NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My man this is incredibly biased coming from a diehard Broncos supporter. Legit we’ve overestimated our credentials badly we were running last just a couple of months ago and the team that is now last has recruited better than us so much so that the Spremiership odds have just been released:
Panthers 5.50
Storm 6.00
Sea Eagles 7.00
Rabbitohs 8.00
Roosters 9.00
Eels 12.00
Titans 15.00
Raiders 19.00
Sharks 21.00
Knights 21.00
Bulldogs 23.00
Broncos 26.00
Warriors 34.00
Cowboys 34.00
Tigers 41.00
Dragons 51.00

I think that our purple patch of form against inferior teams in the competition is going to really cost us because we are going into 2022 thinking that we are the shit when in reality we barely won against a Sharks side even the Bulldogs beat, won against a warriors team with half their men out with injuries and suspensions and then a Knights team resting their stars for the finals. It ain’t that impressive if you ask me. So coming from a realist perspective there’s a very good chance we’ll be in the bottom 4 again. Reynolds will not have the strike that he had around him at Rabbitohs and there is clear indications that his groin problems have duped Red Hill into handing him a contract. In other words, Reynolds is not our saviour and will never be though I welcome his signing because anything is better than the rabble we have now

We did beat the Roosters twice (I say twice because that Flegler penalty was ridiculous), pushed top 8 teams hard and especially the Panthers twice, we also have two GF players coming in (one a premiership winner) and successful young guys in the Q Cup, things are definitely trending up.

We did beat the Roosters twice (I say twice because that Flegler penalty was ridiculous), pushed top 8 teams hard and especially the Panthers twice, we also have two GF players coming in (one a premiership winner) and successful young guys in the Q Cup, things are definitely trending up.
Agree, it’s definitely not the doom and gloom as new mate above says and we should be trending up.

Assuming injuries and suspensions are not abnormal we should realistically be targeting the bottom of the top 8.

I don’t believe we are guaranteed a finals spot so wouldn’t fall off my chair if we finish 9th or 10th but I think 10th or lower would be a failed season.

Interesting read. Less Friday nights is definitely a bonus. I wonder why News don’t just get out of the Broncos - it’s like Murdoch and Co don’t give a flying **** anyway.

Interesting read. Less Friday nights is definitely a bonus. I wonder why News don’t just get out of the Broncos - it’s like Murdoch and Co don’t give a flying **** anyway.

A few things stand out in that article.
1. As the decision on a 17th team appears to have been a controlled leak when it is officially announced it will be something of a non event although they will no doubt try to hype it up.
2. Fox putting in extra money should alleviate opposition to another team as nobody will get less.
3. It will be interesting to see if the NRL can convince 9 to do similar.
4. Hopefully there will be a competitive bidding process for the free to air broadcast rights beyond 2022. It would be good if more than one broadcaster gets a slice of the free to air rights. In my view 9 have had a cheap ride far too long and have always got away with paying unders.
5. The big question is does fox putting in more money mean they will be able to show state of origin and the grand final live.
6. Reducing the number of free to air Broncos games is a furphy as they have to so as to be able to broadcast the new team a reasonable amount of times on free to air timeslots. In fact instead of showing a maximum 16 free to air Broncos games as they have been I predict they will show more than that in total for the Broncos and the 17th team combined.
7. It will be interesting to see if the new team (assuming it's Redcliffe) will have complete freedom to choose where it plays its home games as they have indicated they want Moreton Daily Stadium and Sunshine Coast Stadium to host some games.

What a grubby post by Tyrone may about his sex tape episode. Talking about people throwing dirt on his name, what a crock of shit, he did it to himself. Loads of their players supporting the post as well apparently. Sums those bunch of grubs up.

Because once they have exclusive rights to Broncos games on their subscription service, it suddenly becomes very lucrative to have a great team whose games aren't shown so often on FTA

Yay, let's look for who can be the fairytale team in 2022. Note: extra saltiness involved in these comments as well as the normal amount of conspiracy thrown in:

Broncos:
Showed improvement towards the end of the year, and the roster looks o be much improved next year. But were we just "allowed to play" at the end of the year because we were already guaranteed to miss the finals? It'll go one of two ways - we'll improve so that when the Plastics are introduced (and predictably beat us) there will be a "wow these guys are the real deal" feeling. Or of course we'll be over-penalised, neutered by heavy-handed suspensions, and mysteriously have terrible calls go against us all year. 3/10

Raiders:
Sticky had his chance, he's not developing from the area, and is once again showing he has no idea how to develop a half (and will keep cycling through them). Strategically irrelevant. 2/10

Bulldogs:
If anything I don't see them improving at all, because they are paying massive overs for their recruits, and their chequebook mentality will be the big no-no over the next few years. 1/10

Sharks:
Buzz bought his premiership in that one year they weren't cheating, I think their "luck" has run out for at least the next half decade. Kick them out. 1/10

Titans:
Oh they'll be gifted plenty of games and they will likely be the "best" Queensland (cough) team again, but that's only because of politics. The NRL can't have a Gold Coast franchise fail for the seventh? time. Even with Brisbane II coming in, the Titans' players will all somehow want to be Titans 4 Lyfe despite only being there because they followed the money. 6/10

Sea Eagles:
Tommy Turbo (and to a lesser extent his brother) is everything the NRL want to showcase in the "development pays off" marketing plan. DCE and Foran also fall in to the same category, but surely Foran is due to have his arm just completely fall off at the shoulder next time he is tackled. 4/10.

Storm:
Just **** off. 9/10

Knights:
Chequebook mentality has ended up with a bought roster, but interestingly the media are already claiming Gagai is going "home" so maybe the NRL has plans for them to not be shit and keep the two Johns lunatics happy. 7/10

Cowboys:
Wow, the media will keep calling them brave and they'll live off 2015 and 2017 for at least the next decade, but I can't see them doing anything with that roster and that "coach", even if the NRL wanted to. 3/10

Eels:
Hard to gauge. In my opinion they have over-achieved as it is, and with some of their key players (Gutherson, Moses) looking for a big payday it's possible they'll be due for a rebuild. But don't underestimate the influence Sterlo will have behind the scenes now that he doesn't have to appear impartial. 6/10

Panthers:
Now that they've been gifted their premiership they won't be carried quite as much. Cleary will still be allowed to play in a dinner suit but they won't be as dominant, and the NRL will claim how unfortunate it is to see such a successful, tight-knit team start to fall apart because of all those mean clubs who are poaching their talent. 6/10

Rabbitohs:
I strongly suspect that they were this years patsies, given a first-class ticket to the Grand Final but were only ever there to lose. Their defensive fortitude would have surprised even the NRL considering some of the efforts they came up with during the year though. Will lose a lot without Reynolds and Wayne. 4/10

Dragons:
Might be given a bit of a helping hand in order to claim that Brisbane were so stupid to let all these good players go, but apart from that I can't see a reason for the NRL to want them to succeed, especially after JDB kind of gave their "no fault stand down" policy the big middle finger. 2/10

Roosters:
They were sooo brave to make it as far as they did without all those great players and what talent they are able to bring through to support their superstar veterans. And they only poach unproven young players and develop them so well with their Culture and Standards and Systems and nothing shady going on here at all! My early premiership favourites for 2022. 10/10

Warriors:
Smokies actually. With Johnson returning there, and all the efforts they have put in during Covid, I think the NRL know they owe them one. And they would be a good team to prop up with the narrative that The Prodigal Son should never have left the Warriors and the NRL should do more to ensure developed stars stay with their team. 8/10

Tigers:
9th. I really feel sorry for Maguire. 3/10
I agree that the Warriors may prove to be a good bet in the upcoming season. I would tip them at least for the finals. I'd reckon Parra would also be a good bet. I'll have to have a good look at the politics of the NRL before I say anything definitive, but it should be pretty obvious after the first few rounds which team/s got the nod.

Interestingly, NZ has said they are no longer going for zero cases, so them opening up next year may not be as unlikely as it once was.

Interestingly, NZ has said they are no longer going for zero cases, so them opening up next year may not be as unlikely as it once was.
Yeah but you may still have to do quarantine (especially any anti-vaxxers) so if that’s the case it wouldn’t be feasible to play any nrl games There.

Saw this int he NRL email and didn't realise that was a play button in the middle the pic, for a second I was wondering what the hell they were thinking putting a random circle around the mouth! Also, I have no clue what their old logo looked like so... great job, maybe?

Saw this int he NRL email and didn't realise that was a play button in the middle the pic, for a second I was wondering what the hell they were thinking putting a random circle around the mouth! Also, I have no clue what their old logo looked like so... great job, maybe?

View attachment 15485

I can't tell any difference.

View attachment 15485
The claws are gone.

Attachments

• 1200px-Wests_Tigers_logo.svg.png
    1200px-Wests_Tigers_logo.svg.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • Strop
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncorob
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • Jazza
  • MrTickyMcG
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Footy Fanatic
  • eggstar10
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
... and 68 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.