NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@1910 Do you know if Gene Miles played for another Brisbane club before Wynnum? or am I getting him nixed up with Colin Scott

Colin Scott and Gene Miles were both coming down at the end of 1979 to play under Des Morris at Easts. Easts sacked Morris so Miles didn't come down until the end of 1981 and went to Wynnum where Morris was coaching by then. Scott spent two years at Easts and then followed Miles across to Wynnum. Scott played for Easts and Wynnum, Miles just Wynnum.

Miles was coming to Easts for $750 sign on and they blew it.

The Panthers Chairman Dave O'Neill has called for the post match press conferences with coaches should be axed ... he thinks they should happen 24 hours after the game.

this comes after Ivan Cleary (who actually won the game) accused the match officials of managing the Raiders back into the game. Cleary was fined 20k for this comment

here are Dave O'neills quotes:

“If you don’t want coaches to comment – and if you don’t like emotional responses – then don’t have the interviews,” O’Neill said.

“Have them the next day.

“If you want to have after-game interviews that are more structured, then hold them a day after the game. The reality is they are done in the heat-of-the-moment.”

“If people want to critique the coaches and be critical then don’t have them straight after the game,” O’Neill said. “Every coach will be a lot calmer the next day. And I’m sure all coaches would love that.

“The last thing you want to be doing as a coach – poor old Des Hasler gets pumped two weeks in a row – is to have microphones being stuck in their faces.

“I’m sure a day after, they would be happy to do it. If the interviews were 24 hours after a game, that would alleviate some of the emotional responses coaches comment on in the heat-of-the-moment.

“I feel sorry for all the NRL coaches. Rugby league coaches are under a lot of pressure and they’re judged more critically now than they ever have in the past because it’s a results-driven game. Obviously they say things in the heat of the moment.

“I’m a passionate person when it comes to football. When we win, I watch the replay four times. When we lose, I’m filthy. If someone put a microphone in my face after a game when we just had a dud call, I might make a dumb decision.”

“They took the captains away and that solved a bit of a problem too,” he said. “When you win, you, as coach, get taken away (to the media conference). That euphoria in a dressing room is something your coach should be part of. They are dragged away to go to a press conference.

“That euphoria is about team building, the inner sanctum, I’ve been there. You’re halfway through celebrating and they run in and say Channel 9 or Fox Sports are ready for them. The coach misses out on half the euphoria.”

Last edited:
The Panthers Chairman Dave O'Neill has called for the post match press conferences with coaches should be axed ... he thinks they should happen 24 hours after the game.

this comes after Ivan Cleary (who actually won the game) accused the match officials of managing the Raiders back into the game. Cleary was fined 20k for this comment

here are Dave O'neills quotes:

“If you don’t want coaches to comment – and if you don’t like emotional responses – then don’t have the interviews,” O’Neill said.

“Have them the next day.

“If you want to have after-game interviews that are more structured, then hold them a day after the game. The reality is they are done in the heat-of-the-moment.”

“If people want to critique the coaches and be critical then don’t have them straight after the game,” O’Neill said. “Every coach will be a lot calmer the next day. And I’m sure all coaches would love that.

“The last thing you want to be doing as a coach – poor old Des Hasler gets pumped two weeks in a row – is to have microphones being stuck in their faces.

“I’m sure a day after, they would be happy to do it. If the interviews were 24 hours after a game, that would alleviate some of the emotional responses coaches comment on in the heat-of-the-moment.

“I feel sorry for all the NRL coaches. Rugby league coaches are under a lot of pressure and they’re judged more critically now than they ever have in the past because it’s a results-driven game. Obviously they say things in the heat of the moment.

“I’m a passionate person when it comes to football. When we win, I watch the replay four times. When we lose, I’m filthy. If someone put a microphone in my face after a game when we just had a dud call, I might make a dumb decision.”

“They took the captains away and that solved a bit of a problem too,” he said. “When you win, you, as coach, get taken away (to the media conference). That euphoria in a dressing room is something your coach should be part of. They are dragged away to go to a press conference.

“That euphoria is about team building, the inner sanctum, I’ve been there. You’re halfway through celebrating and they run in and say Channel 9 or Fox Sports are ready for them. The coach misses out on half the euphoria.”

Maybe if O'Neil had reiterated the fact that the reffing has been shit since they were given the power of the six again rule and asked the NRL to raise their game and get some consistency within the ref's group coaches wouldn't need to go off about them manufacturing tight games.

Mind you you'd never see our coach get fined. He says virtually nothing about the bias we are up against.

Ivan Cleary only said the truth. Refs absolutely manage games.
He even covered his arse by saying "it felt like...", purely subjective. He was lead to this by the media and will any of the media cop a fine? Doubt it

But they will happily report on Ivan copping a huge 20k fine.

Last edited:
He even covered his arse by saying "it felt like...", purely subjective. He was lead to this by the media and will any of the media cop a fine? Doubt it

But they will happily report on Ivan copping a huge 20k fine.

Ivan knows or at least should have know that you can't go anywhere near that sort of comment (true or not) ... even if he precedes it with something like "it felt like ..."

not to mention the fact that his team won comfortably ... there was no benefit of him going there (only downsides)

anyone who has watch any rugby league over the last 5 years knows the refs are trained by the WWE, to ensure that manipulate the results, so winning coaches are stupid to go there

Somebody has to say it, and I applaud Ivan for going there, even though they are top of the ladder. I admire the bloke.
If you'd watched Manly's penalty record all season magically start to improve the week immediately following their blow up against the Refs in the Parramatta game, you'd realise that the fine money appears to be money very well spent indeed as far as the club's are concerned.

If you'd watched Manly's penalty record all season magically start to improve the week immediately following their blow up against the Refs in the Parramatta game, you'd realise that the fine money appears to be money very well spent indeed as far as the club's are concerned.
Wait...who receives the €20k? The NRL? Who employs the refs? The NRL? So basically it is a blatant bribe!

Mary McGregor has resigned from the Dragons. Fridays match will be his last in charge. Dean Young will be the interim coach for the remainder of the season.

his position likely became untenable when the club created a "selection committee" to chose the teams for him, lol

2020 has been a graveyard for coaches. by my count 4 coaches have been sacked or "reseigned" with likely a 5th before the pre-season starts

I have to ask why Joey Leilua is permitted to return to the Tigers bubble (after leaving it for family reasons) without undertaking 14 days isolation ... but seibs has to go into isolation after leaving ours for similar circumstances

I have to ask why Joey Leilua is permitted to return to the Tigers bubble (after leaving it for family reasons) without undertaking 14 days isolation ... but seibs has to go into isolation after leaving ours for similar circumstances
Given the whole thing was like 8 hours apart I'd assume he never actually "left the bubble". He probably had some sort of family emergency that didn't eventuate.

After the Warriors have sacrificed so much to ensure that the 2020 season continued, the NRL are repaying them be by banning their naming rights sponsor, Vodaphone. this is likely to cost the Warriors more than $1 million a season.

this is due to a conflict with an NRL major sponsor Telstra.

Vodaphone have had an association with the Warriors for 22 years

After the Warriors have sacrificed so much to ensure that the 2020 season continued, the NRL are repaying them be by banning their naming rights sponsor, Vodaphone. this is likely to cost the Warriors more than $1 million a season.

this is due to a conflict with an NRL major sponsor Telstra.

That is rather poor form.

WTF did Jesse Bromich do to cop.a suspension.
I've watched 10 or more times and can't see what the issue is.
It's been labelled a hip drop but **** me it looks like a regular tackle.
Can someone clarify ???

Last edited:
They ran through it on the NRL.com website. Supposedly clubs were warned about players dropping their body weight onto the lower extremities of their opponents and Bromwich happened to be a copybook example. It's just another form of a cannonball tackle, a completely lazy and potentially dangerous tackle.

I can't say I even noticed it and wouldn't have picked up on anything if Ikuvalu didn't react.

Proctor found guilty for a bite and Shaun Johnson could find himself in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • sooticus
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.