and be diligent in our spending. There is light at the end of the tunnel – this club has a great future."
Russell said commercial revenue was the next area the club had to maximise efforts.
Opal Solar did not take up their option for 2019 to remain on the front of the Sharks jersey, which brings clubs around $1 million per annum in revenue.
"We've got a number of major properties available (on the first grade jersey). Everyone is working hard behind the scenes to secure some long-term sponsors.
"Our goal is a new front-of-jersey sponsor by the start of the new season. We intend to make that a reality."
Signing New Zealand Kiwis half Shaun Johnson from the Warriors is another item the Sharks hope will happen to bolster the club's on-field fortunes.
An offer has been made to the 28-year-old but it is unlikely to be finalised on Thursday, as head coach Shane Flanagan is attending the annual NRL coaches conference at the Moore Park headquarters.
Money saved from Kangaroos winger Valentine Holmes deciding to leave the Sharks earlier this month to pursue a start in the NFL will free up the funds to sign Johnson on a one-year deal.

Was that a legit link?

It's saying it's not found, and trying to access it via a 3rd party does nothing either.

Buzz must have had it taken down :)

Yeah mate courier mail. Not sure why it wouldnt work.

Yeah mate courier mail. Not sure why it wouldnt work.

Just wasn't sure if it was one of those couriermail.com/imadethisupasajoke addresses.

NRL confirmed the story anyway :)

favicons
BRISBANE COURIER-MAIL QUEST ›
Annotations

Sacked! Blood in the water at Shark Park with redundancies

NOVEMBER 27, 2018The cash-strapped Cronulla Sharks have been forced to sack 10 staff members to slash costs across the business amid genuine fears of the club’s long term viability.
Under directions from the board, chief executive Barry Russell handed out the redundancies to employees from commercial, digital/media and events on Tuesday.
The staff members will leave before Christmas.
The Daily Telegraph understands the Sharks finished last season with a $3 million loss, despite a $13 million grant from the NRL.
Cronulla Sharks CEO Barry Russell handed out the redundancies this week. Picture: AAP
MORE SHARKS NEWS
The sacking will save around $1.5 million next year.
NRL boss Todd Greenberg and his finance staff are monitoring the situation closely.
The Sharks have no major sponsor for 2019. Only one of four sponsor positions on the Sharks’ jersey has been sold.
Revenue from unit sales at the development site next to Shark Park has been used to clear debts of more than $6 million rather being invested into football operations.
Cronulla’s financial plight is of a huge concern to the NRL.
Cronulla Sharks chairman Dino Mezzatesta directed the club, along with the rest of the board, to hand out the redundancies. Picture: Brett Costello
The club is also under investigation for salary cap rorting in 2015 and revelations of a fake invoice scam and bogus $100,000 loan to players.
The club is still paying off the loan and facing a huge fine from the NRL.
The Sharks have been unable to offer coach Shane Flanagan a coaching extension because of the financial crisis.
The sackings leave the Sharks with an administration staff of only 12 and all about 25.
Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan is still waiting to see how his future at the club unfolds. Picture: Damian Shaw
They have to compete against teams like the Brisbane Broncos who employ 80 staff members.
The NRL is refusing to offer Cronulla any financial assistance.
The situation is so diabolical that a recent request for new computer equipment from the coaching staff was rejected.
There are suggestions the NRL side will be forced to play under the salary cap next year to save more costs although it will not affect the signing of champion Kiwi half-back Shaun Johnson, who will be getting the money from Valentine Holmes’ departure.
The Daily Telegraph is seeking comment from the Sharks and the NRL.
" dir="ltr">
The cash-strapped Cronulla Sharks have been forced to sack 10 staff members to slash costs across the business amid genuine fears of the club’s long term viability.
Under directions from the board, chief executive Barry Russell handed out the redundancies to employees from commercial, digital/media and events on Tuesday.
The staff members will leave before Christmas.
The Daily Telegraph understands the Sharks finished last season with a $3 million loss, despite a $13 million grant from the NRL.
05d0fa529ba5d508c189b7d34f39cbd8

Cronulla Sharks CEO Barry Russell handed out the redundancies this week. Picture: AAP
MORE SHARKS NEWS
The sacking will save around $1.5 million next year.
NRL boss Todd Greenberg and his finance staff are monitoring the situation closely.
The Sharks have no major sponsor for 2019. Only one of four sponsor positions on the Sharks’ jersey has been sold.
Revenue from unit sales at the development site next to Shark Park has been used to clear debts of more than $6 million rather being invested into football operations.
Cronulla’s financial plight is of a huge concern to the NRL.
f3964b50068ba1189c6f436e5b00dbcf

Cronulla Sharks chairman Dino Mezzatesta directed the club, along with the rest of the board, to hand out the redundancies. Picture: Brett Costello
The club is also under investigation for salary cap rorting in 2015 and revelations of a fake invoice scam and bogus $100,000 loan to players.
The club is still paying off the loan and facing a huge fine from the NRL.
The Sharks have been unable to offer coach Shane Flanagan a coaching extension because of the financial crisis.
The sackings leave the Sharks with an administration staff of only 12 and all about 25.
ccb37b8e1e802334161575ac5564294c

Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan is still waiting to see how his future at the club unfolds. Picture: Damian Shaw
They have to compete against teams like the Brisbane Broncos who employ 80 staff members.
The NRL is refusing to offer Cronulla any financial assistance.
The situation is so diabolical that a recent request for new computer equipment from the coaching staff was rejected.
There are suggestions the NRL side will be forced to play under the salary cap next year to save more costs although it will not affect the signing of champion Kiwi half-back Shaun Johnson, who will be getting the money from Valentine Holmes’ departure.
The Daily Telegraph is seeking comment from the Sharks and the NRL.

http://outline.com/vy3qFX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Morkel
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.