NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know? Have you ? I've never choked a woman so don't include me in your sick and twisted perversions.

Cute. But you know exactly what he meant in his post.

If Kevvie is listening to Wayne and that's the reason for him reportedly refusing to go through the interview process, despite being interested in the Titans gig ... then he is a bloody fool.

Wayne Bennett, may not need to do interviews, but that is because he is Wayne Bennett ... he has the ability to fall back on his record which is unmatched in rugby league.

Kevin Walters doesn't have that luxury ... his club coaching record is abysmal, consisting of a 39% winning record in the ESL.

now lets compare some of his major rivals for the job:

Justin Holbrook currently has his ESL side sitting 12 pts clear on top of the ladder and has an career winning % of 79% (in the ESL, currently into his 3rd season)

Anthony Griffin has a career winning % of 55% from 7 seasons in the NRL...

I know the Titans are stupid, but after Brennan, I can't believe that they would hire a second consecutive coach with out completing an interview process.

Bennett isn't wrong though.

What are they going to identify in an interview?

It's either obvious to them he's a good coach, or he's not.

Bennett isn't wrong though.

What are they going to identify in an interview?

It's either obvious to them he's a good coach, or he's not.

Maybe the interview process is for the club to get some ideas on how to play footy.

Well at least they aren’t dragging the whole process out like the broncos did.

If Kevvie is listening to Wayne and that's the reason for him reportedly refusing to go through the interview process, despite being interested in the Titans gig ... then he is a bloody fool.

Wayne Bennett, may not need to do interviews, but that is because he is Wayne Bennett ... he has the ability to fall back on his record which is unmatched in rugby league.

Kevin Walters doesn't have that luxury ... his club coaching record is abysmal, consisting of a 39% winning record in the ESL.

now lets compare some of his major rivals for the job:

Justin Holbrook currently has his ESL side sitting 12 pts clear on top of the ladder and has an career winning % of 79% (in the ESL, currently into his 3rd season)

Anthony Griffin has a career winning % of 55% from 7 seasons in the NRL...

I know the Titans are stupid, but after Brennan, I can't believe that they would hire a second consecutive coach with out completing an interview process.
It's weird: when WB gives KW a ringing endorsement, he gets slagged for it. When WB stays silent, he gets slagged off for it. No pleasing everyone I suppose.

It's weird: when WB gives KW a ringing endorsement, he gets slagged for it. When WB stays silent, he gets slagged off for it. No pleasing everyone I suppose.
I take his endorsements with a grain of salt ever since he endorsed Henjak.

Skeptical Waynesaurus also has a feeling that this sounds a lot like Wayne Bennett is positioning his chess pieces so that in a couple of years the TItans come begging for his help after KW inexperience at NRL level shows. He doesn't want an established and experienced coach up there doing too good of a job.

**Warning** - I may have watched too much Game of Thrones

It's fine for Bennett to give Walters a ringing endorsement, even commendable ...

but it is very bad advice to tell Walters that he shouldn't have to go through the interview process, because he doesn't need to go through an interview process. Walters only club record to speak of is a poor winning record (39%) in an inferior competition to the NRL ... it's not like he has been coaching in the NRL for 30+ tears with 7 premierships on his record

Making the advice is all the more worse, is the fact that the Titans have just been burned by hiring a coach who didn't go through the interview/selection process

p.s. given Bennett's history of giving coaches a ringing endorsement, it may not actually help Walters to get one from him, lol

It’s a poisoned chalice anyhow. I reckon Kev is mad to take the Titans job.
Perhaps, however if he's to be an NRL coach he needs to start somewhere and he's in his early fifties. I believe he should take it as it means NRL experience and exposure, good cash and facilities with the huge upside of not having to move house. Plus he might just succeed!

Perhaps, however if he's to be an NRL coach he needs to start somewhere and he's in his early fifties. I believe he should take it as it means NRL experience and exposure, good cash and facilities with the huge upside of not having to move house. Plus he might just succeed!
And the Titans are a trash club so the expectations aren't super high. If he can just get them into the 8 he'll be lauded as a success story.

It would beat coaching a club like the Broncos where if you're not consistently challenging the top teams you're probably going to get sacked.

And the Titans are a trash club so the expectations aren't super high. If he can just get them into the 8 he'll be lauded as a success story.

It would beat coaching a club like the Broncos where if you're not consistently challenging the top teams you're probably going to get sacked.
Spot on and he's zero chance of getting a gig at the Broncos for the foreseeable future. I reckon it'd be ideal, a challenge without high expectations plus all the reasons I outlined earlier. You nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.