NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if that's the case shouldn't Captain Vlando be calling for mandatory headgear at a very minimum for all players?
Yep!
And no tackles above the waist.

PVL primary concern in future lawsuits.
That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

They keep saying the future of the game is in jeopardy, and that is not because players are going to get CTE induced dementia, its because they are going to sue the NRL.

They HAVE to rework their narrative to the fact that this is a contact sport, and if you want to play, you accept the risks involved.

The alternative is not Rugby League.

That was crazy to watch. Buzz was actually coming across as a reasonable sympathetic human with feelings and Kent came across as a total wanker.
There is a reason why Kent comes across like that.

TBF if I was trying to get a straight answer from Newton the way he talks would shit me.
Trying to sound like the smartest guy in the room by using as many big words in a sentence without actually giving an answer.
You know , the public service job description style of BS.
Instead of filing they say stuff like....

Enabling the distribution and retrieval of critical documents and ensuring an accurate record of movement .🙄
According to Kent , Abdo emailed the RLPA 2 weeks ago to set a meeting and is yet to hear back.

I dare say ole mate Vlando has given the broadcaster a pretty big say in picking the draw, most likely they try to match up the highest rating teams and most often.
Yeah, not blaming PVL for this one, it's always been the case, I just think it's wrong

Folau has officially launched his legal challenge against the QRL, claiming that rule 4.3.10 is an "unreasonable restraint of trade". he is also asking that the QRL pay all court costs associated with this action. so effectively what he is saying is that the QRL shouldn't be allowed to stop a contracted player from another competition from playing in theirs, I can't see how he would be successful in his action, it would open up a massive can or worms.

Rule 4.3.10 states “any player who played in an overseas competition which is not controlled by the ARLC in the preceding Football Year shall not be registered without first obtaining a written clearance through the ARLC.”

Tim Sheens is reportedly heading back to the Tigpies as "Head of Football Performance"

according to Fox Sports, The position is a “floating role” where Sheens will be a sounding board for players as well as working in the area of recruitment, pathways and development.

Tigers CEO, Justin Pascoe says:

“Tim can also be a sounding board for Madge if Madge wants that,” Pascoe said.

“It’s a floating role across the entire football department.

“Tim knows what it means to be Wests Tigers and has played a major role in shaping all aspects of this club — both on and off the field — to what it is today.

“Having Tim take on this new role will significantly strengthen our football department as a whole. We firmly believe that adding Tim’s experience, knowledge and insight into the game of rugby league will be of huge benefit to Wests Tigers.

“This continual investment into football only can occur when you are in a secure financial position. As a club, we have worked hard to get to that point and now it’s pleasing to see us building our capacities and capabilities to ensure we are successful long into the future.”

-------

IMO, this won't work out as intended. what if for example a player uses Sheens as a "sounding board", and it is different to what Madge wants the player to do.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, coaching directors (and i know the Tigpies aren't calling this role a coaching director) aren't a good idea at this level. if you don't trust the coach, then fire him and get someone you do trust

Professional organizations should be able to make it work by drawing a line that the director can't cross. Having more people who have good ideas at a club shouldn't be a negative. I also feel like you have an agenda with that last paragraph.

Toovey spittin truth though. About the Lodge situation "They need to get rid of whoever it was that signed him to that big contract with 2yrs of player options"
Exactly! Player only options are for the benefit of the manager and the player.. not the club.

Professional organizations should be able to make it work by drawing a line that the director can't cross. Having more people who have good ideas at a club shouldn't be a negative. I also feel like you have an agenda with that last paragraph.

how does that apply to the Tigers ... at one point Tim Sheens was one of 3 coaches they were paying.

not to mention that the CEO has implied there are no real lines to where Sheens can get involved.

p.s. no agenda ... I've made it very clear i don't like coaching directors. in our case it wouldn't have mattered if it was Bennett or Bellamy or someone else

how does that apply to the Tigers ... at one point Tim Sheens was one of 3 coaches they were paying.

not to mention that the CEO has implied there are no real lines to where Sheens can get involved.

p.s. no agenda ... I've made it very clear i don't like coaching directors. in our case it wouldn't have mattered if it was Bennett or Bellamy or someone else
I don't believe Tigers are a professional organization, just that a professional organization could make it work. It was in response to you saying it won't work at this level.

Having two blokes who get along, Walters and Bennett for example, would make it work.

P.s. I don't believe you

P.s. I don't believe you

86b48a7287283fdb1c09aa245f1de433

Folau has officially launched his legal challenge against the QRL, claiming that rule 4.3.10 is an "unreasonable restraint of trade". he is also asking that the QRL pay all court costs associated with this action. so effectively what he is saying is that the QRL shouldn't be allowed to stop a contracted player from another competition from playing in theirs, I can't see how he would be successful in his action, it would open up a massive can or worms.

Rule 4.3.10 states “any player who played in an overseas competition which is not controlled by the ARLC in the preceding Football Year shall not be registered without first obtaining a written clearance through the ARLC.”
I think the QRL should give this whole issue a pass.
Palmer has much deeper pockets than they do and could conceivably take them all the way to the high court which would involve huge expense even if they won.
They real issue is Folau wanting to play NRL so I think the smart thing for the QRL to do is just step back and let him sign with a Qcup club (may be do a deal that Folau can play at no cost to the club, after all Palmer is supposedly bankrolling him anyway so an extra bit of money in Qcup should be neither here nor there) and he can then try from there to get registered with the NRL and so would be their problem.
Sometimes you need to pick your battles and this is one the QRL neither wants nor should buy into.
Let Lord V'landy's handle it and see how he goes. It should be right up his alley.

I think the QRL should give this whole issue a pass.
Palmer has much deeper pockets than they do and could conceivably take them all the way to the high court which would involve huge expense even if they won.
They real issue is Folau wanting to play NRL so I think the smart thing for the QRL to do is just step back and let him sign with a Qcup club (may be do a deal that Folau can play at no cost to the club, after all Palmer is supposedly bankrolling him anyway so an extra bit of money in Qcup should be neither here nor there) and he can then try from there to get registered with the NRL and so would be their problem.
Sometimes you need to pick your battles and this is one the QRL neither wants nor should buy into.
Let Lord V'landy's handle it and see how he goes. It should be right up his alley.

they could register him then they would potentially get sued by Catalans, either way they lose.

besides if they win then they could force Folau to pick up the tab.

IMO, Folau has no case anyway. they're refusing to register him on the basis that he is under contract elsewhere. basically takes his religious views out of play. this is a matter of contract law now

they could register him then they would potentially get sued by Catalans, either way they lose.

besides if they win then they could force Folau to pick up the tab.

IMO, Folau has no case anyway. they refusing to register him on the basis that he is under contract elsewhere. basically takes his religious views out of play. this is a matter of contract law now
The Catalans contract issue is only giving the QRL temporary cover. Sooner or later it will expire or a deal will be done and he will be released from it.
Then they will have to make a decision.
They will need to have a plan in place then because this will happen. (probably sooner rather than later).

The Catalans contract issue is only giving the QRL temporary cover. Sooner or later it will expire or a deal will be done and he will be released from it.
Then they will have to make a decision.
They will need to have a plan in place then because this will happen. (probably sooner rather than later).

They'll end up allowing him to play, once he receives clearance from Catalans, Folau just doesn't think the rules apply to him ... they've already registered a contract for Tony Williams to play for the Southport Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.