Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Nrl 2018 gf sydney roosters v melbourne storm

NRL makes third-party agreements public and strengthens contract process

December 13, 2018

In a historic move, the NRL has made public the total value of each club's third-party agreements in a move it says will improve transparency and integrity of the code's contract process while dispelling misconceptions about how much clubs are relying on TPAs.

In 2018, the total value of cash and contra TPAs across the 16 clubs was $4.2 million – around 2.8% of the roughly $150 million cap – down from 3.5% in 2017 and expected to fall further in 2019 following the retirements of several highly marketable superstars.

On average, clubs benefited from $264,000 in TPAs, a figure boosted greatly by Melbourne (slightly more than $1 million) and Brisbane (almost $800,000).

Both clubs are one-team towns with strong corporate support while once-in-a-generation superstars in the twilight of their careers, like Cameron Smith and Billy Slater, boosted the Storm well above the average.

The Cowboys came in a distant third but are likely to drop significantly in 2019 following Johnathan Thurston's retirement while the Rabbitohs – a strong brand with a number of stars – were the only other club sitting above the average.

At the lower end, the Eels, Titans and Bulldogs netted barely $50,000 each through a combination of crowded marketplaces, poor on-field results and a dearth of highly marketable individuals.

tpa_20181213.jpg

The total 2018 TPA pool includes 205 agreements spread across 94 players but this does not include a large number of small non-cash deals – for example equipment like boots and headgear – that most NRL players have in some form.

NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks hoped the move would settle misconceptions that exist among not just fans and media but even clubs as to what other clubs are getting.

"For the first time, fans, clubs and others will be able to see for themselves exactly the volume of third party agreements that exist in the game. We think that's a good thing," Weeks said.

"One of the challenges we've seen is some misconceptions in the game about volume of TPAs which has caused some clubs and others to make bad decisions around the salary cap rules."

Weeks did not specify any clubs but salary cap penalties to Parramatta in 2016 and Manly in 2018 are well-documented, with the implication being that those clubs believed other clubs were getting a significant leg-up and needed to find a way to bend the rules to play catch-up.

"We think being able to understand the proper picture will help clubs, agents and others," Weeks added.

"We think the data we have illustrates clearly the volume of third party agreements that exist across the game aren't as great as some people believe.

"This has been an area that has created a lot of attention among fans and the media, a lot of the debate around it is inaccurate so we think by providing more transparency and accurate information it will take some of the heat out of the debate and that will only improve our compliance with the salary cap rules."

Weeks confirmed there were no plans to extend the increased transparency to the point of making player salaries public.

The NRL is also adding a layer to the process of signing players, with clubs and agents now required to submit all formal letters of offer to the NRL rather than just the final contract once a player has signed.

"We think it's another tool in our armoury to help us monitor what's going on with contracting activities," Weeks explained.

"To the extent there are some contracts that are done which are unusual in terms of players accepting offers less than other clubs are offering, it allows us to see that.

"At the moment we don't see anything until the contract is lodged. We only ever see the deal that's done with the club the player goes to. What we'll see in the future is competing offers that are made to the player before he makes his decision."

For example if two clubs flagged letters of offer to the NRL for a player that were around $700,000, and the player instead accepted a deal at a third club worth just $500,000 with no registered TPAs, that would present a red flag.

The NRL gained the power under the latest collective bargaining agreement to access players' phone and bank records, meaning in the above example it could monitor any suspicious activity more thoroughly.

"We've tried to put in more checks and balances to help identify any non-compliance with the rules," Weeks said.

"What is also does is require clubs, agents and players to jump through more hoops before they register third party agreements or sign playing contracts.

"We've got access to bank accounts now… We're very careful about when we use those powers because they're very significant so we'd only use them when we have a strong suspicion there has been a breach of the rules."

Source: NRL.com

And we apparently have the most advantage when it comes to TPA's. Storm's total amount would suggest otherwise.

The amount the Roosters spend is quite interesting considering their roster.

And we apparently have the most advantage when it comes to TPA's. Storm's total amount would suggest otherwise.

That's because paper bags don't count. It's amazing how Uncle Nick has the big end of town on his side, yet there is no paper trail.

I don't like that they now plan to force players to present all offers made to them ... there are many reasons why players would accept lower offers to stay at/ or move to a different club.

under this proposal, for example, we could be investigated because Oates took less to stay with us

Last edited:
They already released the TPA amounts last year, didn't they?

I don't like that they now plan to force players to present all offers made to them ... there are many reasons why players would accept lower offers to stay at/ or move to a different club.

under this proposal, for example, we could be investigated because Oates took less to stay with us

I don't see any issue with a club being investigated due to a player taking unders to stay with a club.

For a few teams, a player taking unders has been because they received illegal TPA's to top up their salary. Considering we've had 3 salary cap scandals in the past decade, it's clear that clubs can't be relied upon to be honest so the NRL are taking a different approach.

If the club has nothing to hide, they won't have anything to worry about.

I don't mind it. I'd rather absolute transparency. Especially if they have the power to seize phone and financial records.

I know that the teams that are better at cheating will always be a step ahead of the dinosaurs in the NRL, but if it makes it harder to cheat, that's fine with me.

I don't see any issue with a club being investigated due to a player taking unders to stay with a club.

For a few teams, a player taking unders has been because they received illegal TPA's to top up their salary. Considering we've had 3 salary cap scandals in the past decade, it's clear that clubs can't be relied upon to be honest so the NRL are taking a different approach.

If the club has nothing to hide, they won't have anything to worry about.

how do they really investigate it, most clubs doing the dodgy aren't as stupid as the Eels and Sharks ... they don't leave paper trails.

one thing that worries me is if they decide not to register a contract with a player simply because it is less than has been offered elsewhere.

It’s no surprise that Melbourne had the highest tpa’s. It’s not often you have

The recently retired Australian and state captain. Future immortal

Arguably one the best if not the best fullback to play the game. Possible future immortal

2019 though might be a struggle.

Thought they said earlier this year that Penrith was 2nd?

It’s no surprise that Melbourne had the highest tpa’s. It’s not often you have

The recently retired Australian and state captain. Future immortal

Arguably one the best if not the best fullback to play the game. Possible future immortal

2019 though might be a struggle.

Thought they said earlier this year that Penrith was 2nd?

I thought so too. They've said that those figures are from last year, and it was said at the time that most of ours are for Thaiday, so this year we may drop well down.

Will be interesting with Melbourne too. Slater gone so there's a chunk there, but I also wonder if Cam Smith is a lot less marketable at the moment. For a decade he was Mr Marketable, but in the last 6 months he's had a falling out with Cronk, various private-life rumours, is no longer the captain of the state and country, and is now in a dragged-out contract scenario with the Storm. It's a massive fall from grace.

Slater and Thaiday attribute to a combined 25% of that cap.

I thought so too. They've said that those figures are from last year, and it was said at the time that most of ours are for Thaiday, so this year we may drop well down.

Will be interesting with Melbourne too. Slater gone so there's a chunk there, but I also wonder if Cam Smith is a lot less marketable at the moment. For a decade he was Mr Marketable, but in the last 6 months he's had a falling out with Cronk, various private-life rumours, is no longer the captain of the state and country, and is now in a dragged-out contract scenario with the Storm. It's a massive fall from grace.

Lets just hope their fall from grace reflects on the pitch next season

Clearly with the low numbers for some of the sides with great squads this doesn't include private citizens just handing players cash.

You can’t tell me half the team isn’t getting a free car from Uncle Nick every year or two. 200k is laughable

You can’t tell me half the team isn’t getting a free car from Uncle Nick every year or two. 200k is laughable

These are just TPAs that are reported. How can the NRL stop me, someone with no links to the Broncos apart from being a mega fan, from walking up to Milford and handing him 50 grand?

These are just TPAs that are reported. How can the NRL stop me, someone with no links to the Broncos apart from being a mega fan, from walking up to Milford and handing him 50 grand?

The only thing stopping you is that a dude named "Battler" likely doesn't have $50k burning a hole in his back pocket.

A wealthy car dealership empire owner however...

The most interesting thing is just how small the TPA pool is. It wouldn't have shocked me if the Cowboys had over a million in TPAs with most of it belonging to JT. Even Parramatta shocks me given Hayne's stint in the NFL, I would have thought that would have net him a few sponsors.

I'm not sure how Penrith have so many TPAs, especially since it's actually down from when Maloney signed. Considering Cronulla's rate didn't increase, it can't have been Moylan.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.