NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry Perenara has retired from refereeing due to a heart condition. He'll see out the remainder of the season in the bunker and mentor the younger referees as they come through the ranks.

Perenara made 72 NRL appearances for the Warriors, Storm, Dragons, Eels and Sharks. He then moved into refereeing and officiated in more than 200 first-grade games.

quotes from Perenara

“It’s exercise-induced supraventricular tachycardia [SVT],” Perenara explained.

“It’s not life-threatening or dangerous to begin with. What it means is that my heartbeat can get up to 230 beats per minute.

“If I’m being honest, I’ve probably had it for 15-20 years, since I was playing.

“I only got it diagnosed in February, which is one of the reasons I didn’t start in first grade; I missed the trials.

“I only get it when I’m training. It’s like when the heart of old people races and they need to sit down and they know what to do, that’s what it is. The only difference with my one is that I only get it when I referee or train at high levels.

“And obviously we have to be fit the way the game is now.

“I just managed it, I knew when I got it, I shortened my comms up. I don’t know how I did it. The only time it is dangerous is if you are in SVT for a long time.”

“The difficulty with me when I’m refereeing is that I can’t stop,” he said.

“That was tricky. I don’t know how I managed it, I just did it.

“I had a bit of an incident at training. When I was diagnosed I got put on meds and one of the side effects is that I got lethargic. After three games I got myself off meds because they were affecting me and weren’t really working.

“I had an incident at training where I was in SVT for six minutes and nearly collapsed. I realised I can’t keep doing it and made the call.”

“It’s an extremely hard decision but given all the circumstances, it was an easy one to make,” he said.

“Now is the time to look back and reflect. If someone would have told me that I would do what I did when I took up refereeing 14 years ago, I’d take that straight away.

“I have been preparing for this day to come for a long time. I’ve got a management degree I’ll put to use, I’ve got a finance background so I might jump into something in that field. If it’s in rugby league, then it’s rugby league.”

And copping it week in and week out from fans too.

Roosters
Lose Pearce, replace him with Cronk. Lose Cronk, replace him with Walker.
Lose RTS, replace him with Tedesco. Still having Tedesco, and adding Suaalli

Melbourne
Lose Slater, replace him with Papenhuyzen
Lose Smith, replace him with Grant

At least one of them has been in 12 of the last 15 grand finals.
Is this tall poppy syndrome? I dunno, the media seems to love it.
I'm over those teams, and Broncos being rubbish just makes it even worse, though it doesn't look likes it going to end any time soon.
I think I'll even be cheering my hardest for the Panthers if they play one of these two shit teams in the grand final.

Roosters
Lose Pearce, replace him with Cronk. Lose Cronk, replace him with Walker.
Lose RTS, replace him with Tedesco. Still having Tedesco, and adding Suaalli

Melbourne
Lose Slater, replace him with Papenhuyzen
Lose Smith, replace him with Grant

At least one of them has been in 12 of the last 15 grand finals.
Is this tall poppy syndrome? I dunno, the media seems to love it.
I'm over those teams, and Broncos being rubbish just makes it even worse, though it doesn't look likes it going to end any time soon.
I think I'll even be cheering my hardest for the Panthers if they play one of these two shit teams in the grand final.
just good recruitment and retention man

Does anyone know the most tries scored by a forward in a season?

Roughly a third of the season is gone and Fifita is sitting at second highest tries scored with 9.

2 less than B Moz.

Does anyone know the most tries scored by a forward in a season?

Roughly a third of the season is gone and Fifita is sitting at second highest tries scored with 9.

2 less than B Moz.
It would have to be Beaver Menzies wouldn't it?

22 Tries in 1995.

I don't listen to the commentary.

I didn't know 22 tries off by heart, but when you think try scoring forward Beaver is always at the top of the list.

I don't listen to the commentary.

I didn't know 22 tries off by heart, but when you think try scoring forward Beaver is always at the top of the list.
Was he playing in the forwards all year that year? I remember Menzies used to moonlight in the centres quite a bit.

Was he playing in the forwards all year that year? I remember Menzies used to moonlight in the centres quite a bit.
According to RLP he played 5 games in the centres for 3 tries.

So 19 as a forward.

Which would make 1996 and 1998 the top year with 20.

But I don't think Middo looks at it that deeply.

I guess we will be renamed into NFL.

I guess we will be renamed into NFL.

the should name it the ECARL (East Coast of Australia Rugby League) ... because it's clear they have no interest in a truly national competition

the should name it the ECARL (East Coast of Australia Rugby League) ... because it's clear they have no interest in a truly national competition

Vlandys is in charge, we get what we are paying for.

NFL means No Fans Left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • Shane Tronc
  • Manifesto
  • Mr Fourex
  • Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • Strop
  • Harry Sack
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Morkel
  • thenry
  • Brotherdu
  • jarro65
  • Foordy
  • Morepudding
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.