NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warriors to be based in Australia until June 21​

The Warriors have announced they will remain based on the NSW Central Coast until at least June 21 due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

It means the club's first possible home game at Mount Smart Stadium would come in round 16 when they face the Dragons on Friday, July 2.

The team was based in Australia for almost the entire 2020 season, relocating to the NSW town of Terrigal when the season resumed in round three.

"It was our hope initially that we would be able to return home for our April 9 match against Manly Warringah but the resurgence in COVID-19 transmissions in New Zealand leaves us with no option but to extend our stay," Warriors CEO Cameron George said.

"Indications are the introduction of any Trans-Tasman bubble will happen later than originally hoped. On that basis, we've had discussions with the NRL and our players and staff about delaying our return to ensure we have some continuity for the first 15 rounds of the competition.

"We thank our members, fans and sponsors for their support, understanding and patience through these challenging times while we've been preparing for the 2021 season at our home away from home on the Central Coast.

"Clearly this hasn't been the outcome we wanted, particularly after being away from home for the entire 2020 season, but I hope our determination to front up for our fans, our partners, and our country gives everyone cause to be proud of the club and excited to be part of another premiership challenge.

"When it's safe to do so, we look forward to sharing the biggest homecoming party with everyone at Mount Smart Stadium but for now the players and staff are focused on the opening round of the season against Gold Coast on Saturday week."

The sacrifice these guys are making is absolutely huge. I think it's gone a little unnoticed, and somewhat underappreciated by the game.

One would hope the clubs would do this for at the least, mates rates.

Supposedly cooper drink has a 6 figure coaching deal with the roosters for some halves coaching a few days a week.... nothing suss there is there hahahaha

not to mention the time difference is a perfect selling point, so the TV networks can play an extra game live rather than on delay
The travel is horrendous though, even NZ is closer and faster! It can take between 5 and 6.5 hours to get to Perth, not so bad coming home though. It's usually only 4 hours thereabouts coming back to Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne. Long time on a plane especially for bruised or broken footballers.

Mind you, I wish they'd get a team in Perth and the players are paid well so some travel discomfort could be handled.

That's what the smart former halves do, 100k for a bit of halves coaching/mentoring and Cronk is picking it up from Storm and Roosters. Johns does the same at Eels.

Not sure it's the best use of your soft cap but if they want to pay it I wouldn't be knocking it back for three days.

Last edited:
That's what the smart former halves do, 100k for a bit of halves coaching/mentoring and Cronk is picking it up from Storm and Roosters. Johns does the same at Eels.

Not sure it's the best use of your soft cap but if they want to pay it I wouldn't be knocking it back for three days.
IF you're effectively using it as a way to encourage someone like Cronk to sign a playing contract then it's probably a very effective way to use your soft cap money.

IF you're effectively using it as a way to encourage someone like Cronk to sign a playing contract then it's probably a very effective way to use your soft cap money.

Cronk is the straightest arrow in the world. He has the same gig at the Storm and he left there; so it wasn't enough to get him to sign.

Alf, Walters and Petero do the same thing here. Lockyer was doing leadership training and getting paid.

The issue should be he is doing it for two clubs and two clubs that could very well meet in a Grand FInal or final not that's he's doing some consultancy work and getting paid well- that's just the norm.

Last edited:
Cronk is the straightest arrow in the world. He has the same gig at the Storm and he left there; so it wasn't enough to get him to sign.

Alf, Walters and Petero do the same thing here. Lockyer was doing leadership training and getting paid.

The issue should be he is doing it for two clubs and two clubs that could very well meet in a Grand FInal or final not that's he's doing some consultancy work and getting paid well- that's just the norm.
This is spot on. I note the Storm are not worried about a halves coach working for 2 teams at the same time sharing secrets.......but a CEO taking up work at another club after leaving the Storm, no, that's a court case right there.

The sacrifice these guys are making is absolutely huge. I think it's gone a little unnoticed, and somewhat underappreciated by the game.
I totally agree. They are saving the competition from being thrown into turmoil this season again.
I know I am going to get shot down for this but I think there is a case to be made that because of the Warriors circumstances and effectively having to play every match 'away' they should be given some extra competition points as compensation for the huge sacrifices they are making.
I know this won't happen as the other clubs would blow up about it but I really think there is a case for it.

this really should be in the Bag out thread ... but the 2021 NRL campaign ads was a waste of time and money... (not that they spent much on it, i could have done what they did on my home PC ... hell, @Super Freak does much better work)

basically a few clips from last year with some quotes from Abdo; I'm actually surprised they didn't use quotes from that media whore PVL

here it is for anyone board shitless ... called "Defy Impossible"

this really should be in the Bag out thread ... but the 2021 NRL campaign ads was a waste of time and money... (not that they spent much on it, i could have done what they did on my home PC ... hell, @Super Freak does much better work)

basically a few clips from last year with some quotes from Abdo; I'm actually surprised they didn't use quotes from that media whore PVL

Would prefer to head to YouTube to watch instead of feeding clicks to the shit rag

We can only hope the Broncos' media 'team' have moved on to the NRL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.