NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The News thread in General would be the best spot.

The news just came in an hour ago that the mother lost her life in hospital. Allegedly she claimed that the husband had doused her in petrol as she escaped the inferno. Supposedly the husband had self-inflicted stab wounds which points to a murder-suicide.

As terrible as it is to say, it's for the best that she didn't make it. That's no way to live, severe burns to your entire body and living the rest of your life with the guilt that you made it out and your kids didn't. No thank you.

I don't get all this whinging about NRL blocking the loan deal ... the NRL were well within their rights to block it since it would have put the Storm over the cap ... (hell, if we were in the Storm's position, everyone would be applauding the NRL ...

Loans in European soccer work because their is no cap, it is merely a case of who will pay what portion of the players wage

now Grant has come out and said his piece ... some comments from him (and my replies to those comments)

“I’ve had the car full of gear for almost a month,”

why pack the bloody car before the deal was even approved ... especially when the type of deal has never before been attempted in Rugby league

“It’s not a way to try to rort the salary cap and get a win, it’s two clubs trying to develop players and fill holes in their roster. "

it is a way to get a win ... Storm need an outside back for their roster and the Tigers need a hooker ...

“For my development, I believe the next step for me is to play NRL and unfortunately I won’t get too many games at Melbourne,” Grant added.

when you re-signed with the Storm ... you knew (or should have known) they had two international hookers on their books, one of them is arguably the greatest hooker of all time.

I don't get all this whinging about NRL blocking the loan deal ... the NRL were well within their rights to block it since it would have put the Storm over the cap ... (hell, if we were in the Storm's position, everyone would be applauding the NRL ...

Loans in European soccer work because their is no cap, it is merely a case of who will pay what portion of the players wage

now Grant has come out and said his piece ... some comments from him (and my replies to those comments)

why pack the bloody car before the deal was even approved ... especially when the type of deal has never before been attempted in Rugby league

it is a way to get a win ... Storm need an outside back for their roster and the Tigers need a hooker ...

when you re-signed with the Storm ... you knew (or should have known) they had two international hookers on their books, one of them is arguably the greatest hooker of all time.

It depends on the club in Europe with soccer. Quite a few clubs will loan out their younger guys to develop them and still pick up the wages because it benefits them. Good system i think.

Last edited:

Completely agree with everything you've said.

Completely agree with everything you've said.

Except about Smith being arguably the greatest hooker of all time. It is a fact, there is absolutely no question unless you don't like the bloke. Whether he is the best player overall of all time, that is arguable and he is in with a more than fair shout.

The Storms cap must be in a bit of mess if that is the reason the loan was blocked, they've released a stack of players in the off season and still can't fit in what you would expect to be a relatively minimal amount.

So what that pretty much confirms is releasing Croft to us was about becoming cap compliant and also is why there was a standoff when they didn't want to have to chip in any of his wages.

My guess is that Cam Smith has played on longer than the Storm budgeted for and Smiths contract demands have put the Storms cap into a world of pain.

Except about Smith being arguably the greatest hooker of all time. It is a fact, there is absolutely no question unless you don't like the bloke. Whether he is the best player overall of all time, that is arguable and he is in with a more than fair shout.

I think there have been better players in terms of skill set than Smith, but in terms of influence, game control and performing at the level he has for the years he has, i think he is pretty much untouchable.

I think there have been better players in terms of skill set than Smith, but in terms of influence, game control and performing at the level he has for the years he has, i think he is pretty much untouchable.

Yeah it's about winning and he does that better than anyone. Mind you it's an unbelievable skill to defend in the middle for 400+ games, at his size, making 40-60 tackles per game and literally never being injured meanwhile controlling the ruck better than anyone else ever has.

So what that pretty much confirms is releasing Croft to us was about becoming cap compliant and also is why there was a standoff when they didn't want to have to chip in any of his wages.
I've been saying exactly this for a while now. If $16,000 was a problem, you can bet Croft's alleged $400-450k was definitely going to be a problem.

It also seems to suggest Melbourne won't be recruiting anyone who isn't on basically the minimum wage, and given that they still have spots vacant in their Top 30, they'll probably have to recruit internally now.

Last edited:
So, would it be something like:

Smith - $1.8m
Munster - $1.2m
Bromwich - $900k
Paps - $700k
Fox - $700k
Kaufusi - $600k

Everyone else like $200k each?

If those figures are anywhere near true, they are massive overs for all of them at this stage in their careers.

Anyone else vomit in their mouth When that Thurston drop goal statue was unveiled? not just me?

Last edited:
Conspiracy theory time. With the news today of Demetriou re-signing long-term with Souths and being labeled as the likely next head coach.

Shane Richardson off-contract end of 21'
Wayne Bennett off-contract end of 21'

Both have plenty of ties in Queensland. Wouldn't be surprised if they're the CEO/Head Coach of the new Brisbane expansion team, when it's eventually announced.

Conspiracy theory time. With the news today of Demetriou re-signing long-term with Souths and being labeled as the likely next head coach.

Both have plenty of ties in Queensland. Wouldn't be surprised if they're the CEO/Head Coach of the new Brisbane expansion team, when it's eventually announced.

I think it is basically a guarantee.

I doubt it. The stubborn old bastard will probably dig his heels in for another coaching contract.

Honestly, if Wayne at his age still has the stomach for a challenge like that by the time it rolls around (I thought 2023 was the realistic year proposed?) then I take my hat off to him.

Personally, I always suspected Bellamy after he's had a break and some time to put his feet up from Melbourne would have been the likely target and a perfect fit.

So the NRL flew these journos over to England on a junket?
I‘m sure mums and dads selling raffle tickets to keep junior clubs afloat would be ecstatic.

Brian Canavan is “retiring” soon too back home to QLD. Best administrator in the game.

He was the only full time staff with Bennett when the Broncos started. Saved Wally’s life too.

BC could be head of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.