NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They ran through it on the NRL.com website. Supposedly clubs were warned about players dropping their body weight onto the lower extremities of their opponents and Bromwich happened to be a copybook example. It's just another form of a cannonball tackle, a completely lazy and potentially dangerous tackle.

I can't say I even noticed it and wouldn't have picked up on anything if Ikuvalu didn't react.

Proctor found guilty for a bite and Shaun Johnson could find himself in trouble.
So Josh Jackson does an extreme version of it last week on Munster ,which I thought at the time may be deliberate, and this week it's a "hip drop" .
It's a good thing it has been identified but like Payne Haas being done for a crusher, when some very dangerous examples have gone unpunished, the NRLs timing is suspicious.

Last edited:
After the Warriors have sacrificed so much to ensure that the 2020 season continued, the NRL are repaying them be by banning their naming rights sponsor, Vodaphone. this is likely to cost the Warriors more than $1 million a season.

this is due to a conflict with an NRL major sponsor Telstra.

Vodaphone have had an association with the Warriors for 22 years

I hope the NRL is finding them a suitable replacement

Still don’t see any biting action on Proctor

apparently Meninga is also facing a fine from the NRL for comments around Proctor's judiciary hearing

So Josh Jackson does an extreme version of it last week on Munster ,which I thought at the time may be deliberate, and this week it's a "hip drop" .
It's a good thing it has been identified but like Payne Haas being done for a crusher, when some very dangerous examples have gone unpunished, the NRLs timing is suspicious.

In the case of Jackson the first point of contact was around the shoulders, Munster nearly brushed him off until Jackson held on and got jumbled up. What the NRL appears to be looking at is group tackles where the third defender comes in late and targets the lower leg of his opponent with a twisting motion.

Fuiamono's effort on Paulo paints a clearer picture. It also received a higher grading which looking at the two appears to be fair.

I can't believe Jarome Luai received nothing for his head stomp on Nikorima. Accident or not, what he did was dangerous and could have easily been avoided. I don't even buy that it was entirely an accident, I don't think he cared about the wellbeing of his opponent, otherwise he would have adjusted his line accordingly. I believe he took the odds to it, he wasn't going to let Nikorima compromise his chase, if he stomped on him, so be it.

I can't believe Jarome Luai received nothing for his head stomp on Nikorima. Accident or not, what he did was dangerous and could have easily been avoided. I don't even buy that it was entirely an accident, I don't think he cared about the wellbeing of his opponent, otherwise he would have adjusted his line accordingly. I believe he took the odds to it, he wasn't going to let Nikorima compromise his chase, if he stomped on him, so be it.
Personally I wouldn't have been overly surprised if he'd been suspended, but I do personally think the slowed down replay does to a large extent make it look more avoidable than it probably was in reality. The fact it happened so close to the in goal as well means he only had eyes for the ball, which is probably quite a difficult instinct for a lot of players to ignore. I accept he was possibly a bit careless or reckless but I think in full speed it is honestly a decision made in a fraction of a second and it's very hard to be be too harsh on someone for an outcome under those circumstances.

Personally I wouldn't have been overly surprised if he'd been suspended, but I do personally think the slowed down replay does to a large extent make it look more avoidable than it probably was in reality. The fact it happened so close to the in goal as well means he only had eyes for the ball, which is probably quite a difficult instinct for a lot of players to ignore. I accept he was possibly a bit careless or reckless but I think in full speed it is honestly a decision made in a fraction of a second and it's very hard to be be too harsh on someone for an outcome under those circumstances.
Nah the video is damning IMO , you can see his stride change and he lifts his leg higher. Players are so good at making things look possibly accidental.

Any video of the incident? Or if you remember roughly what point in the game it was I'll find it on Kayo.

Any video of the incident? Or if you remember roughly what point in the game it was I'll find it on Kayo.

Again, I don't think he deserved a serious suspension, but nothing? No penalty? No warning from the match review committee?

It actually looks worse than I remember. Nikorima puts a fair body shot, Luai even appears to look at him hit the ground and then proceeds to step on the back of his head anyways. It wasn't like Nikorima moved his body at the last second, Luai just stomps on him.

Again, I don't think he deserved a serious suspension, but nothing? No penalty? No warning from the match review committee?

It actually looks worse than I remember. Nikorima puts a fair body shot, Luai even appears to look at him hit the ground and then proceeds to step on the back of his head anyways. It wasn't like Nikorima moved his body at the last second, Luai just stomps on him.
100% charge worthy for mine. It's certainly not less worthy than careless high tackles.

I see it the same way as you, it's pretty damn obvious he did it on purpose because he couldn't be bothered changing line. Almost exactly like a reckless high tackle because players get a bit lazy and slip, but this is less excusable. I would actually think a reckless charge is fair in that instance.

You have to wonder if they actually make a call not to charge incidents like that, or if it just slips through undetected.

Especially when you are seeing players get charged for crusher tackles where the attacking player is mostly responsible by backing into the defender.

Especially when you are seeing players get charged for crusher tackles where the attacking player is mostly responsible by backing into the defender.
I get the feeling that the commentators have a bit of influence here too. Saying things like "not intentional" when they have absolutely no way of knowing that. That's entirely subjective. They often will say something like "oh, that's a crusher" and it leads the judiciary. As if they aren't watching the footy with commentary.

@McHunt is this your work?

“Richard Branson gave us all a present of mobile phones with months worth of credit on them. Another time, five of us opened the Brit Awards on drums with Queen and Five!

“And there was also the time we stripped off to pose as centrefolds in the gay magazine Campaign. They were always interesting times when Richard owned the club.

🤣 I love Seibs.

Can we give him an extension?

Last edited:
@McHunt is this your work?

🤣 I love Seibs.

Can we give him an extension?
Wait, read that bit again " “And there was also the time we stripped off to pose as centrefolds in the gay magazine Campaign." That'll do me :rofl

Griffin apparently favourite for the Dragons job, unless Fitzgibbon changes his mind and wants to go for it

What ever happened to the Dragons having a lash at bringing Wayne Bennett back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.