NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep and this is where your club's decision with Fifita actually made sense. It was WAY overs but they needed to land a big fish. As a result, they became a more attractive proposition to other players, especially youngsters. This was playing the long game even though it leads to short-term pain. The Dolphins NEED to land a big name and they will inevitable NEED to overpay to get whoever it is. They need to be aggressive, find a Ponga / Munster and make them an offer they can't refuse. This will get the ball rolling.
Does Fifita *really* bring other players to the club? I don't buy it.

Does Fifita *really* bring other players to the club? I don't buy it.

On his own, no but he is a Gold Coast junior and coupled with Tino - it was two big signings in a young age group that said to other young guys, we want to bring you home and we are building for the future. It likely led to being able to keep guys like Campbell, Sexton, etc and now they have a good pipeline established. I have no way to prove this of course but it just seemed like Fifita and Tino were figureheads of the direction the Coast wanted to go.

I am also not saying the amount they paid for Fifita was a good move, it wasn't, it was WAY WAY WAY overs but it made a statement and that is clearly what they were going for.

On his own, no but he is a Gold Coast junior and coupled with Tino - it was two big signings in a young age group that said to other young guys, we want to bring you home and we are building for the future. It likely led to being able to keep guys like Campbell, Sexton, etc and now they have a good pipeline established. I have no way to prove this of course but it just seemed like Fifita and Tino were figureheads of the direction the Coast wanted to go.

I am also not saying the amount they paid for Fifita was a good move, it wasn't, it was WAY WAY WAY overs but it made a statement and that is clearly what they were going for.
Exactly how I'd put it (overs and all). Remember heaps of quotes from juniors excited about him joining.

Would there not be a similar problem then though? I get that this year managers can play them pretty hard for overs due to their full cap currently, but, if they have a really poor first year because they've got nobody, aren't they stuck in the same position as every other struggling club having to overpay to lure players?

I dont think it will matter that much as long as they are competitive even if they lose more than they win. Theres still enough talent out there for them without the superstar signings. They need to make sure they get a group who turn up and compete every game.

I dont agree that they need a superstar signing in 2023, mainly because there is very little out there at the moment. Realistically, its Brandon Smith, maybe Junior Paulo but what they need to make sure they get is competitors and leaders. I'd be looking at players like Eisenhuth, Stone, Opacic, Gilbert/Mcguire, Cotter, Harawira Naera. Still think they will get somebody like Widdop or Sezer for 2023, alongside Nikorima or Milford. Knowing Bennett, he will probably have a look at somebody like Ese'ese who has underachieved but who Wayne has got performing in the past.

I dont think it will matter that much as long as they are competitive even if they lose more than they win. Theres still enough talent out there for them without the superstar signings. They need to make sure they get a group who turn up and compete every game.

I dont agree that they need a superstar signing in 2023, mainly because there is very little out there at the moment. Realistically, its Brandon Smith, maybe Junior Paulo but what they need to make sure they get is competitors and leaders. I'd be looking at players like Eisenhuth, Stone, Opacic, Gilbert/Mcguire, Cotter, Harawira Naera. Still think they will get somebody like Widdop or Sezer for 2023, alongside Nikorima or Milford. Knowing Bennett, he will probably have a look at somebody like Ese'ese who has underachieved but who Wayne has got performing in the past.

Look at the comp this year though, it was an absolute abomination. There were literally three teams that could win it. There was then a middle group who sucked but not quite as bad as everyone in the bottom rung sucked. If the Dolphins come in as a bottom rung team in their first year and get flogged like the Dogs, Cows and Broncs did repeatedly this year, a lot of good will they naturally have as being a new team will quickly evaporate. They need a big signing, even if it is for '24 but announced REALLY early.

I suspect they will target Cobbo and/or Mozer as their key signings and try and get them released early and that will suck for two reasons:

1. They will be clearly cannibalising us which will potentially just make them another Crushers and Broncos' fans won't will be keen to jump on board with them as a second team if they do this
2. They are our kids and as fans it will suck because we have all seen it coming and will then have to start the re-build all over again

Wonder if the dragons would be open to moving hunt on for 2023 even if they had to chip in some

Look at the comp this year though, it was an absolute abomination. There were literally three teams that could win it. There was then a middle group who sucked but not quite as bad as everyone in the bottom rung sucked. If the Dolphins come in as a bottom rung team in their first year and get flogged like the Dogs, Cows and Broncs did repeatedly this year, a lot of good will they naturally have as being a new team will quickly evaporate. They need a big signing, even if it is for '24 but announced REALLY early.

I suspect they will target Cobbo and/or Mozer as their key signings and try and get them released early and that will suck for two reasons:

1. They will be clearly cannibalising us which will potentially just make them another Crushers and Broncos' fans won't will be keen to jump on board with them as a second team if they do this
2. They are our kids and as fans it will suck because we have all seen it coming and will then have to start the re-build all over again

I really dont see who they will take off us so i just cant see them cannibalising the Broncos. Cobbo would be a target for more than just the Dolphins, and any good player off contract is a target.

When the market for top line talent just isnt there, you have to be smart and not just sign a player for the hell of it. Lets face it, you have Manu, Tino, Paulo and Smith, then beneath them there was the likes of RCG, Papalii, Gutho, Mahoney. Pretty slim pickings really in the scheme of things especially when the majority of them wouldnt have been keen to leave Sydney. The only other possibilities are negotiating early releases.

I'm still of the opinion they just need to be competitive in 2023 and thats good enough. They can build for 2024 from there.

I really dont see who they will take off us so i just cant see them cannibalising the Broncos. Cobbo would be a target for more than just the Dolphins, and any good player off contract is a target.

When the market for top line talent just isnt there, you have to be smart and not just sign a player for the hell of it. Lets face it, you have Manu, Tino, Paulo and Smith, then beneath them there was the likes of RCG, Papalii, Gutho, Mahoney. Pretty slim pickings really in the scheme of things especially when the majority of them wouldnt have been keen to leave Sydney. The only other possibilities are negotiating early releases.

I'm still of the opinion they just need to be competitive in 2023 and thats good enough. They can build for 2024 from there.
Is ponga an option for 2023?
1 ponga
6 milford
7 hunt
14 kodi

Wouldnt be the worst start uf you could manage it.

Is ponga an option for 2023?
1 ponga
6 milford
7 hunt
14 kodi

Wouldnt be the worst start uf you could manage it.

I really dont know the real story with Ponga and his contract.

I really dont know the real story with Ponga and his contract.
only thing i could find is that he has till june next year to decide if he activates his player option, tariq simms is available for 2023 might be a bennett type signing think korbin is off contract for 2023 too both of them wouldnt break the bank and would add some experience to the forwards.

I think you’re somewhat in denial. There was heaps of good talent available for 2023:

Welch, Paulo, Mahoney, Manu, Smith, Tino, Papali’i, Gatherson, Walker, Api, Kikau, etc.

They have signed no one. Clubs aren’t going to be any more willing to let players go in 2024. The bidding wars are going to happen then too.

Welch, Smith/Mahoney, Tino and Walker would’ve been a massive start for the club. You could probably pad that team out with budget buys around that and be a finals team.

We aren't. He was released from his current contract to save us from sacking him. We are not paying the dogs a cent

We are. Part of the negotiation process included how much we're chipping in.

Maybe he Dolphins are playing the long game. They are deliberately showing interest in just about everyone immediately available to jack up the amount the incumbent club has to pay them. That leaves less money for them to retain future players so you'd think some will be squeezed out and become available. Of course it could backfire and cause a temporary price inflation so that everyone has to pay higher figures for average players.

I think you’re somewhat in denial. There was heaps of good talent available for 2023:

Welch, Paulo, Mahoney, Manu, Smith, Tino, Papali’i, Gatherson, Walker, Api, Kikau, etc.

They have signed no one. Clubs aren’t going to be any more willing to let players go in 2024. The bidding wars are going to happen then too.

Welch, Smith/Mahoney, Tino and Walker would’ve been a massive start for the club. You could probably pad that team out with budget buys around that and be a finals team.
I have been saying there is plenty of talent tbh, I just don't think there is a lot of superstar talent. Like I said before as well, a lot of the Sydney based players just aren't interested in moving from Sydney.

Would there not be a similar problem then though? I get that this year managers can play them pretty hard for overs due to their full cap currently, but, if they have a really poor first year because they've got nobody, aren't they stuck in the same position as every other struggling club having to overpay to lure players?
And, having a bunch of duds on contracts that they either have to move on or live with.

Luciano Leilua has signed a 3 year deal with the Cowboys from 2023. 700k a year

he has asked for a release from the final year of his contract to join the Cowboys in 2022.

according to Slothfield, "shattered" Tigers officials are planning a press release tomorrow morning.

Makes sense, something had to give with the signing of Papali'i.

About time the Cowboys invested in an edge back rower, probably the first decent one they've had since Gavin Cooper was in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• HarryAllan7
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Wolfie
  • heartly87
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncos Maestro
  • RolledOates
  • Organix
  • Behind enemy lines
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Rowdy124
  • LittleDavey
  • Old Mate
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • pennywisealfie
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.