NRL player Martin Kennedy arrested and charged with wildlife offences

• Thread starter Rhys van Beurden
  • Start date
Rhys van Beurden

Rhys van Beurden

QCup Player
Jun 20, 2013
SUSPENDED NRL star Martin Kennedy has been arrested over his alleged involvement in an illegal international wildlife smuggling ring.

The 28-year-old former Sydney Roosters and Broncos player was arrested at his Bondi home yesterday, where federal police seized a large amount of cash and a number of snakes while investigating his involvement in the trafficking of reptiles overseas.

Police will allege that he was responsible for 16 packages that arrived in Australia from Thailand containing more than 200 animals, including Chinese soft-shell turtles, alligator snapping turtles, snakehead fish, sugar gliders, veiled chameleons and freshwater stingrays.

It will also be alleged that between July and October 2016 investigators seized six packages bound for Sweden containing more than 40 native Australian shingleback lizards.

The Saturday Telegraph understands a number of individuals are involved in the smuggling racket, where rare reptiles are caught in the Outback and then mailed overseas.

The crews are recruited by syndicates who go to locations such as the Kimberleys and mail the reptiles to Sydney, where they are sold on the black market.

Sources said a shingleback lizard was worth up to $400 locally, and more overseas. “A breeding pair can get thousands overseas,” a wildlife investigator said.

“(Smugglers) often just take a risk that the animals will survive the flights and they are heavily packaged.”

Once a rising NRL star, Kennedy was last year suspended from playing for two years and nine months for breaching the league’s anti-doping policy.

The NRL Tribunal found Kennedy guilty of ordering performance-enhancing drugs during the 2012 off-season. It added an extra nine months to his ban after he was also found guilty of trying to delete evidence from his phone.

Kennedy was yesterday charged with 40 offences — 37 counts contrary to the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, and three offences contrary to the Biosecurity Act 2015. The charges carry a maximum penalty of 10 years in jail.

“This has been a complex investigation and the scale of criminality involved in the matter has been astounding,” AFP crime operations manager Chris McDevitt said.

Department of Environment assistant secretary Matt Cahill said the illegal international wildlife trade was worth billions of dollars.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...s/news-story/244e70048fc1834e14ce77d7f2ef6fbc

Twat....some of those exotics would be a nightmare especially the snapping turtle. Fucking idiot and an embarrassment to qld. Now, if he released 30 or forty tigers, bunch of monkeys and some other dinner delights for the tigers I wouldn't be half as dirty !

The wonders of the human pillow never cease to amaze.

What an absolute spud this guy is.

Wonder if this will spawn yet another story about players struggling to adjust to life after football

His parents must be so proud of him......

Seriously, you couldn't make this shit up.

I do remember watching a report that said Kennedy was into snakes.

One thing I don't understand is how the animals can survive in transit from here to Thailand?

I do remember watching a report that said Kennedy was into snakes.

One thing I don't understand is how the animals can survive in transit from here to Thailand?
the inflight entertainment is much better these days.

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Fitzy
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.