NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you not need to have been around the club all year to do an end of season review? There are people on this forum who could probably do a better end of season review.

Would you not need to have been around the club all year to do an end of season review? There are people on this forum who could probably do a better end of season review.

Some times having an impartial party is the best option.

Not when that party is Gus tho

To be fair, some of his technical analysis is really good. Like him or loathe him, he does know the game well - but that does not make a good administrator. Different skill sets.

To be fair, some of his technical analysis is really good. Like him or loathe him, he does know the game well - but that does not make a good administrator. Different skill sets.

Anyone who talks as much as he does is bound to get some things right amongst all the other rubbish and opinionised junk that comes out of his mouth.

Not yet, wouldn't be surprised if NRL.com starts uploading Grand Finals to their website in the not too distant future. I also wouldn't be surprised to see something freaky happen on YouTube either.

Enjoy @Tom

No Super League Grand Final. You'll have to get the Broncos Grand Final pack to watch Peter Ryan and Webcke terrorise the Sharks in defence.

Last edited:

Enjoy @Tom
Thx mate but I already watched it on Kayo and can't see what all the hoo-ha was about. I felt if anything the Storm's 1st try was an obstruction. Were the rules different back then? I don't know where this "Broncos got all the calls" came from, probably the same place it always comes from haha.

Thx mate but I already watched it on Kayo and can't see what all the hoo-ha was about. I felt if anything the Storm's 1st try was an obstruction. Were the rules different back then? I don't know where this "Broncos got all the calls" came from, probably the same place it always comes from haha.

No worries, I just wanted to show off my first correct tip of 2019. 😄

The try to Turner looked fine, the King try may have had some question marks with Hoffman but I don't believe he impeded Carroll.

The obstruction rule was open to interpretation. It was typically weighed on the impact of the play, so if a try was scored directly because of the obstruction, it would be pulled up. However there would be situations where guys would run through completely dismantle the defensive line. They tried to refine the rule in early 2007 and it only lasted six rounds before they realised it was an awful rule.

It still is mind you, but I think the modern interpretation (2016-on) is more cut and dry. Now if only they had the right people to rule on it.

No worries, I just wanted to show off my first correct tip of 2019. 😄

The try to Turner looked fine, the King try may have had some question marks with Hoffman but I don't believe he impeded Carroll.

The obstruction rule was open to interpretation. It was typically weighed on the impact of the play, so if a try was scored directly because of the obstruction, it would be pulled up. However there would be situations where guys would run through completely dismantle the defensive line. They tried to refine the rule in early 2007 and it only lasted six rounds before they realised it was an awful rule.

It still is mind you, but I think the modern interpretation (2016-on) is more cut and dry. Now if only they had the right people to rule on it.
Yeah, I dunno. I hate runners stopping in the line of defence. Which Matt King did on that 1st try. Our winger would have wrapped up the ball quite easily if King wasn't standing there.

Yeah, I dunno. I hate runners stopping in the line of defence. Which Matt King did on that 1st try. Our winger would have wrapped up the ball quite easily if King wasn't standing there.

Boyd goes to him and he retreats before he obstructs Tate.

Speaking of calls that keep you up at night.

They just showed a front on of Milford's break in the grand final on the Fan. Sure enough, there's Feldt with his hands all over the ball knocking it forward to strip him. I've never seen a proper angle of it, only when I was there at the game and could have sworn it was knocked out forward...

...oh well you don't get premierships for getting screwed by the refs

Last edited:
The referees are fine.

There's a sneaky little hand in the play the ball in pretty much every tackle in every game these days.

It's one of the most hilarious things about the penalty crackdown last year.

The refs are 'ruining' the game.

It says a lot about the state of Rugby League that no one seriously expected the players to stop cheating or bending the rules.

As Mascord said:

Change the rules, get six referees out there, consult the video ref on every play .... but don’t rely on players to do the right thing.

I have been meaning to revisit the 2015 Grand Final. I don't have a copy. I might have to see if I can get the DVD off Ebay.

It's been hailed as one of the greatest matches in the history of the game. Despite not getting the result, I'm still proud that the Broncos were a part of it.

It takes two teams to make a great game.

It had everything. The opening was rapid fire stuff. Oates scored a breath taking try but we had no time to enjoy it as some clever play by Granville had the Cowboys scoring and right on our tail.

That was just the first 10 minutes!

The second half turned into a war of attrition. Both sides struggled to land the knock out blow. What drama!

It had everything.

It didn't feel like it at the time but with hindsight it was an amazing game and amazing night.

What can I say about the North Queensland Cowboys?

I should hate them but I just don't have it in me.

I find it hard not to be charmed by Thurston and his little daughter Frankie in the aftermath of the game.

The NRL said that picture of the two of them with her doll is the most shared image in the game's history.

Thurston consoling Hunt. Bennett pulling Hunt off the ground and telling him we wouldn't have even made it this far without him.

There is some chatter that Bennett wanted Hunt gone but it's important to note he has always backed him publicly regarding the Grand Final.

I hate to say it but the Cowboys winning their maiden premiership probably did more for the game than us winning a seventh one.

You didn't have to write a 400 word essay to basically re-iterate what I said. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that they got the call wrong, but it was one I was always curious about and after last night I learned the ugly truth - they got it wrong.

I had nothing better to do mate.

I still have a bit of spare time now.

Moving on... I've been thinking a bit about refs screwing teams over.

Bad calls. Incorrect calls. and what have you.

So the refs got the call wrong. Big deal. If I manage to source a copy and watch the game again, I'm willing to bet I'll find several examples of the Cowboys being dudded by wrong decisions.

If you follow a Rugby League team you're going to cop a dud call. It's that simple.

You may also be the beneficiary of a howler going against the opposition.

What was interesting (and funny) about the Broncos-Eels game a week or so ago is that both Broncos and Eels fans felt short changed by the referee.

In other words, he made incorrect decisions which affected both teams.

This is unacceptable. Or something.

So... a buzz word I hear from the bloodthirsty and the rusted-on brigade is consistency.

All we want is 'consistency...'

Why?

I think big Gordie Tallis was in the paper whaling about consistency from the refs a while ago.

Why Gordie?

You've been involved in Rugby League since you were 5 years old and have never had a year where the rules were applied consistently across the board.

There has never been a season in which the game has been officiated consistently.

People are nostalgic for something that never existed.

The media and fans who think the refereeing was so much better in decades gone by are kidding themselves. They made just as many errors back then as they do now.

Their mistakes though weren't broadcast in crystal clear, high-definition and given endless replays so it creates the illusion that things were so much better in the good old days.

A person could actually make the case officiating these days is better than it has ever been.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out a big moment in the clash, especially when a player involved raises it and unseen footage proves his point.

Fair enough. I still think Milford should have held it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Mustafur
  • leon.bott
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.