NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
on a different note, the AFL has just introduced a medical substitute for concussion and game ending injuries, could somethin like that work in the NRL and is it worth considering?

details from AFL.com

• all clubs will be able use 23 players for each game instead of the regular 22, but that extra 23rd player will only be able to take the field after club doctors have assessed an injured or concussed player as 'medically unfit' to continue in the match.
  • To be eligible for a medical substitution, the club doctor must decide that an injured player will be unable to play a game in the next 12 days.
  • Club doctors must provide the AFL with a medical certificate on the first working day after the match as evidence the substituted player sustained the injury.
  • Should a subbed-out player recover from an injury other than concussion before the next match, he may be granted to play provided his return is ticked off by the AFL Medical Officer.
  • Any club found to be breaking the medical substitute rule can be sanctioned "for conduct unbecoming, or prejudicial to the interests or reputation of the AFL, or to bring the game of football into disrepute".
  • Clubs will name a 'normal' squad of 22 players and four emergencies the evening before the game, but they won't have to name the 23rd 'medical substitute' player until final teams are confirmed an hour before the first bounce.
We'd need at least two spares.

Last edited:
Except they have a caveat equivalent to a medical "things change bro"

Yeah that is a pretty stupid caveat. Players should only be allowed to sub out for concussion, no other reason OR simply make it so they have to sit out the next game regardless, it will help stop any abuse of the rule.

I’m sorry but I can’t completely agree with a lot of this post and I feel sick I will defend 360 here, though I do agree with parts.

Don’t get me wrong, they Cronk thing WAS horrible and should never have happened and I still feel a bit annoyed about it. I also hate that someone like Hooper is even on the show, he’s rubbish as a commentator on anything league.

I think they do cover league mostly but they do tend to go for some sensationalism but even just this week, the segments on concussion have been excellent. There are parts of the show that are horrible but I quite like watching it, even if I disagree with a lot of what’s said at times, I don’t see how it isn’t mostly about football?

As for Rudolph, I don’t even think he should have been warned. His comments were taken out of context and out of proportion. As I mentioned previously, they could easily have been taken as a comment against what used to happen after games, this isn’t a stretch at all.

Also, apparently his comments were made after 10pm on a show more targeted toward an adult audience. He didn’t single out men or women and he very quickly stated he was joking. He could have been privately told to be a bit more careful with his words in the future privately and everyone moves on.

I’ve sure made some jokes where I almost immediately thought, hmm that could have been taken the wrong way, I hope I didn’t offend anyone and hope no one will hold it against me.

Absolute rubbish he’s been given an official warning for it, I hear far worse at work from men and women.
The point of the show isn't about football, it's about promoting these 'personalities' they have and their reactions. It's disingenuous coverage that's designed to promote these click-bait articles because sports journalism is in a terrible state at the moment. Even last night they couldn't help themselves and the biggest talking point was Brandy's confrontation with Kent. They just sling mud to see whatever sticks and it's not helping the game one iota.

I don't personally have a problem with what Rudolf said but I could understand why a media manager would want to have a word about it. I think the NRL stepping in is over the top and just seems to be signal boosting more than anything else. However it wasn't said after 10pm, it was the post-show coverage which bleeds into the Matty Johns Show.

The point of the show isn't about football, it's about promoting these 'personalities' they have and their reactions. It's disingenuous coverage that's designed to promote these click-bait articles because sports journalism is in a terrible state at the moment. Even last night they couldn't help themselves and the biggest talking point was Brandy's confrontation with Kent. They just sling mud to see whatever sticks and it's not helping the game one iota.

I don't personally have a problem with what Rudolf said but I could understand why a media manager would want to have a word about it. I think the NRL stepping in is over the top and just seems to be signal boosting more than anything else. However it wasn't said after 10pm, it was the post-show coverage which bleeds into the Matty Johns Show.

That Brandy exchange was pathetic but Kent raised a totally valid point. Brandy didn't have an answer for it and so got aggressive. I don't see how that wasn't football related though? They are talking about contracts and fairness, that is pretty football related to me.

And yes, of course NRL journalism is awful, it is basically constantly making up rumours in the hope one day you will be right. That said, the show does talk about football, they even have ridiculously annoying ads every week from Matt Nable that get longer and longer.

Last edited:
His comments were completely inline with the endless lowest common denominator humour that’s been league media culture since the games inception. To pull Rudolph up for making a joke that was just a water downed version of the same humour Fatty, Matty Johns, Fittler, Andrew Johns, Hindmarsh, Finch, Fletcher etc etc have been doing for decades is a bit unfair.

The Cheese and Munster were applauded by the team of man children at Fox for their unashamed post GF bender candidness.
They weren't writing low-brow articles in 1895. It all started in the 90s with The Footy Show which was a product of it's time and was trying to appeal to a more casual audience.

That Brandy exchange was pathetic but Kent raised a totally valid point. Brandy didn't have an answer for it and so got aggressive. I don't see how that wasn't football related though? They are talking about contracts and fairness, that is pretty football related to me.

And yes, of course NRL journalism is awful, it is basically constantly making up rumours in the hope one day you will be right. That said, the show does talk about football, they even ridiculously annoying ads every week from Matt Nable that get longer and longer.
I'm not saying it isn't football related, I'm saying the point of the show isn't about football it's about a bunch of trolls exploiting the game to get you to tune in and see them argue over the top of one another. When they get called into question they throw a tantrum and just continue with their own brand of reality television.

And yes, of course NRL journalism is awful, it is basically constantly making up rumours in the hope one day you will be right. That said, the show does talk about football, they even have ridiculously annoying ads every week from Matt Nable that get longer and longer.
The stupid thing is Brandy couldve quite easily justified the reasoning so the Panthers come out looking compassionate:
- Burton has a contract for 2022 and is secure, however we require him for this year in case of injuries, etc. Panthers have developed Burton through the pathways program and no one was complaining last year when Burton was plying his trade in reserve grade ie. Panthers remain a suitable place for Burton to continue his development and see out his contract, and he could quite easily come into first grade as he's the next cab off the rank

- Mansour did not have a contract for 2022 and was notified that he wasnt in the Panther's plans moving forward. Panthers wouldve liked to keep Mansour as depth in case of injuries, however if he was able to find a new contract elsewhere the Panthers weren't going to stand in his way to ensure that he could secure his future.

Simple... Burton was on peanuts and next inline from the depth chart... Mansour was better than a reserve grader but didn't have security beyond 2021 so they let him go and find a new contract

That may not be the specific reasons they did it, but it creates a far better narrative

Last edited:
I'm not saying it isn't football related, I'm saying the point of the show isn't about football it's about a bunch of trolls exploiting the game to get you to tune in and see them argue over the top of one another. When they get called into question they throw a tantrum and just continue with their own brand of reality television.

Well in that case, yeah you are right.

PVL is now taking credit for "saving" the AFL from financial ruin during the pandemic last season

he says a lot of self serving dribble which i can post if people actually want to read it

The stupid thing is Brandy couldve quite easily justified the reasoning so the Panthers come out looking compassionate:
- Burton has a contract for 2022 and is secure, however we require him for this year in case of injuries, etc. Panthers have developed Burton through the pathways program and no one was complaining last year when Burton was plying his trade in reserve grade ie. Panthers remain a suitable place for Burton to continue his development and see out his contract, and he could quite easily come into first grade as he's the next cab off the rank

- Mansour did not have a contract for 2022 and was notified that he wasnt in the Panther's plans moving forward. Panthers wouldve liked to keep Mansour as depth in case of injuries, however if he was able to find a new contract elsewhere the Panthers weren't going to stand in his way to ensure that he could secure his future.

Simple... Burton was on peanuts and next inline from the depth chart... Mansour was better than a reserve grader but didn't have security beyond 2021 so they let him go and find a new contract

That may not be the specific reasons they did it, but it creates a far better narrative

Nicely worded, far better than Alexander who came out of it looking like a total jerk and Penrith looking like uncompassionate, arrogant and not against cheating.

No one gives a **** about him saying he was going to have 1000 beers or that he was going to try and pull a chick. The problem some have is referring to women as 'things' and 'any will do'.

Not the crime of the century and he has simply been warned, the fact is that whether you agree with the way the world is currently or not he shouldn't say that on TV which is why he has been warned and nothing else.

He didnt actually say a chick specifically tbf to Tobes.

Exactly. Even if he didn't word it as well as you have all he had to do was say "Injury depth. After the last round we think it's a smart move to have a bit of cover in positions. We also would have loved to keep Josh but didn't want to stand in his way if he could secure his future"

Also, how was their form when talking about the Titans being after 3 of our players? "If nothing else, it forces the Broncos to pay more for 2 of them" chuckles all around as they give each other handies under the desk. Wankers

They weren't writing low-brow articles in 1895. It all started in the 90s with The Footy Show which was a product of it's time and was trying to appeal to a more casual audience.
*the NRL’s inception.

I dunno what jokes Dally M and the boys were laughing at.

The Qld footy show or the national spinoff? ****, I was livid when they cancelled the QLD version and put the Logie winning FattyFest on. It had it's moments though...Sterlo with a metre long snot projectile, now that still makes me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Spike
  • NSW stables
  • Broncorob
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.