NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Storm v Rabbits at AAMI Park??? I'm totally going to see that one live!!

LOL at Slothfield ... named his top 50 players in the game, and starts the list with a player who is not even eligible to play NRL until August.

according to him Joseph Suaalii is the 50th best player in the comp

LOL at Slothfield ... named his top 50 players in the game, and starts the list with a player who is not even eligible to play NRL until August.

It was a hell of a trial...

Suaalii shouldn’t even be rated at the moment.
Think he will be playing well before August though.
Uncle Nick has too much clout for him not too.

Suaalii shouldn’t even be rated at the moment.
Think he will be playing well before August though.
Uncle Nick has too much clout for him not too.

Do we need the rule anymore? Players are ready younger and younger now than ever before. JT13 was the last one and he was 17- hasn't hurt him. I know that doesn't mean every 17 year can do it.

They are so well prepared now, both mentally, emotionally and financially. I would feel better now about playing at 17 than back when Brasher or Fittler did it- the game is a lot safer now.

Do we need the rule anymore? Players are ready younger and younger now than ever before. JT13 was the last one and he was 17- hasn't hurt him. I know that doesn't mean every 17 year can do it.

They are so well prepared now, both mentally, emotionally and financially. I would feel better now about playing at 17 than back when Brasher or Fittler did it- the game is a lot safer now.

And it helps that the Roosters want to do it.

maybe we no longer need this rule (although i understand the ISC has a similar rule) ... but the NRL shouldn't be making exceptions to it.

either scrap it or enforce it.

because it won't be fair to the next team that has a 17 year old they want to play, that likely won't have the hype surrounding him that Suaalii does, so the NRL deny the exemption

maybe we no longer need this rule (although i understand the ISC has a similar rule) ... but the NRL shouldn't be making exceptions to it.

either scrap it or enforce it.

because it won't be fair to the next team that has a 17 year old they want to play, that likely won't have the hype surrounding him that Suaalii does, so the NRL deny the exemption

ISC/QRL does but you know what when the Broncos asked for Boyd to play ISC early they looked at it and allowed him to play at 17.

That's a perfect example of scrapping the rule.

Why can't it be no rule, but look at case by case. I wouldn't be looking at anyone that isn't at least 17 and look at their welfare- How often is it going to come up anyway?

Currently four players in the NRL that played before they were 18!

Last edited:
Not the sub-forum / thread for it, but we're struggling to fill up the BHQ SuperCoach NRL league this year, still 5 spots remaining.

League code is: 294907 - Join up if you're serious about SC :)

Not the sub-forum / thread for it, but we're struggling to fill up the BHQ SuperCoach NRL league this year, still 5 spots remaining.

Even if you're not, I mean @Porthoz is in there and he sucks.

ISC/QRL does but you know what when the Broncos asked for Boyd to play ISC early they looked at it and allowed him to play at 17.

That's a perfect example of scrapping the rule.

Why can't it be no rule, but look at case by case. I wouldn't be looking at anyone that isn't at least 17 and look at their welfare- How often is it going to come up anyway?

Currently four players in the NRL that played before they were 18!
I mean like all things age related, the line has to be drawn some where, no matter how arbitrary. You wouldn’t look at anyone that isn’t at least 17? So you’re making the rule but a year earlier. Some people can drink sensibly at 15 some can manage it at 35.

It’s just how age works.

I mean like all things age related, the line has to be drawn some where, no matter how arbitrary. You wouldn’t look at anyone that isn’t at least 17? So you’re making the rule but a year earlier. Some people can drink sensibly at 15 some can manage it at 35.

It’s just how age works.

Yeah I understand that, but I wouldn't make the rule 17, clubs can come and apply for a 16 year old but I wouldn't approve it.

Suaalii is still at school two days a week- if they were seriously concerned about his education/welfare he would be there five I think. Not letting him play because he needs to mature and have an education is a bit of a silly thing to say when you're letting him go to school less than half a week.

If we have four players in the game, one is Copley too then what's one more? Why such an uproar now?

I think they're better equipped now than ever before. Really the rule should have been in place 40 years ago when some 17 year old could have got their head taken off by some boof head.

Last edited:
That's a good point about Tanah Boyd, but I think it's a false equivalency to compare the NRL to the QRL, especially in the context of the selection. T. Boyd was given special dispensation because Allan was away on representative duty, he was only a few weeks off from turning 18 and it was against the competition stragglers.

If the plan was for Suaalii to play the Bulldogs in Round 17 as a once off, it would still cause a stir but it would be a lot more understandable than giving him an entire season.

First off you have to consider why the rule was brought in. Yes, they're better prepared but so are the senior players, exposing these young players too early was considered too harmful on both a physical and a mental point of view.

Second, and more specific to this situation I don't like the implication that Suaalii is better prepared because he happened to come through the Roosters system. I've made no bones about it, the deal looks sus to me on paper and this is just another element where he's basically been promised a first grade spot and the club would 'sort' it out.

It just creates an unfair playing field and it stinks of a bargaining chip.

Retweet.

3 spots left.

I really hope the likes of @JAHHW @BroncsFan @Renegade @kooly87 @Sproj @PNG Broncos fan88 @Wolfie @upthebroncs are signed up.
I almost had to Google what SuperCoach was, I’m that bad at it.
I’m also incredibly capable of making a fool of myself in a myriad of other ways, so I’ll pass thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Mustafur
  • Mister Wright
  • Morkel
  • sooticus
  • Harry Sack
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • bert_lifts
  • Tim K
  • Stix
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • FACTHUNT
  • Spoon
  • Fatboy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • westy316
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.