NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
completely disagree.

IMO, he get found out when Cam Smith is no longer there doing the organising

Maybe, time will tell. Remember when almost everyone was saying Kodi was a rubbish half? Well this year he kinda proved that wrong.

Maybe, time will tell. Remember when almost everyone was saying Kodi was a rubbish half? Well this year he kinda proved that wrong.
I'd still say he's not a great Half, it's just that in time it was proven that Milford was equally poor with or without Kodi rather than it just all being Kodi's fault.

it wasn't that he (kodi) was a rubbish half ... just that he wasn't the type of half we needed given we already had a running half in Milford ... in fact, i'm starting to think that Seibs allowed the wrong one to leave

Wait a second, he was a shit half when they said it though.

Wait a second, he was a shit half when they said it though.

Sure but Hughes is killing it and people still say he is effectively only good because of the team he is in. Which half doesn't benefit from being in a good system?

Sure but Hughes is killing it and people still say he is effectively only good because of the team he is in. Which half doesn't benefit from being in a good system?

I think it is more talking about a half in the traditional since of organising etc. I view him as a fullback that has been allowed to excel due to the fact that all true half play is handled by Smith and to a lesser extent Munster. If you watch him he is essentially playing the role of a fullback in the halves, although he had surprised me with some kicks. I would love Hughes as our Fullback but not as a half especially at his price tag.

it wasn't that he (kodi) was a rubbish half ... just that he wasn't the type of half we needed given we already had a running half in Milford ... in fact, i'm starting to think that Seibs allowed the wrong one to leave
I thought the main problem with Kodi is that he was a speed bump in defense. Unfortunately so was Croft :(

I thought the main problem with Kodi is that he was a speed bump in defense. Unfortunately so was Croft :(

basically, we needed an organising half ... but Milford and Niko were both running halves.

we still wanted Niko as a bench impact weapon ... but he wanted a start as a half and got himself one, he seems to have taken it with both hands.

Just to bring it back to Hughes for a moment it's an interesting proposition he's in.

The Storm have to re-sign Grant and they've got Pap off contract end of 2022. Munster is already tied down on big money through til 2023. That leaves Hughes (who could be a prem winning half next week) at the negotiation table maybe wanting a deal that is better than what he's being offered/what the Storm can afford.

Take a pay cut and stick around for the post-CS9/Bellamy era at Melbourne or chase the cash at another club in which the system may not suit his halfback skillset and risk being another ex-Storm flop.

I'd take him in a heartbeat for fullback. He'd be excellent and a 2nd/3rd kicking option too. He'd be a top tier fullback IMO. He's not a halfback for mine.

I'd take him in a heartbeat for fullback. He'd be excellent and a 2nd/3rd kicking option too. He'd be a top tier fullback IMO. He's not a halfback for mine.

He has been excellent at 7 for Melbourne, but i think he wouldn't be a quality 7 anywhere else. The storms system fits him in well.

100% this.

I think Papenhuyzen has jumped a few places in the overall ranking of fullbacks after last nights grand final.

At 22yo it is pretty impressive to already have a premiership and Clive Churchill on his resume after only 2 seasons in first grade. I know Keary won his first prem at 22 but wasn't a CCM recipient and Slater didn't get his first prem or CCM until he was 26yo. That game showed us all that Papenhuyzen can handle the big moments.

It'll be interesting to see his career develop and how he gets on once Smith and Bellamy move on.

Is it safe to say he's Teddy's successor for the NSW #1 jersey or Turbo Tom still ahead?

I think Papenhuyzen has jumped a few places in the overall ranking of fullbacks after last nights grand final.

At 22yo it is pretty impressive to already have a premiership and Clive Churchill on his resume after only 2 seasons in first grade. I know Keary won his first prem at 22 but wasn't a CCM recipient and Slater didn't get his first prem or CCM until he was 26yo. That game showed us all that Papenhuyzen can handle the big moments.

It'll be interesting to see his career develop and how he gets on once Smith and Bellamy move on.

Is it safe to say he's Teddy's successor for the NSW #1 jersey or Turbo Tom still ahead?

I'd say Turbo is just a far more complete player...if he can stay healthy.

I'd say Turbo is just a far more complete player...if he can stay healthy.

I agree but Turbo's versatility may work against him. It might be hard to avoid the temptation to get them both in the starting side

The Rugby League saviour Peter Vlandys is pushing the comission to change the Immortals rule, removing the 5 year post retirement requirement, so Cam Smith can be named an immortal as soon as he retires.

Phil Slothfield agrees with this stance

The Rugby League saviour Peter Vlandys is pushing the comission to change the Immortals rule, removing the 5 year post retirement requirement, so Cam Smith can be named an immortal as soon as he retires.

Surely V'Landy's has better things he could be spending his time on you'd have thought?

Stupid and largely unnecessary change. Surely putting at least a decade between retirement and any induction into the Immortal ranks makes more sense.

Someone like Johns and even Lockyer should really only be getting considered now at the earliest and the likes of Smith and Thurston are a decision for around 2030.

That's fucking ridiculous, would be the only professional sport that has that criteria for their highest honour. I wish this guy would just **** off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brocko
  • Redux
  • Broncorob
  • Harry Sack
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Porthoz
  • Battler
  • The Don
  • NSW stables
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Mustafur
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.