NRL Player Movement and Rumours 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to make myself clear, my issue isn't about Cronulla signing players. It's the type of players they're signing, how the code supports this type of signing and how it does nothing to grow the brand of Rugby League.

What I didn't like about Cronulla is that they were a side of nomads. It wasn't like they built the side around players they had carefully brought through the grades, they just preyed on other club's future proofing their roster so they could bring in the likes of Ennis, Maloney & Barba who were all key in the premiership victory.

There's nothing marketable about these players. The mass public have already seen enough of them, they've made their minds up and you can't throw them into the same sentence as stars of the sport.

Yet the NRL wants you to sign these players. Why bother going through the hassle of developing a hooker when you can sign Robbie Farah for dirt cheap? Why would you ever bother 'blooding' halves when you can just sign Luke Keary on the cheap after a fall-out with the coach?

I mean take a look at the poor Wests Tigers. They've really had nothing to cheer about these past few years and whatever light they had at the end of the tunnel is going to be taken away as clubs throw all their weight behind securing a Tedesco, Moses or Brooks. By rights, the Tigers patience should be rewarded, they should be able to sign these players up and advertise to the mass public that hey if you want to see these players, come buy a membership and come out to the games. Who are they supposed to advertise next year? Nofoaluma? Lawrence? Woods?

The NRL fell in love with Moneyball, and instead of doing everything they can to ensure they stay relevant as an entertainment property they continue to lag further and further behind.

Just to make myself clear, my issue isn't about Cronulla signing players. It's the type of players they're signing, how the code supports this type of signing and how it does nothing to grow the brand of Rugby League.

What I didn't like about Cronulla is that they were a side of nomads. It wasn't like they built the side around players they had carefully brought through the grades, they just preyed on other club's future proofing their roster so they could bring in the likes of Ennis, Maloney & Barba who were all key in the premiership victory.

There's nothing marketable about these players. The mass public have already seen enough of them, they've made their minds up and you can't throw them into the same sentence as stars of the sport.

Yet the NRL wants you to sign these players. Why bother going through the hassle of developing a hooker when you can sign Robbie Farah for dirt cheap? Why would you ever bother 'blooding' halves when you can just sign Luke Keary on the cheap after a fall-out with the coach?

I mean take a look at the poor Wests Tigers. They've really had nothing to cheer about these past few years and whatever light they had at the end of the tunnel is going to be taken away as clubs throw all their weight behind securing a Tedesco, Moses or Brooks. By rights, the Tigers patience should be rewarded, they should be able to sign these players up and advertise to the mass public that hey if you want to see these players, come buy a membership and come out to the games. Who are they supposed to advertise next year? Nofoaluma? Lawrence? Woods?

The NRL fell in love with Moneyball, and instead of doing everything they can to ensure they stay relevant as an entertainment property they continue to lag further and further behind.
!!!

The Canberra Raiders have agreed to release Shaun Fensom from the final year of his contract, to take up a new deal with the North Queensland Cowboys.
Fensom was captain of the Raiders premiership winning NYC team in 2008, before making his first-grade debut in 2009. Across eight seasons with the Raiders, Fensom played 139 games and won the respect of countless fans for his work ethic and determination. Fensom was awarded the Raiders player of the year in 2011 and 2012.
The Raiders would like to wish Fensom all the best at the Cowboys, and thank him for his tireless efforts and leadership on and off the field for the club.

Edrick Lee 2 year deal with the Sharks, will possibly play Round 1.

Don't see him adding much value to the Sharks, but seems questionable from the Raiders.

Lee might not have kicked on like many predicted, but they're already going to be missing their left centre in Croker for the opening rounds.

They'll be going into the season with a makeshift edge pairing. I imagine teams will send a fair bit of traffic that way, could cost them a win or two if their new combination isn't up to scratch.

Gavin Orr says that as a premiership winning half, Chad Townsend deserves $1.2m a season. The same guy who was hooked in a semi, and generally hindered the Sharks with his poor decisions and shite kicking, I have to say he is bloody dreaming. Bloke doesn't deserve a quarter of that!

Chris Garry reporting Matt Scott will remain at Cowboys, rejecting a big offer from the knights.

Copley to the Titans confirmed, has a chance to play Friday.

Will he get a run at the titans when they are full strength?

I doubt he'd be in the starting team at full strength, Hurrell & Sarginson are who the Titans view as their long-term centres, but he might be able to push Sarginson out of the way.

I doubt he'd be in the starting team at full strength, Hurrell & Sarginson are who the Titans view as their long-term centres, but he might be able to push Sarginson out of the way.

Could get himself a wing spot at full strength if he performs well now

Copley's career going as I anticipated

havent seen much of Dan Sarginson is he any good?

· Dogs apparently told Reynolds he isn’t wanted after this season.

Ive always thought Reynolds would make a decent dummy half

he was originally a dummy half from memory, tried to make him into a half cause of ennis being there.

Reynolds wants 800k a season.

I don't blame the Bulldogs for their stance.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! If they lose Reynolds, they might become good again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • lynx000
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncoscope
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wild Horse
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.