NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking at the Sydney Roosters SG Ball squad to see if Sam Walker was going to be given the opportunity to take the competition by storm. It appears that he's been training with the NRL squad and could be offered a first grade contract.

According to NRL.com, the Roosters only have 27 players signed. However, their website has exactly 30 players with Edenn Rogers-Smith, Max Bailey and Sam Walker being the new faces.

With Flanagan, Lam and Walker contracted to the club, it's going to be interesting to see how their halves situation pans out. I could easily see one of those players being squeezed out this season and taking up an opportunity at another club.

Speaking of which, teams for the SG Ball and Harold Matts competition should be announced later today. It's the first real taste of football and in the case of SG Ball, really the first proper glimpse into the future.

Was looking at the Sydney Roosters SG Ball squad to see if Sam Walker was going to be given the opportunity to take the competition by storm. It appears that he's been training with the NRL squad and could be offered a first grade contract.

According to NRL.com, the Roosters only have 27 players signed. However, their website has exactly 30 players with Edenn Rogers-Smith, Max Bailey and Sam Walker being the new faces.

With Flanagan, Lam and Walker contracted to the club, it's going to be interesting to see how their halves situation pans out. I could easily see one of those players being squeezed out this season and taking up an opportunity at another club.

Speaking of which, teams for the SG Ball and Harold Matts competition should be announced later today. It's the first real taste of football and in the case of SG Ball, really the first proper glimpse into the future.
Your thoughts on young Lam?

Your thoughts on young Lam?

I thought he looked promising with limited opportunities. Didn't seem content to just play out a set and get to his kick, actually looked to put some plays on and looked impressive doing so. I'd say he's the most likely to be moved on and would be a handy pick-up for a club looking for a change or need somebody to fill a spot.

The Roosters plan for Sam was always the Bears.

The Roosters plan for Sam was always the Bears.

I do recall reading that somewhere but I thought somebody may have had their wires crossed since Walker hadn't been announced in any of their first grade squads. I expected him to be in their development squad.

I wonder if there is any truth to the rumour that a club has to wait until a player turns 18 before they can be considered an official member of the squad. That was the speculation surrounding Tom Dearden last year and why his name was scrubbed from the initial 24 man squad.

George "wigan's worst ever debut" burgess has been quoted saying he wouldn't be surprised if his brother Sam "my shoulders done for coincidentally when souffs are under cap pressure and my marriage broke down" burgess made a return to footy...

Now ffs, if this happens souffs should get the FULL AMOUNT put onto their cap PLUS a penalty... But they won't, at least if greenberg is still around. It shows how pathetic the ruling was that its even joked about. Pathetic ruling that has allowed souffs to dig themselves out of a cap hole and sign millions of dollars worth of talent at the expense of other clubs. I hate them more than any other club these days. They should win the comp this year, they have been given every opportunity to do so and we all know the nrl won't stop here with their favouritism. It's pissing off a lot of fans, a mate of mine cited it as the tipping point for him when they signed arrow. A life long league fan he was. Him, and eventually his kids, have slowly transitioned to afl.

Greenberg will be looked back on as the worst administrator in our history.
David Smith was one of our best, but because he fought back against news Corp he got ran out of the game.

Sydney media and the nswrl will ruin this game I love if its not released of its power soon, mark my words. Rant over.... Sorry everyone...

George "wigan's worst ever debut" burgess has been quoted saying he wouldn't be surprised if his brother Sam "my shoulders done for coincidentally when souffs are under cap pressure and my marriage broke down" burgess made a return to footy...

Now ffs, if this happens souffs should get the FULL AMOUNT put onto their cap PLUS a penalty... But they won't, at least if greenberg is still around. It shows how pathetic the ruling was that its even joked about. Pathetic ruling that has allowed souffs to dig themselves out of a cap hole and sign millions of dollars worth of talent at the expense of other clubs. I hate them more than any other club these days. They should win the comp this year, they have been given every opportunity to do so and we all know the nrl won't stop here with their favouritism. It's pissing off a lot of fans, a mate of mine cited it as the tipping point for him when they signed arrow. A life long league fan he was. Him, and eventually his kids, have slowly transitioned to afl.

Greenberg will be looked back on as the worst administrator in our history.
David Smith was one of our best, but because he fought back against news Corp he got ran out of the game.

Sydney media and the nswrl will ruin this game I love if its not released of its power soon, mark my words. Rant over.... Sorry everyone...

A bit harsh on old Sam, but you have some fair points

I thought he looked promising with limited opportunities. Didn't seem content to just play out a set and get to his kick, actually looked to put some plays on and looked impressive doing so. I'd say he's the most likely to be moved on and would be a handy pick-up for a club looking for a change or need somebody to fill a spot.
Thanks mate, cheers!

I dont see Sam making a comeback, but if he does his body is going to need a minimum of a 12 month break, and TBF to George, he did say it may happen in 3 years or so. I can only see him playing in Super league team if he comes back.

I dont see Sam making a comeback, but if he does his body is going to need a minimum of a 12 month break, and TBF to George, he did say it may happen in 3 years or so. I can only see him playing in Super league team if he comes back.
It doesn't matter when or where he plays. His contract got taken off the salary cap because it is a medical RETIREMENT, not a medical out of the game for a bit while you recover. He had 3 years left in his contract but even if he comes back after that there are massive, massive questions that will need to be asked. A medical retirement means it is THE REASON he retired, if he can rehab it in any way, shape or form then why was it the reason he retired? Because it was a bit hard? Because he couldn't be bothered? They arent valid reasons and neither was inglis'. An injury making a player not as good isn't a reason, it didn't stop him from playing. Yow yehs was a medical retirement, mckinnons was, they are what a medical retirement should be compared too. Greenberg bending over for souffs has opened up a can of worms that he only occasionally wants to open up, which is what is pissing people off. The salary cap is worth millions of dollars more for souths now due to the nrl, not great cap management. No other club in the nrl would have got Sam's contract off their books, maybe the roosters, and inglis' was even worse.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter when or where he plays. His contract got taken off the salary cap because it is a medical RETIREMENT, not a medical out of the game for a bit while you recover. He had 3 years left in his contract but even if he comes back after that there are massive, massive questions that will need to be asked. A medical retirement means it is THE REASON he retired, if he can rehab it in any way, shape or form then why was it the reason he retired? Because it was a bit hard? Because he couldn't be bothered? They arent valid reasons and neither was inglis'. An injury making a player not as good isn't a reason, it didn't stop him from playing. Yow yehs was a medical retirement, mckinnons was, they are what a medical retirement should be compared too. Greenberg bending over for souffs has opened up a can of worms that he only occasionally wants to open up, which is what is pissing people off. The salary cap is worth millions of dollars more for souths now due to the nrl, not great cap management. No other club in the nrl would have got Sam's contract off their books, maybe the roosters, and inglis' was even worse.

Of course you are allowed to rehab it and fix it- Gillett can get his neck operated on and fixed he doesn't have to suffer for the next 50 years. The rule says you can't play or train elite level contact sport not the injury lasts for the rest of your life.

It's not favouritism if other clubs are getting players retired too- Tigers got handed 800k a year when Matulino was retired a few weeks ago. Newcastle have had more than the other clubs.

Inglis cost the Rabbits 800k last year and he didn't kick a ball. He will cost them money again this year and won't play- he's not off their books.

Wallace/Panthers were treated the same as Inglis.

Last edited:
I do recall reading that somewhere but I thought somebody may have had their wires crossed since Walker hadn't been announced in any of their first grade squads. I expected him to be in their development squad.

I wonder if there is any truth to the rumour that a club has to wait until a player turns 18 before they can be considered an official member of the squad. That was the speculation surrounding Tom Dearden last year and why his name was scrubbed from the initial 24 man squad.

He's not 18 until June so you could make him a development player as he can't play before June anyway. He's training fulltime with the NRL squad and loving it.

Last edited:
Of course you are allowed to rehab it and fix it- Gillett can get his neck operated on and fixed he doesn't have to suffer for the next 50 years. The rule says you can't play or train elite level contact sport not the injury lasts for the rest of your life.

It's not favouritism if other clubs are getting players retired too- Tigers got handed 800k a year when Matulino was retired a few weeks ago. Newcastle have had more than the other clubs.

Inglis cost the Rabbits 800k last year and he didn't kick a ball. He will cost them money again this year and won't play- he's not off their books.

Wallace/Panthers were treated the same as Inglis.
Gillett falls into this category too, he wasn't medically retired for his neck. It was his shoulder.
If that's the criteria that is absolutely laughable and no wonder certain teams get more discretion then others. I would estimate 90% of players have injuries or repurcussions for the rest of their life post playing elite level sport. I actually guarantee you that is a low ball estimate for players who have played more than 200 games! Total knee replacements, shoulder replacements, hip replacements, concussions. A lot of them go to my old hospital, and I've discussed this very point with a few orthopaedic surgeons.

Last edited:

It will pan out exactly like it did when Maloney left. They will all get their chance to take over and if not, they will go immediately to the market and buy the best half available again. The ones that don't work out will be quickly discarded to the scrap heap.

Gillett falls into this category too, he wasn't medically retired for his neck. It was his shoulder.
If that's the criteria that is absolutely laughable and no wonder certain teams get more discretion then others. I would estimate 90% of players have injuries or repurcussions for the rest of their life post playing elite level sport. I actually guarantee you that is a low ball estimate for players who have played more than 200 games! Total knee replacements, shoulder replacements, hip replacements, concussions. A lot of them go to my old hospital, and I've discussed this very point with a few orthopaedic surgeons.

I don't really understand what your points is now? You said Burgess shouldn't be able to get his shoulder fixed- of course he can.

You couldn't make the rule, the injury has to last forever. The NRL are just interested in can you play NRL football anymore because of new injury that wasn't there when you signed your most recent contract.

If the rule was will it last forever what do you do? Souths we will review when GI dies and if in 2060 it is still causing him issues you can have salary cap relief- that's ridiculous.

So if the rule is they don't have to retire they probably shouldn't have the word retirement in the loophole's name. Either plain old incompetence or another attempt at smoke and mirrors from the NRL, take your pick.

So if the rule is they don't have to retire they probably shouldn't have the word retirement in the loophole's name. Either plain old incompetence or another attempt at smoke and mirrors from the NRL, take your pick.

You do have to retire, the other Burgess saying that is wrong. It does say elite level though so I would guess in 5 years you could play in Toowoomba if you wanted to- I would say elite is NRL, ESL or ISC.

If Gillett plays for Bribie in two years would anyone care really.

NRL Rule 86 (Medical Termination)

1. The Player, at the time of termination, was diagnosed as medically unfit to currently continue to train and play elite level contact sport and was medically unable to ever return to play elite level contact sport due to the current level of disability or the significant risk of further disabling injury as a result of playing elite level contract sport.

2. The Player, had no similar injury or medical condition to that area of the body that either has or could reasonably be predicted medically to lead to a degenerative condition of that area of the body prior to signing his last NRL contract or if the players contract was signed more than 24 months previous within the last 24 months unless an unrelated single event has resulted in rapid deterioration of this condition.

3. A single event that caused the injury could be identified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • Mustafur
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • kman
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.