NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that rule changed ages ago where suspensions became NRL rounds instead of "games" to avoid the TBA Tonie Carroll loophole?

So 3 weeks was 3 complete NRL rounds, Origin was irrelevant.

He's not wrong in this case. Does every suspended player get a week discount for Origin? Or only the Aussie ones, or only the 'good' players?
Good news is that’s 2 games for Staggs on this logic.

Only players that were more than likely going to be selected I imagine. If Origin games don’t count than why would suspended players have to sit out Origin games as well?
Who decides that though?

As a lifetime fan of this sport, I have never, ever felt worse about it, and the Broncos being piss poor is only about 40% of the reasoning.

This. I was trying to find a thread to post it.

I really feel like I'm done. Obviously I'm sure I wouldn't feel this bad if the Broncos were doing well, the NRL has always been corrupt. I can't remember it being this blatant though. Was it always this bad, and we suffered through it knowing the Broncos were good enough to succeed despite the NRL's persistent attempts to cut us down?

I'm overworked right now, doing 60-70 hours a week at work while still doing my share of carting kids to/from sport (wife works full time too), sport is 4 nights a week, often not home untill 10-11 at night. As it is I'm neglecting my duties as BHQ staff, taking weeks or often simply not doing requests that I have been asked and agreed to.

I just don't have the mental space right now to feel so defeated, hopeless, and dejected after yet another flogging. If I not so much walk away, but decrease my interest in the NRL, maybe only watch games I think we might have a chance in, am I a fairweather fan? How do Bulldogs or Warriors or Tigers fans endure this? Or am I doing the right thing and sending the NRL a message that they won't get a cent of mine until the corruption and agendas are weeded out?

I really feel like I'm done. Obviously I'm sure I wouldn't feel this bad if the Broncos were doing well, the NRL has always been corrupt. I can't remember it being this blatant though. Was it always this bad, and we suffered through it knowing the Broncos were good enough to succeed despite the NRL's persistent attempts to cut us down?

I'm overworked right now, doing 60-70 hours a week at work while still doing my share of carting kids to/from sport (wife works full time too), sport is 4 nights a week, often not home untill 10-11 at night. As it is I'm neglecting my duties as BHQ staff, taking weeks or often simply not doing requests that I have been asked and agreed to.

I just don't have the mental space right now to feel so defeated, hopeless, and dejected after yet another flogging. If I not so much walk away, but decrease my interest in the NRL, maybe only watch games I think we might have a chance in, am I a fairweather fan? How do Bulldogs or Warriors or Tigers fans endure this? Or am I doing the right thing and sending the NRL a message that they won't get a cent of mine until the corruption and agendas are weeded out?

There’s no doubt that if the Broncs were going better we’d all be complaining less but it still wouldn’t result in wanting to watch other games because the product is so corrupt, inconsistent and frustrating, it is unwatchable.

I mean, I would suggest most of us still watch Broncos games now because we love the club but when you are have a horrible squad and then you get reffed out of games you had little hope in anyway, it just snowballs into frustration, anger and all sorts of other negative emotions that aren’t worth it.

The idiot running the asylum is also slimy, in love with self and like most things NRL related, unlikeable and unwatchable. They want to ruin the game and rub fans faces in it by arrogantly talking down at us and taking us for granted.

Therefore to not watch is to take a stand because I can assure you that if this game returned to its former self, many of us would watch it again, so that isn’t being a fair weather fan, that is trying to stand up so that the game we all once loved isn’t killed by itself.

So I will continue not to watch until such time as things change, whatever that change means.

You're doing the right thing, money /ratings is all the admin understand or will be forced to understand by their broadcasters.

You guys are on the money.
No doubt things would be less grim and more tolerable if we were competitive.

That being said, i distinctly recall watching a game earlier in the season where the officiating was so poor, i got pissed off and frustrated, and that was watching two teams i dont even support.

I have managed to keep my disappointment in check for the most part in regards to the NRL, partly thanks to being able to vent my frustrations on this website, and partly due to being a long time fan of the game.

That died in me this round.
Not sure why exactly that Kobe send off was the tipping point, but i felt something inside me break at that decision and i turned the game off.
Literally the first time i have ever switched off a Broncos game before full time.
I also didn't watch another game of footy all weekend, which i usually never miss.

The strangest thing though, was the total acceptance that this is now the NRL.
I feel like Vlandys has taken the game too far down its current path to turn back, and the result is we have now lost the game we grew up loving.

I wont watch another game this year, i will focus on MMA (cmon bobby knuckles) and will keep active on this forum to keep up with the Broncos movements and hope that somehow the game can return to what it once was.

My interest in the sport has been dropping for a little while tbh. The Broncos going so badly hasn't helped, but that isn't the main factor tbh. The officiating has always been a little questionable...interpretation, the vast difference between some officials and what they consider 10m etc. The 6 again last year only compounded this and the crackdown a few weeks back has again doubled down on the vast differences in interpretation.

I'd have to say the media has played the biggest part though. By that I mean reporters and commentators. When it comes to commentators, I can't really think of a single one that I enjoy listening to anymore. Maybe Warren Smith? I quite like listening to Ennis, he doesn't pull any punches and it doesn't matter which club he's talking about. I think I'd probably kick Dan Ginnane in the balls if I ever met him in real life. Goooodbye that mother fucker! Anasta trys to hype the **** out of everything and ends up sounding like he's constipated. Reporting? I don't think I really have to explain that one. Some clubs get a free ride and others don't, it's that simple. The one that really gets me though is Uncle Nick's terrible golfing game. I've seen it referenced on 360 a number of times...and they all just laugh about it.

I think I'll always be a fan of the game, but I've gone from watching almost all of the games and giving those games my full attention to watching only 3-4 with only half an eye on it.

My interest in the sport has been dropping for a little while tbh. The Broncos going so badly hasn't helped, but that isn't the main factor tbh. The officiating has always been a little questionable...interpretation, the vast difference between some officials and what they consider 10m etc. The 6 again last year only compounded this and the crackdown a few weeks back has again doubled down on the vast differences in interpretation.

I'd have to say the media has played the biggest part though. By that I mean reporters and commentators. When it comes to commentators, I can't really think of a single one that I enjoy listening to anymore. Maybe Warren Smith? I quite like listening to Ennis, he doesn't pull any punches and it doesn't matter which club he's talking about. I think I'd probably kick Dan Ginnane in the balls if I ever met him in real life. Goooodbye that mother fucker! Anasta trys to hype the **** out of everything and ends up sounding like he's constipated. Reporting? I don't think I really have to explain that one. Some clubs get a free ride and others don't, it's that simple. The one that really gets me though is Uncle Nick's terrible golfing game. I've seen it referenced on 360 a number of times...and they all just laugh about it.

I think I'll always be a fan of the game, but I've gone from watching almost all of the games and giving those games my full attention to watching only 3-4 with only half an eye on it.

The double-standards has killed it for me.

I think I was close to done when it was confirmed that Coates was gone. Struggling as we are, spoon team, it's not enough for the Storm to have their grubby mits all over South East Queensland (how about develop the game in Victoria you pathetic vultures), even the players we do somehow land, we just fucking lose anyway.

But what finally did it for me was the NRL arbitrarily giving Staggs a suspension right when he was due back to play. From something done months ago. When the **** has that ever happened? It's so corrupt, it's almost deliberately, outwardly corrupt, like another stab in the heart of any enjoyment the Broncos fans may wish to hope for, except this time they're looking in to our eyes as they do it so we know that this is personal and there will be no relenting, there will be more.

I mean, I'll still support the club 100%, in fact I'm wearing a Broncos hoodie now and I'm never embarrassed to wear Broncos stuff out there, but I am completely done with the game.

Missing out on Hynes, Hetherington getting sent off, I can feel the kicks and they should fucking hurt, I'm just numb now, I know the blows are going to keep coming because this is what the NRL wants, but what's one more boot to the side of the head?

The double-standards has killed it for me.

I think I was close to done when it was confirmed that Coates was gone. Struggling as we are, spoon team, it's not enough for the Storm to have their grubby mits all over South East Queensland (how about develop the game in Victoria you pathetic vultures), even the players we do somehow land, we just fucking lose anyway.

But what finally did it for me was the NRL arbitrarily giving Staggs a suspension right when he was due back to play. From something done months ago. When the **** has that ever happened? It's so corrupt, it's almost deliberately, outwardly corrupt, like another stab in the heart of any enjoyment the Broncos fans may wish to hope for, except this time they're looking in to our eyes as they do it so we know that this is personal and there will be no relenting, there will be more.

I mean, I'll still support the club 100%, in fact I'm wearing a Broncos hoodie now and I'm never embarrassed to wear Broncos stuff out there, but I am completely done with the game.

Missing out on Hynes, Hetherington getting sent off, I can feel the kicks and they should fucking hurt, I'm just numb now, I know the blows are going to keep coming because this is what the NRL wants, but what's one more boot to the side of the head?
Couldn't agree more.

Also, even though I despise the filthy rat, I can't believe the NRL are actually thinking of throwing a 2 game suspension at Fifita in the middle of an origin campaign from an incident in the off season. Like WTF, I don't care if you're Paul Gallen - a misdemeanor in the off season should be dealt with there and then, not in the middle of an origin series ffs. It beggars belief.

The only reason I'm invested in this season is because PVL has resurrected my fantasy football coaching career (praise be to PVL), and my son loves watching the Broncos win or lose.

That was a shame about Boyd Cordner but it seemed inevitable after he had so many issues last year.

Cordner first arrived on the scene at Harold Matthews for Newcastle where he was a sensation. If you wanted a clear cut example of the Knights dropping the ball with their junior development you didn't have to look too far. The story that made the rounds is that Boyd's older brother Dane had a falling out with the club and when the Roosters came knocking in 2008 it was an easy decision for Boyd. Coincidentally the Newcastle coach would end up joining Cordner a couple of years later.

The rap on Cordner early is that he was a 17 year old already training full-time with the NRL. Once again he was a stand-out at SG Ball before transitioning into the Roosters NYC team when the team was struggling.

Then in 2010 Cordner suffered an ACL rupture during the pre-season which set him back 18 months and he kind of fell off the radar for awhile. When he returned, the Roosters were struggling in first grade and while he looked solid in his limited opportunities it wasn't like he was an overnight sensation.

It wasn't until the second half of 2013 he really started to break out as one of the best hole runners in the competition. As a reward he was selected off the bench in the 2013 decider but it was before his time and he wouldn't find his feet in the representative arena until 2016.

The knock on Cordner was that he was a one dimensional edge backrow. On one hand it was a strength because he was incredibly consistent but in those big games where you need the big plays he could be found wanting. Remarkably Brad Fittler got Phil Gould to call Cordner out on the eve of the 2018 State of Origin series and suddenly Cordner started using his passing game more which really helped bring Latrell into the game.

In fact that was a key element behind the Roosters resurgence in 2018 after a disappointing start. They started playing a more expansive game, they opened up the field more which gave guys like Tedesco and Keary more space to operate it.

Cordner wasn't the star, but he was the figurehead behind back to back Origin victories and premierships. An incredible feat and he'll be remembered as the best edge backrow of the 2010s. I actually think that will cause some debate because there's other players who had higher highs but in terms of resumes it's difficult to go against an Australian captain with that amount of success.

That was a shame about Boyd Cordner but it seemed inevitable after he had so many issues last year.

Cordner first arrived on the scene at Harold Matthews for Newcastle where he was a sensation. If you wanted a clear cut example of the Knights dropping the ball with their junior development you didn't have to look too far. The story that made the rounds is that Boyd's older brother Dane had a falling out with the club and when the Roosters came knocking in 2008 it was an easy decision for Boyd. Coincidentally the Newcastle coach would end up joining Cordner a couple of years later.

The rap on Cordner early is that he was a 17 year old already training full-time with the NRL. Once again he was a stand-out at SG Ball before transitioning into the Roosters NYC team when the team was struggling.

Then in 2010 Cordner suffered an ACL rupture during the pre-season which set him back 18 months and he kind of fell off the radar for awhile. When he returned, the Roosters were struggling in first grade and while he looked solid in his limited opportunities it wasn't like he was an overnight sensation.

It wasn't until the second half of 2013 he really started to break out as one of the best hole runners in the competition. As a reward he was selected off the bench in the 2013 decider but it was before his time and he wouldn't find his feet in the representative arena until 2016.

The knock on Cordner was that he was a one dimensional edge backrow. On one hand it was a strength because he was incredibly consistent but in those big games where you need the big plays he could be found wanting. Remarkably Brad Fittler got Phil Gould to call Cordner out on the eve of the 2018 State of Origin series and suddenly Cordner started using his passing game more which really helped bring Latrell into the game.

In fact that was a key element behind the Roosters resurgence in 2018 after a disappointing start. They started playing a more expansive game, they opened up the field more which gave guys like Tedesco and Keary more space to operate it.

Cordner wasn't the star, but he was the figurehead behind back to back Origin victories and premierships. An incredible feat and he'll be remembered as the best edge backrow of the 2010s. I actually think that will cause some debate because there's other players who had higher highs but in terms of resumes it's difficult to go against an Australian captain with that amount of success.

Will cause debate for sure -Gillett was better. Boyd is comfortably number two in terms of ability, easily number one in terms of achievement.

Will cause debate for sure -Gillett was better. Boyd is comfortably number two in terms of ability, easily number one in terms of achievement.
Like I said it's going to cause some debate but I think history will be kinder to Boyd.

Gillett definitely belongs in the conversation, but 2018-19 will tip the scales towards Cordner.

Like I said it's going to cause some debate but I think history will be kinder to Boyd.

Gillett definitely belongs in the conversation, but 2018-19 will tip the scales towards Cordner.

Scored off forward pass after forward pass.

Can't argue with Boyd's achievements. 100% earned, great player.

If I could pick one, I'd go Gillett for versatility and x factor. Would understand others going with Cordner though - it's easily he and Gillo for best 2nd rower of the last decade for mine.

Annersley says another rule change could be on the Horizon to combat the increasing trend of "Milking".

Annersley says:

“If we think a trend develops and it continues then we will be left with no alternative but to look at rule change options at the end of the season to try and address it,” Annesley said.

Annersley doesn't think any more changes will be made this season, but it's not his call

“The commission has shown in the past they are prepared to be agile when they need to be so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility,” he said.

“At the moment what we are preparing to do is appeal to players and coaches to ensure this doesn’t become a major problem in our game.”

Ray Hadley has slammed the MRC for only fining Isaiah Papali’i $1150 for what many people deem a deliberate knee to the head of Leilua

here's what Hadley said:

“I could not believe that I was the only one blowing up at Papali’i,” Hadley said on NRL 360.

“If anyone missed it there are very few deliberate acts in the game these days. You can count them on one hand a season. If that’s not a deliberate act I don’t know.

“The ARL commission says we need to stop attacking peoples’ heads. He gets 10 minutes in the bin and I nearly fell off my chair when I found out the Match Review Committee were fining him $1150 for a deliberate act.

“Now, the chairman (of the match review committee) Michael Robertson and Michael Hodgson, Luke Patten and Anthony Quinn... They are very creditable men involved in the game for a long time.

“For the Match Review Committee to be on the same side as the commission, we need someone, an ex-referee or official to get there and give guidance, because the decision they made was a shocking decision to fine him $1150.

“The Parramatta club would’ve been rushing to the bank to put the money in before someone woke to the fact that he’s got away with blue murder.”

Jumped onto Facebook Marketplace on the weekend. Some guy was selling all of his Broncos jerseys for $40 (and I'm talking about 8 of them from different stages of Brisbane's career).

Reckon he's disappointed?

How many other fans is PvL losing with his "changes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.