NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been a new NRL rule that benefited the defence?

For the past twelve years they've been trying to come up with a concrete rule for obstructions. Otherwise the last major change was the introduction of surrender and dominant tackles which I believe came in the early 2000s. Of course the interpretation of the ruck has favoured the defence for quite some time, to the point where they bring in rules just to use them when they need to make the game closer (eg. the 'peel' tackle).

This is going to be dog turd bad. What is the defender supposed to do in a situation like this? Wait until he touches down and then try and hold him up?

What's the defender supposed to do? I'd say he will have to contest the ball

The only thing possible I suppose, go for it nba or afl style, just punch or block the ball/hands. Doesn't matter which way it goes. They should tweak the rule to include a 'no knockon' clause for the defenders. If they punch the ball out, knock it forward, any direction no foul, play on if they can gain possession. Only knockon applies to the offense.

I wonder if the rule that prevents players from purposefully propelling a ball forward will be used against defenders. Would take the fisting option off the table.

Yeah, I think it was introduced in the late 2000's. "Anything the Storm want to do in defense is now legal unless another team wants to try it".

When are they going to introduce multi ball where there’s three balls in play at once and a clown rides around on a unicycle for as long as possible and the game reverts to one ball when he falls off? It’s the only logical way to play

Man you’re Half the reason why I go on this site. Never change

So, I've been meaning to ask.. Why are the Rabbitohs going so hard for Arrow when they've already got Murray? They're both pretty clearly Lock's to me, I guess you could play Arrow at prop, but he's going to lose a lot of his value taking early hit-ups and playing fewer minutes imo..

So, I've been meaning to ask.. Why are the Rabbitohs going so hard for Arrow when they've already got Murray? They're both pretty clearly Lock's to me, I guess you could play Arrow at prop, but he's going to lose a lot of his value taking early hit-ups and playing fewer minutes imo..

That’s a really good question.

I can only think they plan to play Murray on Sutton's left edge spot... with Sua (likely) on the right edge and Arrow at 13

There was a game last year where Murray shifted to that edge due to injuries and ended up scoring two tries and setting up another.

I'd also say there is a chance that titans release Arrow for 2020 (they're saying they won't, but they could use the cash to get Latrell) which means Souths would have him straight up and not be sitting there with $1m in the cap doing nothing.

Bennett also only plays Murray for 60mins and they lose a huge amount of momentum when he is off... so playing him on an edge will get 80 mins a game out of him.

I personally rate Murray as probably the number 1 lock in the game and would say he is second most important to southa behind Cook... Lolo I consider to basically have the same game as a prop (a super athletic prop) and Jurbo I see as lower than Murray when compared to the attacking game that Murray brings.

Murray is an absolute gun and I'm sure he'd do well on an edge but having that lighter body in the middle of the field getting involved in everything is a big point of difference for them. Just play Arrow at prop on big minutes.

Murray is an absolute gun and I'm sure he'd do well on an edge but having that lighter body in the middle of the field getting involved in everything is a big point of difference for them. Just play Arrow at prop on big minutes.
Totally agree... it's hard to pin point what Murray's point of difference is that makes him so good, but he's just everywhere.

He offloads all the time, supports through the middle like a fullback and has lightning fast play the balls. Also his defence is never in question.

I think moving him to an edge would be a mistake. He will still be good, but losing that everywhere man in the middle is massive... souths already lose a heap of momentum when he's off the field for 20mins a game let alone the whole game away from the middle.

I just don't see how he can have the same impact out there because he's not a tackle breaking line running player or a Wade Graham play maker type backrower

Last edited:

Storm ay..

One of the replies to the tweet said for some reason Cronk and Tedesco weren't counted for some reason...Can anyone confirm?

Well I suspect if they were, the Roosters would be $2 million dollars over the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Tim K
  • Bish
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.