NRL Injury Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has to be a cap penalty if there isn’t a legitimate career ending injury...this opens up whole new level of salary cap rorting. Better be watching his bank account to make sure he isn’t getting any lump sums.... what’s to stop teams offering someone who only really has 2 years left in them 500k a year for 5 years, knowing full well he isn’t going to make it but he’s worth way more then 500k a year.

The nhl did it a couple of years ago even if they retire (not from injury) the player looses the money but there is also a cap recapture for the team, It put a stop to teams giving out ridiculous long contracts well past a normal playing age bracket.

There has to be a cap penalty if there isn’t a legitimate career ending injury...this opens up whole new level of salary cap rorting. Better be watching his bank account to make sure he isn’t getting any lump sums.... what’s to stop teams offering someone who only really has 2 years left in them 500k a year for 5 years, knowing full well he isn’t going to make it but he’s worth way more then 500k a year.

The nhl did it a couple of years ago even if they retire (not from injury) the player looses the money but there is also a cap recapture for the team, It put a stop to teams giving out ridiculous long contracts well past a normal playing age bracket.
eh, I don't have a problem with it. It's entertainment for us but it's their bodies, their livelihoods post career. I don't think it's morally right to be like oh well, on the scrap heap you go, NEXT!

eh, I don't have a problem with it. It's entertainment for us but it's their bodies, their livelihoods post career. I don't think it's morally right to be like oh well, on the scrap heap you go, NEXT!
I don't think this is about the players receiving their dues or genuine retirement like seems to be the case for Inglis. It's about the potential for cap rorting.

Player X plans on retiring in 2 years. Instead of offering him a 2 years contract at $1M /year, offer a 4 years contract at $500K / year. You end up spending the same money over a longer period, but it gives you an extra $500K cap space for the first 2 years.

I don't think this is about the players receiving their dues or genuine retirement like seems to be the case for Inglis. It's about the potential for cap rorting.

Player X plans on retiring in 2 years. Instead of offering him a 2 years contract at $1M /year, offer a 4 years contract at $500K / year. You end up spending the same money over a longer period, but it gives you an extra $500K cap space for the first 2 years.
Perhaps they cap it at 50%, so 50% is still applicable to the cap and the other is exempt.
Rorting is going to happen no matter what, obviously we should minimize it where we can but I think we need to look out for players interests first and foremost.

I

you articulated it better. This was my point thanks.

Te Maire Martin is out indefinitely after scans revealed a small bleed on the brain.

Poor bugger. They don't know if it's football related. The Cowboys have said it's not career-threatening so he shouldn't have to retire.

Curtis Scott is being investigated by the integrity unit in what Paul Kent said was "a delicate matter" in his personal life.
Some stuff doing the rounds on social media.

From what I’ve read he turned up drunk to training after breaking up with his missus

From what I’ve read he turned up drunk to training after breaking up with his missus

It has to be more than that, why would the integrity unit be involved in that?

It has to be more than that, why would the integrity unit be involved in that?

No official complaints as yet but enough social media chat that it can't be ignored by the integrity unit.

Breaking news. Surgeons baffled to find that Leilua, in fact, has no neck.

Waqa Blake out for 10 weeks with a knee injury. Dean Whare out for 6 weeks with a hamstring injury.

Lucky the Panthers have DWZ... :P

Is there a more injury prone player in the NRL than Whare? I would love to know how many games he's missed in his career through injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  • big k
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • BroncoFan94
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Matheos
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.