NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, isn't Tapine eternally 19 years old, what's he doing already being married? Hehe

Is this the worst headline in history?

Install a Reimis​

My mate in Canberra has invited me down for our game on the 12th of next month. Booked my flights. Hopefully covid stays quiet. Will be sitting in the middle of their nutcase section where they lead the viking clap. Expected temp. between 3-8 degrees.

He's dared me to wear a Broncos top. I would but i don't own one.

My mate in Canberra has invited me down for our game on the 12th of next month. Booked my flights. Hopefully covid stays quiet. Will be sitting in the middle of their nutcase section where they lead the viking clap. Expected temp. between 3-8 degrees.

blasphemy!!

Go to Taobao and pick up for one with postage for like $25...of course you will need to be able to read Chinese but meh.

I'm reading the SMH piece on what goes on inside the bunker and it goes on about how every game is scrutinised by four ex players from multiple angles and that "what is clear is the NRL won’t tolerate any form of contact with the head or neck, and its match review committee treat the judiciary code like The Bible."

I wonder if all four were looking at squirrels when Oatsy got elbowed in the back of the head after he scored his try. I can't believe all four missed it when it's plain as day what happens. There was plenty of time for the player to pull out of the 'tackle'. Even if there was no time, you just can't whack people on the back of the head with your forearm and call it an attempted tackle.

I'm reading the SMH piece on what goes on inside the bunker and it goes on about how every game is scrutinised by four ex players from multiple angles and that "what is clear is the NRL won’t tolerate any form of contact with the head or neck, and its match review committee treat the judiciary code like The Bible."

I wonder if all four were looking at squirrels when Oatsy got elbowed in the back of the head after he scored his try. I can't believe all four missed it when it's plain as day what happens. There was plenty of time for the player to pull out of the 'tackle'. Even if there was no time, you just can't whack people on the back of the head with your forearm and call it an attempted tackle.

come on now mate ... you know squirrels are a massive problem for the NRL, the grounds are infested with them ... it has to be distracting for the officials 😛

Just wanna give a shout-out to Brett Finch's Uncensored podcast.

Very entertaining stuff. Glad the fella seems to be doing better for himself these days, he's a thoroughly likeable bloke IMO.

The media seem to be painting the effect of the new rules changes as an unmitigated success but the speight of lopsided results must be a concern. We are no longer seeing thrashings to the cellar dwellers of the comp, but also fellow top 4 contenders.
It seems the once difficult route of changing momentum has become nigh on impossible without a major form reversal mid game (like the titans). This means games are readily decided within 20 minutes of an 80 minute game.
It can't be good for the long term health of the game. Blowouts are rarely good for the health of any sport as both drama and unpredictability are the core to capturing a fans rapture.
Think of how many tickets get sold for an Australia/south Africa cricket test as opposed to one against Bangladesh. It's not just the quality of the cricket (the Bangladeshi have some fine batsmen) but that the game will inevitably lead to an Australia victory after 3 days.
Of course the most famous series is the body line against England.
Despite Australia eventually losing, the games were packed. Why?.
The tactics of England were unorthodox and considered unsporting to a majority of spectators. So why did they watch?
The truth is the series was an empassioned spectacle where despite the Australians possessing the greatest batsman and arguably one the greatest sportsmen to ever take the field of any sport were facing a competitor of their peer. The drama of the seemingly unfair tactic only added to the unpredictability and empassionef Australia fans to see the conclusion of every game.
Now think of what has happened to our game. Whilst the continuation of games progress until a review's progress is a welcome one for maintaining fan engagement, how many fans will willingly continue watching a thrashing of the team they support, with tired players making constant mistakes, defending repeat sets, tiring them more. Without a means of reversal, the conclusion is inevitable.
How many times do you deliberately watch your team losing for the pleasure of it?

The media seem to be painting the effect of the new rules changes as an unmitigated success but the speight of lopsided results must be a concern. We are no longer seeing thrashings to the cellar dwellers of the comp, but also fellow top 4 contenders.
It seems the once difficult route of changing momentum has become nigh on impossible without a major form reversal mid game (like the titans). This means games are readily decided within 20 minutes of an 80 minute game.
It can't be good for the long term health of the game. Blowouts are rarely good for the health of any sport as both drama and unpredictability are the core to capturing a fans rapture.
Think of how many tickets get sold for an Australia/south Africa cricket test as opposed to one against Bangladesh. It's not just the quality of the cricket (the Bangladeshi have some fine batsmen) but that the game will inevitably lead to an Australia victory after 3 days.
The tactics of England were unorthodox and considered unsporting to a majority of spectators. So why did they watch?
The truth is the series was an empassioned spectacle where despite the Australians possessing the greatest batsman and arguably one the greatest sportsmen to ever take the field of any sport were facing a competitor of their peer. The drama of the seemingly unfair tactic only added to the unpredictability and empassionef Australia fans to see the conclusion of every game.
Now think of what has happened to our game. Whilst the continuation of games progress until a review's progress is a welcome one for maintaining fan engagement, how many fans will willingly continue watching a thrashing of the team they support, with tired players making constant mistakes, defending repeat sets, tiring them more. Without a means of reversal, the conclusion is inevitable.
How many times do you deliberately watch your team losing for the pleasure of it?
A very good observation In fact there were a number of very good points made in that short note. Well done.

But but but... "just get better" Vlando 2021

The game is not in a great place at the moment... the preseason favourite for the comp had 50 put on them and if Paps was there they likely get 60+ put on them (goal kicking plus his inevitable backing up through the middle leading to even more tries).

At the moment I just can't see how you achieve field position without an excellent kicking game... storm and roosters achieve it through their ability to roll through the ruck and their ability to manufacture and subsequently exploit quick play the balls... but for the last 10-20 years teams have relied on penalties to give them field position.

Before Vlando ball teams could focus solely on what happens in the respective red zones... just control the ball until the ref gives you a penalty and then we will have field position ... that's gone now... simply controlling the ball isn't enough unless you can get field position on your own.

I can see it now... Broncos sign Reynolds for 3-4 years and Vlando changes the rules so that penalties are back on the cards and a strong kicking game is no longer the be all and end all.

It will be like signing Lodge and trying to get a big forward pack all over again

The game is not in a great place at the moment... the preseason favourite for the comp had 50 put on them and if Paps was there they likely get 60+ put on them (goal kicking plus his inevitable backing up through the middle leading to even more tries).

At the moment I just can't see how you achieve field position without an excellent kicking game... storm and roosters achieve it through their ability to roll through the ruck and their ability to manufacture and subsequently exploit quick play the balls... but for the last 10-20 years teams have relied on penalties to give them field position.

Before Vlando ball teams could focus solely on what happens in the respective red zones... just control the ball until the ref gives you a penalty and then we will have field position ... that's gone now... simply controlling the ball isn't enough unless you can get field position on your own.

I can see it now... Broncos sign Reynolds for 3-4 years and Vlando changes the rules so that penalties are back on the cards and a strong kicking game is no longer the be all and end all.

It will be like signing Lodge and trying to get a big forward pack all over again
Well, at least Reynolds is good for a long touch finder or difficult penalty goal.

You just know as soon as we start looking competitive again the rules will change.

you know this actually occurred to me last night ... it seems that even the players aren't 100% sure of all the new rules of Vlandys-ball.

e.g. just before half time the Roosters rushed to the scrum to try and stop the clock (Eels also went to pack the scrum) ... this despite the fact that it was an occasion when the scrum was taken out of the game and a handover given instead.

not to mention the refs constantly telling players (in almost every single game) that they can challenge this or that. (maybe they're trying to get teams to waste their challenges, so they can't be overturned 🤔 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  • ell.d33
  • Porthoz
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.