NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe it does.

The Tigers are desperate and they need as many outside backs as they can get their hands on. Naden provides them some utility and gives them something outside of the box. At least that would be their rationale behind the signing.

It's a shame it's come to this, but it probably highlights how much Gildart is struggling in first grade.

I haven't paid close enough attention to know exactly where Gildart is struggling but I've long since held the belief that clubs have to be patient with English halves and backs. The role is far more demanding in the NRL and while a lot of these players have the skills to be successful it's the knowledge and application of said knowledge that requires the most amount of development.
Their injuries are adding up fast, easy to see why they would sign him looking at that.

I don't believe it does.

The Tigers are desperate and they need as many outside backs as they can get their hands on. Naden provides them some utility and gives them something outside of the box. At least that would be their rationale behind the signing.

It's a shame it's come to this, but it probably highlights how much Gildart is struggling in first grade.

I haven't paid close enough attention to know exactly where Gildart is struggling but I've long since held the belief that clubs have to be patient with English halves and backs. The role is far more demanding in the NRL and while a lot of these players have the skills to be successful it's the knowledge and application of said knowledge that requires the most amount of development.

I like Gildart, same as i liked Hardaker, Tomkins and Watkins. All really good players but i think they all picked the wrong clubs at the wrong time.

The two i thought did think went to the right clubs were Hall and Burgess. Neither did brilliantly but joined good sides.

I don't believe it does.

Attack wise gildart hasn't been terrible. He has some good footwork and acceleration but limited ball skills and is on the lighter side for an nrl centre so doesn't bend the line.

His defence is pretty disappointing And is why I think he has been dropped on a few occasions.

View attachment 18375Their injuries are adding up fast, easy to see why they would sign him looking at that.
I must have edited it out of my post but that's essentially what I was alluding to when I said they were desperate. Their stocks are paper thin and I presumed Gildart was available which is why he was named in reserves which is why I focused on him.

I like Gildart, same as i liked Hardaker, Tomkins and Watkins. All really good players but i think they all picked the wrong clubs at the wrong time.

The two i thought did think went to the right clubs were Hall and Burgess. Neither did brilliantly but joined good sides.
The only player who could handle the adjustment to the NRL right away was Tomkins and even then he wasn't worth the $750K the Warriors paid. That may not sound like much these days but back when the salary cap was $5 - $5.5 million that was a significant portion right there.

The only player who could handle the adjustment to the NRL right away was Tomkins and even then he wasn't worth the $750K the Warriors paid. That may not sound like much these days but back when the salary cap was $5 - $5.5 million that was a significant portion right there.

You would think they would have advisors to keep them away from clubs like the Tigers for example in the state they have been in.

You would think they would have advisors to keep them away from clubs like the Tigers for example in the state they have been in.
I don't think it's the worst career opportunity. They get to play in the premier competition, build their profile and connections among the competition which can help them out long term. The issue is they're expected to be quality players right out of the box and they really need to be managed effectively.

I actually thought Watkins was beginning to show something at the Titans before COVID hit and he chose to return home for instance.

I don't think it's the worst career opportunity. They get to play in the premier competition, build their profile and connections among the competition which can help them out long term. The issue is they're expected to be quality players right out of the box and they really need to be managed effectively.

I actually thought Watkins was beginning to show something at the Titans before COVID hit and he chose to return home for instance.

They do need to be managed better but i guess that luxury isnt there for a lot of them. They get picked up on decent money and are expected to be the finished article straight away because the struggling sides need players performing straight away.

The problem for me when they end up at struggling clubs is they probably harm their reputation in the NRL. You look at them when they go back to Superleague and they all still play really good footy, but not many every come back here.

They do need to be managed better but i guess that luxury isnt there for a lot of them. They get picked up on decent money and are expected to be the finished article straight away because the struggling sides need players performing straight away.

The problem for me when they end up at struggling clubs is they probably harm their reputation in the NRL. You look at them when they go back to Superleague and they all still play really good footy, but not many every come back here.
Most of them actually benefit from playing in the NRL. When Greg Eden signed with the Brisbane Broncos he was something of a joke in the ESL. He was barely playing Super League but after he returned he was a revelation. I believe he scored something like 40 tries in his return season?

Most of them actually benefit from playing in the NRL. When Greg Eden signed with the Brisbane Broncos he was something of a joke in the ESL. He was barely playing Super League but after he returned he was a revelation. I believe he scored something like 40 tries in his return season?
If my memory serves me right, Greg Eden was going okay in the Super league before he came over? He came with very high wraps.

If my memory serves me right, Greg Eden was going okay in the Super league before he came over? He came with very high wraps.
He received massive raps early in his career. Nathan Brown called him the next Billy Slater but by the time he signed with the Broncos his career was at a real crossroads. He'd been with four clubs in four years and he was a joke among ESL fans.

Saw a rumour going around online that 8 players approached the club for an early release on the wake of the Barrett sacking

He received massive raps early in his career. Nathan Brown called him the next Billy Slater but by the time he signed with the Broncos his career was at a real crossroads. He'd been with four clubs in four years and he was a joke among ESL fans.

He's actually been exceptional for Castleford.

The one player i thought would do well over here and never did was Richie Mathers when he was at the Titans. Had a bad knee injury which didnt help him.

I think Burgess at Souths was a better fit, than he was at the Roosters for whatever reason. I though he was beginning to find his feet in the NRL at Souths, but unfortunately he decided to head back home. Would have liked to see him stay a bit longer. As for Hall, he was a little too old when he joined the NRL. Would have liked to have seen him come here a lot earlier in his career. He used to be a beast, and I think he would of been pretty good in the NRL in his prime.

I think Burgess at Souths was a better fit, than he was at the Roosters for whatever reason. I though he was beginning to find his feet in the NRL at Souths, but unfortunately he decided to head back home. Would have liked to see him stay a bit longer. As for Hall, he was a little too old when he joined the NRL. Would have liked to have seen him come here a lot earlier in his career. He used to be a beast, and I think he would of been pretty good in the NRL in his prime.
I agree.

Had Hall joined an NRL club in 2009 I believe he would have been one of the better backs in the competition. Unfortunately he was well past his peak 10 years later and I believe he had a few injury setbacks that prevented him from really making an impact. I think both parties knew what they were getting into when the deal was done which is why the Roosters were able to afford him.

Hall and Tomkins are the only backs from the Super League I've genuinely rated as world class. The rest could hold their own in the NRL but I don't think they would turn heads.

At least in players like Farnworth and Young we're getting to see what these young English outside backs are capable of when they're in an NRL system for a number of years.

I agree.

Had Hall joined an NRL club in 2009 I believe he would have been one of the better backs in the competition. Unfortunately he was well past his peak 10 years later and I believe he had a few injury setbacks that prevented him from really making an impact. I think both parties knew what they were getting into when the deal was done which is why the Roosters were able to afford him.

Hall and Tomkins are the only backs from the Super League I've genuinely rated as world class. The rest could hold their own in the NRL but I don't think they would turn heads.

At least in players like Farnworth and Young we're getting to see what these young English outside backs are capable of when they're in an NRL system for a number of years.

I'd throw in Martin Offiah, Jonathan Davies and Jason Robinson in as world class players tbh. I'd also be inclined to throw in Shaun Edwards as well.

I sent Ryan Hall job application forms for the Broncos Leagues Club for years in an attempt to get him here. By the time he did come to the NRL it was too late unfortunately.

Edit: Also, he never replied..

I sent Ryan Hall job application forms for the Broncos Leagues Club for years in an attempt to get him here. By the time he did come to the NRL it was too late unfortunately.

Edit: Also, he never replied..
Your application forms where no match for Uncle Nick's dollar bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Rowdy124
  • jarro65
  • BroncoFan94
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fatboy
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • jd87
  • Broncorob
  • Shane Tronc
  • Financeguy
  • Mister Wright
  • Dash
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.