NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a bloke in my town who’s massively wealthy who sponsors a couple of Storm players. As far as I know he just gets photos with them, maybe box seats and invites to events or whatever. Pretty sure it’s Vunivalu or JAC he sponsors.

I recall that there was an article (sorry i cant remember which news source) no more than 3 months ago about TPAs and it stated melb, bris and roosters were the 3 highest, and now suddenly the roosters arent featured there now? This is one of the best examples of agenda driven, bias journalism ever.

That was total TPA these are a portion of that. These are arm length- 2.7 million of 6 million.
[automerge]1576410775[/automerge]
I don’t understand why they feel the need to exclude the games partners TPA’s though. It just reeks of trying to hide something.

if you were giving the game a million dollars for FNF would you expect access to Tedesco?
[automerge]1576411001[/automerge]
Would love to see a breakdown of the company’s that make up the storms 800k plus a description of what the players involved actually do for the money.

Even if they do nothing and get paid a lot it doesn’t matter. It’s a private arrangement not organised by the club. That’s the only concern that it’s not anything to do with the club.

Last edited:
The fact Melbourne can generate such strong private sponsorship in a sport where Rugby League is very much a minority code really does suggest that a side in Perth could work if they were able to drive a similar result for themselves and their players.

The fact Melbourne can generate such strong private sponsorship in a sport where Rugby League is very much a minority code really does suggest that a side in Perth could work if they were able to drive a similar result for themselves and their players.

Perth is a no-brainer, therefore the NRL won't do it or will stuff it up, guaranteed.

They would rather try to hobble a tall poppy successful and profitable QLD club in Brisbane ( but hated in NSW) anyway, that's the Australian way.

It's the NRL way. Have a look at the AFL though, THAT'S how you run a professional sport organisation.

It's the NRL way. Have a look at the AFL though, THAT'S how you run a professional sport organisation.
I think a second Brisbane and a Perth side make the most sense. Key here is supporting the Perth side adequately in the first decade of existence and second is getting the DNA for the second Brisbane side right. If it's going to be from Ipswich or Redcliffe etc, then they need a stadium and HQ to be purpose built, or in Redcliffe's case, have existing facilities upgraded. No playing out of Suncorp and being called 'Western Corridor' when it isn't really true.

Last edited:

It's because it's Smith, that's why Melbourne's figure is big. If Perth had a Smith then sure it's possible. Also Smith taps into his Queensland roots for sponsorship- things like Brisbane airport.

It's because it's Smith, that's why Melbourne's figure is big. If Perth had a Smith then sure it's possible. Also Smith taps into his Queensland roots for sponsorship- things like Brisbane airport.
Yeah of course. The right kind of marquee face for a Perth side would be critical early on. No stand out candidates at the moment but there is a bit of generational change going on across the game currently with so many legends retiring at the same time, so once that settles down you'll have some new marquee identities probably start to stand up.

Cameron McInnes has been named the new Dragons captain for 2020

So Tina Turner is being wheeled out of retirement or something?

How about this for a try?

The hands from McGuire and Lockyer, kind of reminds me of another famous try they'd set up two years later.

I had no recollection of that, my only memory of that game was Ennis bombing that try. Until he signed with the Broncos, that was the biggest impression he left on me.

I didn't realise the Broncos were chasing Ennis for 2005 either. In hindsight it makes sense becaause when he did sign with the club, it was treated like no big secret.

Last edited:
^^ What an absolute pearler of a try. We saw nothing even close to that sort of skill last year.

I thought the NRL had already stonewalled any chance of Bubbler being registered?

^^ What an absolute pearler of a try. We saw nothing even close to that sort of skill last year.

We should have set up a 2019 Try of the Year thread.

Looking at the NRL.com video, they're mostly individual efforts which are great in their own way and I enjoy Jimmy the Jet vs. Sydney 2018 and Jack Reed vs. Melbourne 2011 as much as anyone but I'm a sucker for a good interchange of pass.

Off the top of my head, the Kotoni Staggs try vs. Souths was the pick of the bunch. It sort of came out of no where, as the boys just kept the ball alive until Gillett shrugged off Walker and threw a last gasp pass to Staggs. It's the last big play I remember Gillett coming up with and it broke my heart when the Broncos weren't able to snatch victory.

They didn't deserve it, but the way they nearly came away with it at the end was so exhillerating.

As for Carney, the NRL will probably clear him for the Perth 9s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Rah88
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • scobie
  • Organix
  • Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mustafur
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • pennywisealfie
  • Foordy
  • BroncoFan94
  • Waynesaurus
  • RolledOates
  • Xzei
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncos4life
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.