NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Maguire, he had the opportunity to lead a similar dynasty at South Sydney and fell flat on his face. Unlike Robbo who rejuvenated his roster, Madge stayed loyal to his 2014 roster and it backfired spectacularly. Maguire is far from a bad coach, but the fact Robbo was able to sustain his success over a longer period is a credit to him.

It's a similar story with Craig Bellamy. A lot of people point to his NSW record as an example of him being unable to coach outside of Melbourne. They could have a point, but even after the salary cap scandal, they've been the most consistent club since 2011. Can you think of any occasion where a team has been able to beat them without playing quality football?

I'm curious to see how Cleary goes this year. Ever since he became an NRL coach in 2006, he's largely taken on jobs where the clubs don't have any serious premiership aspirations. He'll get them to a certain point and he'll either leave or get shown the door. This is the first time he's had any serious expectations so he has to win that premiership if he's going to put himself in that category.

Back to Robbo, he's in an interesting phase of his coaching career. His senior players were really beginning to show their age towards the end of the season and while he still has one of the best rosters in the competition, he's going to have to bring in more young players. I think for as much credit as Cooper and Teddy get, Victor Radley was such an important part of that 2018-19 roster. His efforts constantly lifted the team and allowed them to play a more expansive style that became virtually impossible to defend against.

Before Victor hit the scene, it was like they were trying to get Cooper to play Pearce and it just wasn't working for them. Robbo needs some more players like that to emerge otherwise he could end up like Sticky.

He does have an endless supply of the most elite kids coming through plus picking up whoever he wants when he wants so Robbo should be ok.

Speaking of Maguire, he had the opportunity to lead a similar dynasty at South Sydney and fell flat on his face. Unlike Robbo who rejuvenated his roster, Madge stayed loyal to his 2014 roster and it backfired spectacularly. Maguire is far from a bad coach, but the fact Robbo was able to sustain his success over a longer period is a credit to him.

It's a similar story with Craig Bellamy. A lot of people point to his NSW record as an example of him being unable to coach outside of Melbourne. They could have a point, but even after the salary cap scandal, they've been the most consistent club since 2011. Can you think of any occasion where a team has been able to beat them without playing quality football?

I'm curious to see how Cleary goes this year. Ever since he became an NRL coach in 2006, he's largely taken on jobs where the clubs don't have any serious premiership aspirations. He'll get them to a certain point and he'll either leave or get shown the door. This is the first time he's had any serious expectations so he has to win that premiership if he's going to put himself in that category.

Back to Robbo, he's in an interesting phase of his coaching career. His senior players were really beginning to show their age towards the end of the season and while he still has one of the best rosters in the competition, he's going to have to bring in more young players. I think for as much credit as Cooper and Teddy get, Victor Radley was such an important part of that 2018-19 roster. His efforts constantly lifted the team and allowed them to play a more expansive style that became virtually impossible to defend against.

Before Victor hit the scene, it was like they were trying to get Cooper to play Pearce and it just wasn't working for them. Robbo needs some more players like that to emerge otherwise he could end up like Sticky.
Your point about Madge is fair, but I think Robbo gets credit here that isn't entirely of his own making. It's fine to say Madge stuck solid with some guys for too long, but it's also far, far easier to be like Robbo and make the call to replace those older guys who might have already peaked when you know you're able to instantly go to market and pick up an absolutely perfect replacement at the drop of a hat with almost no regard for needing to fit it into a salary cap environment.

When they need an elite Halfback, one materialises seemingly out of nowhere, regardless of his current contract position that's in place or the contract position of the guy the Roosters are looking to replace. The same goes when they need an elite Backrower (think Crichton) or any other position.

Basically, no other club can pull that off and operate this way not have the NRL absolutely all over them for it and it just so happens to be that this is the club Robbo is lucky enough to Coach at.

Last edited:
See, I don't think Robbo had it that much easier. Shane Richardson was a fantastic CEO in his own right and made every club he worked with better (Cronulla 90s, Penrith 00s, Souths 2010s). I don't think there's that much between him or a Politis and as I wrote earlier, Souths had been encroaching on Sydney's junior catchment for years. They had a strong base there and while Richo left to join the Comission it wasn't like Souths struggled to attract talent, they were as active as anyone, the issue is how Madge managed it and even the type of high profile signings they went after. This might be a controversial take, but I don't think Sam Burgess was the type of player they should have been chasing - I don't think he consistently led the team well.

It wasn't like everything went to play for Robbo either. After coaching Sydney to three minor premiership he lost his two best players in Tuivasa-Sheck and Maloney without any immediate replacements. On top of that, you had the Mitchell Pearce drama and a crippling injury toll and they struggled. This is what separates the good and the bad coaches right. The bad coach just keeps digging and hoping it will turn around which it never does. The good coach adjusts and uses the opportunity to build new combinations and improve the players he has.

So by the time Tedesco and Cronk became available two years later, the Roosters had a very strong base to work with because Robbo adjusted to the situation.

I'm suspicious of their cap, especially since they have this in-demand player seemingly on a far smaller salary than what was reported. However when it comes to bringing players in and when to let them go they're a step ahead of everyone else. So many clubs would have caved into Latrell's demands, Sydney simply wished him all the best.

Last edited:
I think no one cares yet because he hasn't played since September 2019. He's playing on Saturday against the Raiders and if he plays well it will attract attention.

Clubs would be waiting now to see how he handles playing against men. But the Roosters have the jump now, taken him down there, Parents love them, taken him to the UK, let him play golf all last year and train, got him through his first year away from home, he lost a lot of weight- which he's put back on.

It's going to take a lot to get him away because they made the effort.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am bored.

I did the exercise, the only person from my search that posted about Sam Walker pre 2019 was you. Apparently not on anyone else's radar.

Robbo is my tip for first coach sacked in 21.. A roughy for sure and would need good odds, I think the Roosters may have a very hard transition year.

Today Fogarty was named as a Titans co-captain along with Proctor

Don't quote or crucify me for this, I've just been told that Redcliffe will win the bid for next team and may even be in the competition next year

Don't quote or crucify me for this, I've just been told that Redcliffe will win the bid for next team and may even be in the competition next year

I don't think anyone would be surprised if this comes to be.

Ok, I'll get the ball going.......................Milford to Redcliffe.............. 😎

Yep any reasonable person would think you add two teams and try to negotiate a better broadcast deal with it

Unless this pointlessness was part of the last evidently horrible negotiated deal?

Why add 2 for the sake of it though? What if only 1 team is feasible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manifesto
  • Strop
  • GCBRONCO
  • mrslong
  • Dash
  • lynx000
  • broncos4life
  • Morkel
  • FACTHUNT
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bert_lifts
  • Allo
  • jd87
  • Gray
  • winslow_wong
  • Waynesaurus
  • achievedrap
  • NSW stables
  • I bleed Maroon
  • RolledOates
... and 65 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.