NRL General Discussion Thread - 2022

Sproj

International Captain
Forum Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Threads
I still think if he didnt get cut down by injury he would have been playing lock and done very well there. I think its rumoured the Dragons are going to give him a run there. You would have to think its a bit risky these days with his injury history.

Sure but was he worth 800k+ to play a position he'd never played at NRL level, at least not regularly. It was a massive risk however its cut and it failed abysmally, regardless the reasons and Bennett should be held accountable, which never seems to happen when things go wrong. Fix Jimmy the Jet anyone?

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
Sure but was he worth 800k+ to play a position he'd never played at NRL level, at least not regularly. It was a massive risk however its cut and it failed abysmally, regardless the reasons and Bennett should be held accountable, which never seems to happen when things go wrong. Fix Jimmy the Jet anyone?
I still think peoples judgement of Bird is a bit clouded because of his time here. Probably not worth 800k, but he got a good deal at the time a lot of high contracts were going around, and he was going really well at the time. Bennett obviously saw pretty early ball playing locks were going to make a comeback and imo Bird would have been a really good one if not for injury.

Jimmy is a tough one. People say he didn't fix him because he didn't stay the same player he was, but as a person off the field he has come on in leaps and bounds from what he was so in that aspect Bennett helped him immensely. Wouldn't say fixed him, because he is a very troubled individual but he no doubt has helped him.

Sproj

International Captain
Forum Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Threads
I still think peoples judgement of Bird is a bit clouded because of his time here. Probably not worth 800k, but he got a good deal at the time a lot of high contracts were going around, and he was going really well at the time. Bennett obviously saw pretty early ball playing locks were going to make a comeback and imo Bird would have been a really good one if not for injury.

This is basically what I'm saying. It failed, regardless the reason but again, because the idea seems good, Bennett is absolved of responsibility. If we are being honest, there is no way anyone can claim it wasn't a risk, it was and it failed.

Foordy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
the Josh Aloiai vs Paul Gallen fight has been cancelled after Aloiai tested positive for COVID.

He's believed to be the first NRL player to test positive to the virus.

Aloiai is double vaccinated and hasn't had contact with anyone in the Manly camp

Foordy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Abdo has conceded that it's time to rethink the transfer system. it only took a Storm player signing elsewhere 12 months out, before the NRL got to that point.

Andrew Abdo says:

“The commission has said to us, think innovatively and differently about what a trade window contract model would look like,” Abdo said.

“I definitely think there are things we can do that can eliminate some of the pain points of players signing very early.

“Some sports have drafts, some sports have rigid trade windows and this an opportunity to rethink ours I think.

“I’m confident there is a way for us to find a middle ground and from the research we’ve done, I’m confident we’ll come up with some reforms and improvements.

“We are now at the point where we are going to engage the different stakeholders.

“Over the next couple of months a lot of work will go into this.

“Anything is possible. We want to be the best sporting entertainment experience in Australia. To do that we need to think about lifting professionalism at all levels. If there is an opportunity to improve our contracting window, we will do that”

The Strapper

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2015
Threads
Abdo has conceded that it's time to rethink the transfer system. it only took a Storm player signing elsewhere 12 months out, before the NRL got to that point.

Andrew Abdo says:

“The commission has said to us, think innovatively and differently about what a trade window contract model would look like,” Abdo said.

“I definitely think there are things we can do that can eliminate some of the pain points of players signing very early.

“Some sports have drafts, some sports have rigid trade windows and this an opportunity to rethink ours I think.

“I’m confident there is a way for us to find a middle ground and from the research we’ve done, I’m confident we’ll come up with some reforms and improvements.

“We are now at the point where we are going to engage the different stakeholders.

“Over the next couple of months a lot of work will go into this.

“Anything is possible. We want to be the best sporting entertainment experience in Australia. To do that we need to think about lifting professionalism at all levels. If there is an opportunity to improve our contracting window, we will do that”
I have no idea what they are likely to come up with but it is very unlikely to work.
This is the NRL we are talking about.

Foordy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Manly could be in some strife.

They've been allowing their Head of High Performance, Don Singe, to run training sessions while unvaccinated and unmasked.

he's been allowed access to the clubs state owned training facility that has a sign requiring proof of vaccination before you enter

Many have been accused of double standards for pressuring their players to get the jab, but not Singe

Singe has reportedly expressed anti-vax beliefs on social media, (many of these posts have now been taken down)

Manly’s chief executive Stephen Humphreys, doesn't think there is a problem and says the club isn't breaking health protocols, he says

“Don is discussing his situation with his GP and our chief medical officer,” Humphreys said.

“It’s under review at the moment is the way I’d describe it.

“I really don’t want to talk about the private health matters of any of my employees.

“It’s not my place to talk about his beliefs.”

Humphreys however insists: “We are definitely adhering to NRL protocols.

“Don is getting tested every day and completing all the details on his full whereabouts.

“He’s wearing a mask and not going into shared areas of the facility.”

a DT cameraman took a photo of Singe without a mask (it was around his wrist, lol)

Humphrey's again:

“The NRL would expect us to follow the protocols which we are,” Humphreys said.

When asked about the sign at the entrance to Manly training requesting proof of vaccination upon entry, Humphreys responded: “As I told you, we are complying with all NRL and Sydney Academy of Sport requirements and protocols.”

Foordy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
FB_IMG_1638509347434.jpg

Foordy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Josh Papali'i and another unvaxed Raiders player have reversed their stances and received their first jabs.

The Raiders still have 2 players yet to receive their first doses ... while the "estimated" total of unvaxed NRL players is down to single figures

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Threads
Josh Papali'i and another unvaxed Raiders player have reversed their stances and received their first jabs.

The Raiders still have 2 players yet to receive their first doses ... while the "estimated" total of unvaxed NRL players is down to single figures
Money over principles for big pappa.

Santa

QCup Player
Jun 30, 2020
Threads
I wonder if we're doing all this stuff in our system. Seems pretty cool the way they monitor everything.

State of Origin Captain
Apr 14, 2013
Threads
Peter Mulholland passed away. He battled cancer for a long time. Worked at a lot of clubs but left a mark everywhere he went. One of the best football brains and one of the greatest recruiters ever.

I spoke to him regularly about football and recruiting. He will be missed.

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Threads
Seibold something something.

There is no doubt about that,” he said.

“I’ve loved rugby league since I was five or six. I loved playing it. I did my teaching and transitioned to coaching. I loved everything about it but in the end I’d had a gutful. “It bruised me a fair bit.” “No, I haven’t,” Seibold would reply to each of the questions. It was enough for Gould to offer some timely advice.

“He said: ‘Mate, don’t you dare hide behind the curtains’,” Seibold revealed.
“’Hold your head up high. There will be other opportunities for you. Take your kids to school tomorrow’.” “I was feeling sorry for myself and that sort of punched me in a nose a little bit,” he said.

“I thought: ‘You know what, I am being selfish’. It was a hard period but I’m through the other side and there’s been some positive things to come out of that experience as well. “It almost doesn’t feel real, like that was me sometimes.”
“Selfishly, human nature would suggest you don’t want people to succeed if you didn’t succeed,” he said.

“The reality of it is that I gave a lot of those young kids their debuts to and still keep in touch with. Of course I wanted them to do well and I think they will do well as they experience more games and more ups and downs on the NRL rollercoaster.

“Am I angry about a couple of things that occurred there? Of course, I am. The reception I got and the support I potentially didn’t get. “You can’t be bitter. I’ve left that in the past. It was challenging but I think I’m a better coach and a better person for having gone through a pretty crap experience.”

Sebiold said that while he would not want to go through it again, he learned plenty about himself and added the move from South Sydney was ultimately in his family’s best interests. “It was challenging, there is no doubt about that,” he said.
“Would I want to go through it again? No, I wouldn’t. But you learn a lot about yourself... about what you would do differently. “It was a business decision. It was a five-year deal with a sixth year in my favour. I knocked it back a couple of times and in some ways I felt almost like negligent to the family if I continued to knock it back.

“Financially, it was a deal that not only looks after my family but my parents. I made a decision around that. “It is a wrong decision if you look at it from the respect of results. There were certainly some good things to come out of that Brisbane experience. Giving opportunities to guys like Xavier Coates and Kotoni Staggs.”
If an NRL come back is an option
“There’s a couple of ways I think about it,” he said. “I’m loving what I’m doing with England. The enjoyment I got from the Newcastle experience, helping other coaches initially and then working with the other group in the back-end.

“Then what I’ve done with Eddie, the three Tests I was involved with in England was an exceptional experience. “I’m not too sure what is next. Sometimes I feel it’d be great to come back again but who knows.”

Latest posts

Who should be captain?

• Herbie Farnworth

• Kotoni Staggs

• Jake Turpin

• Patrick Carrigan

• Payne Haas

• Adam Reynolds

• Billy Walters

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeyK

Members online

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.