NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Price is Right Brisbane Broncos edition.

1. Jamyne Isaako ($300,000)
2. Corey Oates ($500,000)
3. David Mead ($100,000)
4. Herbie Farnworth ($200,000)
5. Xavier Coates ($200,000)
6. Tom Dearden ($300,000)
7. Brodie Croft ($500,000)
8. Matt Lodge ($700,000)
9. Jake Turpin ($200,000)
10. Payne Haas ($500,000)
11. Alex Glenn ($200,000)
12. Tevita Pangai Jr ($600,000)
13. Patrick Carrigan ($400,000)

14. Danny Levi ($100,000)
15. Tom Flegler ($500,000)
16. Ethan Bullemor ($200,000)
17. Jordan Riki ($200,000)

18. Anthony Milford ($1,000,000)
19. Kotoni Staggs ($300,000)
20. John Asiata ($300,000)
21. Tesi Niu ($200,000)
22. Cory Paix ($200,000)
23. Jesse Arthars ($100,000)
24. Richie Kennar ($100,000)
25. Dale Copley ($100,000)
26. Tyson Gamble ($100,000)
27. Keenan Palasia ($100,000)
28. Rhys Kennedy ($100,000)
29. Ben Te'o ($100,000)
(?) 30. Brendan Piakura ($100,000)

$8,600,000

Off the cap
31. Jack Bird ($700,000)
32. Andrew McCullough ($200,000)
33. Joe Ofahengaue ($200,000)

$9,700,000

I think it highlights how hamstrung the club currently is with their roster and why Seibs was going to such great lengths to move players on. It also explains why the Broncos had to make such modest signings because they really can't afford to splurge.

I reckon Dearden is already on good money, at least more money than he's currently worth. I think the club was desperate to sign him and he's on the higher end of his deal which is when the club really expected him to kick on.

Croft originally was on a subsidised deal so he was great value last year. However now we've got the full freight plus the captain's package which is what Seibs had in mind. I could honestly see this being $600,000 he's not cheap and he really was Seibs' big gamble.

I believe Seibs went overboard and did sign Lodge, Pangai, Flegler, Carrigan and Ofahengaue on big coin. I think think this is largely why the roster is in the state that it's in because the coach went crazy on the forwards instead of making tough decisions. I don't believe Flegler is on $600,000 like it's been reported but it's more like $450,000 which is massive overs.

Glenn I'm going to say is on relatively little since he had minimal interest and he loves the club.
Piakura has been upgraded this season I think. Herbie has been upgraded too which might put him closer to 300. I’m not sure what Rikis new deal is worth either.

Oates, Croft, Lodge, and Flegler are our biggest headaches - with all being on about $200k more than they’re worth. While all bad deals you can at least see why someone may have got excited and overpaid except the Flegler deal, which is completely perplexing. How that decision got past the several people who need to sign off on it is beyond me.

I guess the biggest use of your list is to see what we’ll have to spend next year.

Milf: 1 000 000
Macca: 400 000
Will Bird and Offa be completely off the books?

If we re-sign Coates, Staggs, Turpin, and Dearden that would be close to a million spent.

Doesn’t leave a great amount left for Reynolds or a fullback.

Piakura has been upgraded this season I think. Herbie has been upgraded too which might put him closer to 300. I’m not sure what Rikis new deal is worth either.

Oates, Croft, Lodge, and Flegler are our biggest headaches - with all being on about $200k more than they’re worth. While all bad deals you can at least see why someone may have got excited and overpaid except the Flegler deal, which is completely perplexing. How that decision got past the several people who need to sign off on it is beyond me.

I guess the biggest use of your list is to see what we’ll have to spend next year.

If we re-sign Coates, Staggs, Turpin, and Dearden that would be close to a million spent.

Glenn, Te'o, Copely will defo be gone. So that's roughly an extra $ 4-500K right there

So glad the judiciary hit LM with 4 weeks.
It was weird, seemed orchestrated, how all the journos were so vociferous defending him.
Ikin clearly didn't agree but wouldn't speak up.

Croft's deal is subsidised this year too. He was by all reports signed for 400k x 3 years. 280k the first 2 years (Melbourne paying 120), 400k in his final year which is next year.

$400k for Croft is not a bad deal, the dude tries his guts out, you can't pay a half $400k then expect him to perform like a $1Mil half.

We should have plenty of cash, we are already paying those guys, all we are doing is paying what we are now plus a bit of an increase, its not like we up upgrading all of them by $300-400k.

With Milford and Bird gone we should have plenty of cash to upgrade Staggs to play 6 and plenty of money for a 7 plus upgrades for Turpin and Coates.

If we go to the market for a 7 we are not going to pay top dollar to keep Deardon either.

Glenn, Te'o, Copely will defo be gone. So that's roughly an extra $ 4-500K right there

You have to replace them with other base wagers, there wouldn’t be much saved on them.

$400k for Croft is not a bad deal, the dude tries his guts out, you can't pay a half $400k then expect him to perform like a $1Mil half.

We should have plenty of cash, we are already paying those guys, all we are doing is paying what we are now plus a bit of an increase, its not like we up upgrading all of them by $300-400k.

With Milford and Bird gone we should have plenty of cash to upgrade Staggs to play 6 and plenty of money for a 7 plus upgrades for Turpin and Coates.

If we go to the market for a 7 we are not going to pay top dollar to keep Deardon either.

I factored that into my calculations. Staggs is reportedly getting a 3-400k pay bump alone if he stays. Coates will be expecting an extra $200k. I’d be surprised if Dearden re-signs for less than 400k. Piakura has reportedly gone up to about 400k a year already, and whatever Riki’s new contract is worth.

Turps is already signed to next year... it's a PO but he's hardly playing well enough to suddenly be looking for an upgrade.

If he does then you could just let him go and find someone else

Remember though with these numbers is the salary cap in 2021 is 9.06m (and 9.11m next year). Slots 27-30 are $77,000 and development players up to $60k. The pay deal from 2017 where $100k was the base wage was replaced by this year's announcement...

Croft's deal is subsidised this year too. He was by all reports signed for 400k x 3 years. 280k the first 2 years (Melbourne paying 120), 400k in his final year which is next year.
Croft signed a 3 year deal with Melbourne in 2017, so they would have only subsidised the first year at the club. He's on a new contract now and I'm going to presume it's a better deal than Melbourne since Seibs envisioned him and Dearden as the long-term halves. He was also in line to become the next captain, so I think they valued him more than Melbourne did.

Piakura could be taking up a roster spot now which is why I included his deal and added a question mark. Otherwise he's on a development deal which doesn't count towards the cap. Herbie could be bumped up, but I presume he's on a low $200,000 out of loyalty to the club. I doubt he was being offered much more to leave the club.

Croft signed a 3 year deal with Melbourne in 2017, so they would have only subsidised the first year at the club. He's on a new contract now and I'm going to presume it's a better deal than Melbourne since Seibs envisioned him and Dearden as the long-term halves. He was also in line to become the next captain, so I think they valued him more than Melbourne did.

Piakura could be taking up a roster spot now which is why I included his deal and added a question mark. Otherwise he's on a development deal which doesn't count towards the cap. Herbie could be bumped up, but I presume he's on a low $200,000 out of loyalty to the club. I doubt he was being offered much more to leave the club.
Okay, I might have been wrong about his contract ending a year later, but there is no way he's on 600k. All the reports at the time were 400k, which was reportedly 120k more than he was getting at Melbourne. If I'm not mistaken he was in reserve grade at the time, so there's no way even Seibold would double his wages. It would have been a pretty simple proposition, break contract to come to us, for an extra 2k a week and a first grade position.

Okay, I might have been wrong about his contract ending a year later, but there is no way he's on 600k. All the reports at the time were 400k, which was reportedly 120k more than he was getting at Melbourne. If I'm not mistaken he was in reserve grade at the time, so there's no way even Seibold would double his wages. It would have been a pretty simple proposition, break contract to come to us, for an extra 2k a week and a first grade position.
He was on around $400,000 in Melbourne because when he signed he was seen as the heir apparent to Cronk and they needed to keep their man. He may not have received that in his first year but by Year 3 absolutely which is why Melbourne were in a bind and desperately needed to release players.

Seibs saw Brodie as the future at the club and went over and beyond to bring him in and saw him as the captain. He came here for a pay bump and knowing how much money Seibs was tossing around I would not be surprised if it was $600,000. However I've listed it as $500,000 which is giving the past recruitment the benefit of the doubt.

He was on around $400,000 in Melbourne because when he signed he was seen as the heir apparent to Cronk and they needed to keep their man. He may not have received that in his first year but by Year 3 absolutely which is why Melbourne were in a bind and desperately needed to release players.

Seibs saw Brodie as the future at the club and went over and beyond to bring him in and saw him as the captain. He came here for a pay bump and knowing how much money Seibs was tossing around I would not be surprised if it was $600,000. However I've listed it as $500,000 which is giving the past recruitment the benefit of the doubt.
I don't agree, I think simply being in first grade is worth the same money so I don't see why we would have offered more but I can agree that 500k is in the realm of reasonable given we're all guessing anyway.

I don't agree, I think simply being in first grade is worth the same money so I don't see why we would have offered more but I can agree that 500k is in the realm of reasonable given we're all guessing anyway.
Yeah of course and I invite anyone else to take a stab at the figures.

I just think with players and player agents know if their players aren't being paid well they run the risk of being dropped. For a half, I think anything less than $500,000 is putting you in the firing line, so I think as a base Seibs offered him good money, the captaincy and spoke at length about how he saw Dearden/Croft as the future halves of the Broncos.

I say $600,000 because I could easily see the deal being $550-600K so you could round it up to that $600K mark.

Now I don't think all those figures are accurate but in general I do think it's a fair reflection of where the cap is at. Having to pay around a million for other players to play elsewhere really hurts. John Morris was complaining about missing out on $300,000 after his club rorted the salary cap for years, imagine being in the Broncos shoes.

Trent Merrin has retire effective immediately

I don't think he was in serious contention for a recall to the Origin arena.
shark tank drums GIF by Shark Tank, Network Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• RodF
  • Wolfie
  • Battler
  • Justwin
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Midean
  • theshed
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Brotherdu
  • Broncorob
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Bronx48
  • Redux
  • Hoof Hearted
  • cento
  • MrMoore
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.