NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think keeping Madge on is ultimately the right call, there is a part of me that seriously doubts he actually managed to talk his way out of being fired. Something tells me the pick of the litter when it comes to replacement coaches was pretty thin, especially if Flanagan knocked them back.

I think they wanted Ciraldo... but he was never going to choose that club as his first head coaching gig

well Cameron Smith hasn't changed ... whinging that the Storm don't have a player in the top 5 for the Dally M. (although now he's complained, expect a magical run from one of their players to take out the award).

he then goes on to list at least 3 players who should be getting the points each week ... but he hasn't actually thought this through. because unless you have a dominant player (like Cleary, Tedesco or Turbo; all of whom are in the top 5) your points will be shared around, which makes it less likely for a player to take out an individual award of this nature. (same thing happens in the Brownlow)

I think they wanted Ciraldo... but he was never going to choose that club as his first head coaching gig
Smart enough to know if he did it would also be his last coaching gig.

I am genuinely perplexed about the introduction of a 2nd Brisbane team, simply because 17 teams will not give the NRL any extra games each week. I am guessing that they are hoping that one more team brings in more fans and more sponsors, but for mine, if people enjoy watching league, they're already following or sponsoring a team. There may be a very short-term windfall in a bunch of people snapping up merch, but that's about it.

I want to hear people's conspiracy theories here. I don't trust the NRL to be honest about anything, let alone their intentions. For example:

* Now that Vlandys and his dodgy crew have taken over, any illusion that the NRL is a truly independent, national comp is well and truly over. Have NSW's self-interested powerbrokers been able to overcome the NRL's "we need Melbourne to be a permanent success" mindset, and they are now looking to weaken the Storm in order to bring more premierships back to Sydney teams?

* Did they actually do this because they want to get rid of (or merge) an underperforming Sydney team, and instead of just biting the bullet, they are going to stage it over a few years, bring in the new replacement team and slowly let the underperforming team perish to the point where they say "it just makes sense to go back to 16 teams"?

* Or are they genuinely likely to end up with 18 teams, but figured it wouldn't be viable to bring in two at the same time and have the two compete with each other for hype, interest, and sponsors?

I am genuinely perplexed about the introduction of a 2nd Brisbane team, simply because 17 teams will not give the NRL any extra games each week. I am guessing that they are hoping that one more team brings in more fans and more sponsors, but for mine, if people enjoy watching league, they're already following or sponsoring a team. There may be a very short-term windfall in a bunch of people snapping up merch, but that's about it.

I want to hear people's conspiracy theories here. I don't trust the NRL to be honest about anything, let alone their intentions. For example:

* Now that Vlandys and his dodgy crew have taken over, any illusion that the NRL is a truly independent, national comp is well and truly over. Have NSW's self-interested powerbrokers been able to overcome the NRL's "we need Melbourne to be a permanent success" mindset, and they are now looking to weaken the Storm in order to bring more premierships back to Sydney teams?

* Did they actually do this because they want to get rid of (or merge) an underperforming Sydney team, and instead of just biting the bullet, they are going to stage it over a few years, bring in the new replacement team and slowly let the underperforming team perish to the point where they say "it just makes sense to go back to 16 teams"?

* Or are they genuinely likely to end up with 18 teams, but figured it wouldn't be viable to bring in two at the same time and have the two compete with each other for hype, interest, and sponsors?

You have literally just given it more thought than the NRL has. Their thinking would simply boil down to, ‘wow that club has $25 million dollars and we want it. Bring them in.’

Also Vlandys tends to have a thing for killing / hurting horses.

Walker would have to be a shoe-in for Rookie of the year since Walsh is ineligible

Latrell Mitchell is married???

You have literally just given it more thought than the NRL has. Their thinking would simply boil down to, ‘wow that club has $25 million dollars and we want it. Bring them in.’

Also Vlandys tends to have a thing for killing / hurting horses.
I would not be surprised if the NRL doubled down and added two clubs, they'll grab the sweet, sweet dollars on offer from both Redcliffe and the Fireladyducks or whatever they are called.

That'll also mean more broadcast dollars from Fox for the extra game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • theshed
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.