NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coates needs surgery on his ankle, out for 2 months.

I'm so keen for an NRL club to give them a go.

A club like the Tigers or Dogs would be mad not to, if nothing else it gives their fans hope instead of recruiting another dud coach.

Tim Sheens mention a development coach many times during his interview on NRL360 ... The Walkers certainly fit the bill. the following stats from Shane are pretty impressive:

“During our time at Ipswich, we had 22 players sign contracts with NRL clubs. Guys like Kurt Capewell and Matt Parcell went on to play NRL and Kurt is an Origin player, so we’re very proud of the guys we helped bring through.”

Coates needs surgery on his ankle, out for 2 months.

A big performance from Oates could possibly push him ahead of Taulagi for the vacant QLD wing position

The Walker Brothers say they are still interested and are ready for an NRL coaching gig. they say they are not high risk appointments and have said that they'll sign a one year contract, and the club can sack them if they don't make the finals in year one.

Ben Walker says:

“It wouldn’t matter which team we coach, we will get success,” Walker said.

“In fact, we will say this to any club who gives us a chance — we are prepared to sign only a one-year contract and that club can sack us if we don’t make the finals in the first season.

“We always back ourselves.

“We actually run successful businesses away from rugby league, so we coach because we love it and have a passion to help players be better, not because we are trying to keep a job in the industry.

“It wouldn’t be a risk for any club to give us a chance.

“Our record shows we get success.”

“We have never had a losing season in terms of win percentage,” Ben said.

“We actually design game plans not to be risky.

“I can never get my head around this suggestion that we are risky coaches.

“Someone uses the word and suddenly it catches and that’s the vocabulary everyone wants to associate with us.

“We actually do not coach high-risk football. How we actually coach is by taking the majority of risk out of our play.

“For example, a lot of errors are made in the NRL when a lead runner hits a gap and they are about to be smashed or go through a hole. Invariably, they make an error because they lose the ball in contact trying to catch the ball right on the advantage line.

“Everything we do is about attacking away from the advantage line so we take the risk out of that type of error occurring.

“We are absolutely interested in an NRL job.

“I honestly don’t know what more we can do to show we are ready for the NRL. We know we can coach. We just want someone to give us a gig … they won’t regret it.”

The Warriors ruled out the Walkers this week over concerns of the co-coaching model, but Shane Walker says:

“If it’s that big a deal, one of us would happily step back and let the other guy be the head coach,” Shane said.

“I’d be happy to toss a coin with Ben and see who wants to be the head coach if it’s such an issue.

“The co-coaching model has worked for us. As brothers we think the same way.

“Since we left Ipswich, the Jets have won three games in three seasons so clearly we did something right.

“During our time at Ipswich, we had 22 players sign contracts with NRL clubs. Guys like Kurt Capewell and Matt Parcell went on to play NRL and Kurt is an Origin player, so we’re very proud of the guys we helped bring through.”
They sound like wwe tag team wrestlers ffs. Someone give them a gig.

Pretty cool crowd moment.

It's why the NRL need to invest in the international game. Stop making origin a feeding ground for Australian teams, it's a joke. Let players play for QLD/NSW if they're eligible, yet still choose the country of their choice. Make the international payments the same for all international teams, instead of raising the cap by 1.1m x 17 teams, use some of that 19m a year to fund international team player payments, raise the cap by 500k instead.

The competition won't suddenly become better by having another million in the cap, but it will be if the international league becomes a genuine must watch event across a few countries.

Sounds like Tigers are going to get Ciraldo.

If Ciraldo can actually be allowed to do his job, and that’s a big if, they club does have appeal. They have a junior pathway system (their issue is holding on to their kids) and a decent spine next year with Api going in. The issue will be landing anyone of significance with Redcliffe also desperate now.

If Ciraldo can actually be allowed to do his job, and that’s a big if, they club does have appeal. They have a junior pathway system (their issue is holding on to their kids) and a decent spine next year with Api going in. The issue will be landing anyone of significance with Redcliffe also desperate now.
best thing the tigers could do is let brooks walk to much money for very little return

best thing the tigers could do is let brooks walk to much money for very little return

The baffling thing with this is that he's requested a release a number of times. I think Newcastle were very interested in him last year? Tigers said no. I have no idea why you'd want to keep a guy that clearly wants to leave. I don't even think it's about money (at least it really shouldn't be) he just wants out of the club and they keep saying no.

The baffling thing with this is that he's requested a release a number of times. I think Newcastle were very interested in him last year? Tigers said no. I have no idea why you'd want to keep a guy that clearly wants to leave. I don't even think it's about money (at least it really shouldn't be) he just wants out of the club and they keep saying no.
if the rumors are true 1.1 million this year i would have jumped at the chance to get that off my books

Would take a bet it's because he wanted a release where the Tigers pay the difference. So for the Tigers it's do we have pay him 700k to pay elsewhere and find another half with 400k saved or just hope he comes good.

Would take a bet it's because he wanted a release where the Tigers pay the difference. So for the Tigers it's do we have pay him 700k to pay elsewhere and find another half with 400k saved or just hope he comes good.

Fair point, but by the sounds of things he's wanted out for a while so who cares if he comes good? Be painful for a year or two sure, but it's not like they've even looked like challenging for a couple of years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Mr Fourex
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • Organix
  • winslow_wong
  • kman
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • cento
  • bazza
  • Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.