NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
just saw bevan french in the news wonder if any clubs will have a look at him for next year?
couldn't hurt the dolphins to atleast see if he is interested

just saw bevan french in the news wonder if any clubs will have a look at him for next year?
couldn't hurt the dolphins to atleast see if he is interested
Yeah they could do worse than sign him and jai field

Jai Field would be great at fullback for them for sure, much much better option than Isaako mainly because just about anyone is better than Isaako at fullback.

I dont think Field will have the same impact in the NRL at fullback. I've said it before but he is basically a slightly better version of Dufty. Brilliant ball runner and decent with the ball in his hand, but i dont think what he does will translate back into NRL footy at fullback. French is another i dont think will thrive back in the NRL. I think as either a winger or fullback, which both Field and French have played in Superleague, i think they lack the physicality you need as an NRL player. Those sorts of quick players just suit the more open style of footy in England.

Interested to see how Dufty goes actually. He isnt signing for a dominant side like say Wigan who Field and French play for, so he will have to defend a bit more at Warrington but i think he should do pretty well.

I dont think Field will have the same impact in the NRL at fullback. I've said it before but he is basically a slightly better version of Dufty. Brilliant ball runner and decent with the ball in his hand, but i dont think what he does will translate back into NRL footy at fullback. French is another i dont think will thrive back in the NRL. I think as either a winger or fullback, which both Field and French have played in Superleague, i think they lack the physicality you need as an NRL player. Those sorts of quick players just suit the more open style of footy in England.

Interested to see how Dufty goes actually. He isnt signing for a dominant side like say Wigan who Field and French play for, so he will have to defend a bit more at Warrington but i think he should do pretty well.

I don’t disagree of course but as mentioned, anyone would be better than Isaako and Field I think is a better player than when he left.

I don’t disagree of course but as mentioned, anyone would be better than Isaako and Field I think is a better player than when he left.

He has improved a fair bit really. I'd be surprised if Field would want to come back though tbh. Playing good footy in a good side and seems to be enjoying himself.

some conflicting reports about the state of the Dragons cap via the same Fox Sports article:

Dave Riccio reports:

Billy Burns, Poasa Faamausili, Jackson Ford, Jack Gosiewski, Josh McGuire, Tautau Moga have either already, or will be, told they are free to negotiate with rival clubs. This is just to get under the cap for next season, they have currently signed no-one new for 2023.

“The Dragons salary cap has not been touched on enough,” Dave Riccio said on SEN.

“They haven’t bought anyone for next year and they haven’t signed a player for next season.

“Their salary cap is so tight (and) there’s not a lot of wiggle room.

“They have huge money tied up in Jack de Belin, huge money tied up in Zac Lomax and Ben Hunt obviously.

“We will see a player clean-out at the end of the year just to try and alleviate some cap space.

“It’s very difficult to change results when you can’t replenish the roster and that’s the situation going forward for the Dragons.”

Later, Brent Read reports:

That the Storm will ask the Dragons one or two more times before the Aug 1 deadline to release Sims early. if the Dragons relent that would free up the room to sign Nathan Brown from the Eels

“Melbourne actually made an approach to the Dragons last week and asked whether they would release (Sims) early and they said ‘no way not happening’ but I don’t think this is over,” Read said on Triple M.

“I think the Dragons will get three more games in before the August 1 deadline and Melbourne will be watching the results of those games pretty closely.

“I suspect Melbourne will come back again at some point in the next two weeks and they’ll ask the question again and it wouldn't surprise me if they get knocked back again they ask them again before the August 1 deadline.

“They’ve got some issues down there in terms of injury and so forth, Tariq is obviously going there next year, the fact Christian Welch won’t be back this year.”

Read then explained how Sims could pave the way for Brown to join the Dragons.

“The other guy I suspect we need to keep an eye on in this is Nathan Brown the Parramatta lock, now he’s been given permission to negotiate, he’s just finalised a new agent so his talks will heat up in the next couple of weeks and again it wouldn’t surprise me if he was to leave before August 1,” Read said.

“Now I don’t know if the Dragons are keen on him but if Tariq was to move then potentially that would open the door for the Dragons to look at a guy like Nathan Brown, and the other thing with Tariq is if the Dragons happen to lose the next three games they drop out of top eight contention, you let Tariq go and it frees up some money that you can use for this year or push into next year, so there are some advantages in terms of the salary cap and maybe it creates the room to get someone like Nathan Brown into the club if not this year then next year.

“I know his name was bandied about but I don’t know if they pressed on with that, I know the Wests Tigers are looking at Nathan Brown, I think they’re the two biggest names that could potentially move before August 1.

“If the Dragons happen to drift out of finals contention and let Tariq Sims go then they can start looking at guys they haven’t made a decision on for next year like Jackson Ford.

“So there’s some opportunities that if they let Tariq go they can have a look at some other guys but it’s going to hinge I suspect on whether they’re going to be in top eight contention by August 1.

“But Melbourne will definitely ask the question again on Tariq in two weeks.”

in other transfer news:

Tex Hoy has signed a 2 year contract with Hull FC

The Cowboys have signed former Knights and Broncos back Gehamat Shibasaki train and replacement deal for the remainder of 2022.

Todd Payten says:

“He in on a train and replacement contract for the rest of this season,” Cowboys coach Todd Payten confirmed to Channel 9’s Wide World of Sports.

“He’s a nice kid and looks good at training.”

Todd Payten says:

“He in on a train and replacement contract for the rest of this season,” Cowboys coach Todd Payten confirmed to Channel 9’s Wide World of Sports.

“He’s a nice kid and looks good at training.”
also payten: "we have approached the nrl to discuss the possibility of allowing shibasaki to play wearing wicket keeper gloves as that is the only way he can catch a fucking ball."

some conflicting reports about the state of the Dragons cap via the same Fox Sports article:

Dave Riccio reports:

Billy Burns, Poasa Faamausili, Jackson Ford, Jack Gosiewski, Josh McGuire, Tautau Moga have either already, or will be, told they are free to negotiate with rival clubs. This is just to get under the cap for next season, they have currently signed no-one new for 2023.

“The Dragons salary cap has not been touched on enough,” Dave Riccio said on SEN.

“They haven’t bought anyone for next year and they haven’t signed a player for next season.

“Their salary cap is so tight (and) there’s not a lot of wiggle room.

“They have huge money tied up in Jack de Belin, huge money tied up in Zac Lomax and Ben Hunt obviously.

“We will see a player clean-out at the end of the year just to try and alleviate some cap space.

“It’s very difficult to change results when you can’t replenish the roster and that’s the situation going forward for the Dragons.”

Later, Brent Read reports:

That the Storm will ask the Dragons one or two more times before the Aug 1 deadline to release Sims early. if the Dragons relent that would free up the room to sign Nathan Brown from the Eels

“Melbourne actually made an approach to the Dragons last week and asked whether they would release (Sims) early and they said ‘no way not happening’ but I don’t think this is over,” Read said on Triple M.

“I think the Dragons will get three more games in before the August 1 deadline and Melbourne will be watching the results of those games pretty closely.

“I suspect Melbourne will come back again at some point in the next two weeks and they’ll ask the question again and it wouldn't surprise me if they get knocked back again they ask them again before the August 1 deadline.

“They’ve got some issues down there in terms of injury and so forth, Tariq is obviously going there next year, the fact Christian Welch won’t be back this year.”

Read then explained how Sims could pave the way for Brown to join the Dragons.

“The other guy I suspect we need to keep an eye on in this is Nathan Brown the Parramatta lock, now he’s been given permission to negotiate, he’s just finalised a new agent so his talks will heat up in the next couple of weeks and again it wouldn’t surprise me if he was to leave before August 1,” Read said.

“Now I don’t know if the Dragons are keen on him but if Tariq was to move then potentially that would open the door for the Dragons to look at a guy like Nathan Brown, and the other thing with Tariq is if the Dragons happen to lose the next three games they drop out of top eight contention, you let Tariq go and it frees up some money that you can use for this year or push into next year, so there are some advantages in terms of the salary cap and maybe it creates the room to get someone like Nathan Brown into the club if not this year then next year.

“I know his name was bandied about but I don’t know if they pressed on with that, I know the Wests Tigers are looking at Nathan Brown, I think they’re the two biggest names that could potentially move before August 1.

“If the Dragons happen to drift out of finals contention and let Tariq Sims go then they can start looking at guys they haven’t made a decision on for next year like Jackson Ford.

“So there’s some opportunities that if they let Tariq go they can have a look at some other guys but it’s going to hinge I suspect on whether they’re going to be in top eight contention by August 1.

“But Melbourne will definitely ask the question again on Tariq in two weeks.”

So they have salary cap pressure but releasing a bunch of minimum wage dudes will solve the problem and also allow them to sign someone else. Riiiiiight.

billy burns wouldnt be a bad pick up if we didnt have a shit ton of 2nd rowers

Matt Dufty granted immediate release to go to Super League.

That didn’t last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brotherdu
  • Midean
  • Johnny92
  • Justwin
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Strop
  • RodF
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncsgoat
  • LittleDavey
  • GCBRONCO
  • Nerd
  • Financeguy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • mitch222
  • MrRobot
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Wolfie
... and 63 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.