NRL Player Movement and Rumours 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suck a fat one Benji Barba.

Anthony Tupou to the Knights on a 1 year deal.

Decent signing, should help with their lack of experience in the forwards.

Shillington retires effective immediately due to injury. Great player on his day, especially for QLD but was a bit inconsistent overall

Rumour on Twitter yesterday about Tim Simona potentially joining the Titans, they've probably got the cap room required with the retirement of Shillington. If they land him they're going to have some serious attacking potential this year, I'd be moderately surprised if they don't finish in the top 4 for points scored in 2017 if they stay reasonably healthy.

1. Hayne
2. Don
3. Sarginson
4. Hurrell
5. Simona
6. Elgey
7. Taylor
8. James
9. Peats
10. Wallace
11. Taia
12. Proctor
13. McQueen

14. T.Roberts
15. Paasi
16. Pulu
17. Pettybourne

Michael Doolan (Eels U20s Half) --> Canterbury
Euan Aitken reigns until 2020
Ryan Matterson resigns until 2019

It looks like Canterbury are stealing a page from the Roosters and doubling down on emerging halves. What does it make now? Four halves coming through? I wonder if Des will actually give one of them a shot or will just throw Kasiano into the halves like he did with T-Rex and Josh Jackson a couple of times.

Aitken's defence will ensure he has a long career ahead of him. 2017 should be a big season, made an impressive start when he should have been playing 20s before entering a sophmore slump. Could be make or break and certainly one of the stories I'm interested in at St George.

Finally there's Ryan Matterson, the once forgotten Roosters half. They've got quite the dilemma down in Bondi, what with Keary, Watson, Matterson & Nikorima. If you factor in Cornish, Lam & O'Sullivan that's a lot of depth tied into positions that don't really require it. My theory is that Trent Robinson wants him either in the centre or backrow position. Either way, it's another road block for Nikorima who had a disastrous 2016, I wonder how much longer he and Copley have left? I also wonder if the writing was on the wall after the 2016 Australia Day incident? I'm just picturing them sitting back, starring onto nothingness before muttering 'I made a big mistake'.

Well the dogs need some halves because Mbye and Reynolds wont cut it

'I made a big mistake'

Or rather...

ive-made-a-huge-mistake-gob-arrested-development.gif

Well the dogs need some halves because Mbye and Reynolds wont cut it

Reynolds is a grub but he does his job well. I don't think he's on elite money. Mbye is IIRC. He looked on fire a year or two ago when the Dogs pack was monstering the opposition, but has been pretty useless since. Whether it's because the pack wasn't performing as well, or because he's slackened off a bit since getting the big $$, I don't know. But he'll be on the chopping block if he doesn't have a massive first 12 rounds this year.

Just kidding on the Arrested Development references by the way! Keep 'em coming.

Mbye is signed until 2020, so he has at least a year and a half of indifferent form and positional changes before the Dogs would consider releasing him. I know some people on here have it in for him, but I think he'll be better for the experience and the opportunity to play in the one role for the entire season.

Meanwhile Reynolds is off contract and if the season pans out as most expect, I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Des become a package deal for a club like Wests or St. George Illawarra.

While their halves have issues, their forward pack isn't as great as everybody thinks it is. Lichaa has really struggled to make the transition from NYC to NRL, Tolman and Graham don't compliment one another and their backrow formation lacks penetration. Their only saving grace is depth and having the ability to call Kasiano up off the bench. Normally I wouldn't consider a bench player among the best players in the competition, but Big Sam is an exception. He is so incredibly important to their side and there have been so many instances where the Dogs have been in a complete stalemate only for Kasiano to breathe life into them.

Interesting times ahead with Hopoate, Lichaa and Reynolds all off contract.

With Kasiano losing all the weight I wonder if he will still be as effective.
The Dogs biggest problem is that there two front rowers think they are halfbacks. Just hit the ball up and play it as quick as possible should be their instructions.

With Kasiano losing all the weight I wonder if he will still be as effective.
The Dogs biggest problem is that there two front rowers think they are halfbacks. Just hit the ball up and play it as quick as possible should be their instructions.

If he has worked on his stamina as well then I think he would be more effective.

Heard a whisper from a bulldog supporter James Graham may be on the market due to salary cap considerations.

Ryan Matterson - next Bryce Cartwright it is! I can't see it happening overnight but by 2018 he could provide them with the ball-skills they've been missing since Sonny returned to Rugby.

Kieran Foran has been cleared by the @NRL to play for @NZWarriors from ROUND 3 V Bulldogs
Return subject to further psychological assessment

Zac Bailey on Twitter

Just saw something posted by a Raiders fan page that Fensom is on his way to the Cowboys.

Can't for the life of me see where he would fit in. He's too good of a player to be running around in reserve grade but Cowboys does not compute with me.

Is David Furner still apart of their coaching staff?

Maybe that's the correlation?

I reckon Shaun would be a good fit at a lot of clubs, especially Canterbury, Gold Coast and New Zealand. I wouldn't have even been against the Broncos signing him on a sneaky one year stop-gap deal just so they had somebody during the initial rounds to take the pressure off the other forwards. He would have been really handy during the Origin period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Financeguy
  • Aldo
  • Spoon
  • bb_gun
  • Mustafur
  • Culhwch
  • TimWhatley
  • broncs30
  • Manofoneway
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Big Del
  • azza.79
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • BroncosMan
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.