NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, as @Foordy correctly pointed out, it's probably only the Roosters and Sea Eagles who wouldn't be interested. Every other club would no doubt give it very serious consideration.
I'd say even the roosters would take a look.

Teddy is getting closer to 30 and his ball playing and involvement this year has stepped up considerably, so they could consider running Teddy at 6 with Keary 7 and having Paps at 1 (noting that they dont have a GK)... media have been talking about Teddy to 6 and Manu to 1 recently so they may give it a run at some point this year

Would be absolutely ludicrous to think that they would be able to fit that under the cap and they have a more pressing need at 9, but this is the roosters we're talking about and they'll have you believe there's enough cap to add Paps, Harry and BSmith.

Swalker would just get a few more years in ISC and come back after roosters look to medically retire whichever player they no longer have a need for

You'd have to be delusional to think $800k at the Tigers is the best Paps could hope to achieve on the open market.

Fullbacks, even bog average ones, ALWAYS attract stupid money, and Paps is a million miles from bog average.

I'd say $800k would be at the bottom end of what he could realistically command on the open market, and as for suitors, I'd suggest he'd have far more than just the Tigers to pick from.

Of course they wouldn't be the only one, but they're an example of a terrible club you could go to for more money but not have a great career- which was the point.

Pages of debate on here about how Walsh should of made the smart call and taken less money and stayed where he was happy and going to play football- but Paps should run with the money and be miserable.

Of course they wouldn't be the only one, but they're an example of a terrible club you could go to for more money but not have a great career- which was the point.

Pages of debate on here about how Walsh should of made the smart call and taken less money and stayed where he was happy and going to play football- but Paps should run with the money and be miserable.

Come on man, you said yourself the other day to use common sense. I am sure you can see the difference here. 500k v 250k (likely increasing) of 650k v 1 million +. That is a huge difference.

Also, some of those rubbish teams look on the up. Look at the Dogs for example, they need a fullback and seem to have no salary cap anymore, they would have thrown the kitchen sink at him and it would have been appealing I am sure. He could also potentially go to the Broncos who are a huge club, looking on the up and will have cash to burn when he is off contract.

In all of this, the point is, no one would have an issue with him staying at the Storm for less if the amount of what he is being paid and what he could be paid wouldn't be so vast.

I mean, the NRL slap prices on players so this kind of thing doesn't normally happen don't they?

What's worse in everyone's opinion

Salary Cap Cheating

or

Being on peptides during the season

Interested to see if people think what storm did or sharks did was worse

Salary Cap Cheating

or

Peptides probably but I assume that most teams are doing both on some level

Salary Cap Cheating

or

The Sharks did both...

You're probably correct in saying Melbourne at $650k is more attractive than the Tigers at $800k. I'd suggest most players would feel the same way.

The ACTUAL point people are, in my opinion, rightly calling out as bullshit is that:

A) The Tigers would definitely not be the only ones interested. Plenty of not terrible clubs would no doubt be keen on him too. He's not some under the radar guy from a Queensland Cup backwater. He's lit up the entire competition for 2 seasons now and it's likely that only injury has denied him an Origin start at this point. There wouldn't be a fan in the game that isn't very much aware of him and what he can do, so I highly doubt he's slipping under other club's Recruitment staff's noses.

B) The gap in this current Fullback market is actually more likely to be $650k at Melbourne compared to up to $1 million + at another club. Walsh hadn't even played Queensland Cup and he got a $500k a year deal. Nicho Hynes is less well known than Papenhuyzen and even he's earning what Papenhuyzen supposedly just signed for. In this market Paps is getting HUGE unders if he's really signed for $650k a year - probably in the region of 30-40% less than he could command elsewhere. That is a LOT of money in anyones books. It simply beggars belief that he supposedly didn't even test the market if you believe what the Storm are telling us.

You're probably correct in saying Melbourne at $650k is more attractive than the Tigers at $800k. I'd suggest most players would feel the same way.

The ACTUAL point people are, in my opinion, rightly calling out as bullshit is that:

A) The Tigers would definitely not be the only ones interested. Plenty of not terrible clubs would no doubt be keen on him too. He's not some under the radar guy from a Queensland Cup backwater. He's lit up the entire competition for 2 seasons now and it's likely that only injury has denied him an Origin start at this point. There wouldn't be a fan in the game that isn't very much aware of him and what he can do, so I highly doubt he's slipping under other club's Recruitment staff's noses.

B) The gap in this current Fullback market is actually more likely to be $650k at Melbourne compared to up to $1 million + at another club. Walsh hadn't even played Queensland Cup and he got a $500k a year deal. Nicho Hynes is less well known than Papenhuyzen and even he's earning what Papenhuyzen supposedly just signed for. In this market Paps is getting HUGE unders if he's really signed for $650k a year - probably in the region of 30-40% less than he could command elsewhere. That is a LOT of money in anyones books. It simply beggars belief that he supposedly didn't even test the market if you believe what the Storm are telling us.
Maybe the others clubs have learned about paying heaps for storm players and weren't offering as much. At the end of the day we aren't going to see him out of a storm jersey, but would he have the same effect outside of the storm system? who knows

Maybe the others clubs have learned about paying heaps for storm players and weren't offering as much. At the end of the day we aren't going to see him out of a storm jersey, but would he have the same effect outside of the storm system? who knows
Clubs at this very moment were willing to offer it for Hynes who realistically has less runs on the board at NRL level than Paps so I think that argument is a pretty weak one.

Clubs at this very moment were willing to offer it for Hynes who realistically has less runs on the board at NRL level than Paps so I think that argument is a pretty weak one.
And he's not an overrated Storm numpty, he's arguably their best player most weeks who carries the team.

A storm backrower, outside back, fair enough big risk. Not their first choice fullback who wins them a grand final with a 70m try out of nothing.

Salary Cap Cheating

or

Peptides

Cant really cry foul when we had lockyer here on unders the majority of his career,its not like paps is being paid a pie and a coke its still 650k

And he's not an overrated Storm numpty, he's arguably their best player most weeks who carries the team.

A storm backrower, outside back, fair enough big risk. Not their first choice fullback who wins them a grand final with a 70m try out of nothing.
You can’t teach speed not even the storm…..he’s on way unders there is no way the nrl let us get away with this. He’s a safe bet for any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Nerd
  • Financeguy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • kman
  • Harry Sack
  • something
  • Hoof Hearted
  • thenry
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Xzei
  • Yem
  • Ejbroncos
  • DrGee
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
... and 51 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.