NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day it wasn't uncommon to have a captain/coach.

Otherwise usually there is some sort of coaching background. I know Nathan Brown for instance was involved with the NSWRL in 2002 largely working with the Country Rugby League side. I can't account for Freddy's 2005-06 but I wouldn't be shocked if he got some experience during that period before he became Anderson's assistant in 07.

It it even known whether Benji has had no prior coaching experience? A lot of players get their coaching credentials as they're playing. It's not too uncommon they get experience working with U/16 rep sides etc.

Going through the head coaches...

Kevin Walters - Toowoomba/Ipswich/Catalans
Cameron Ciraldo - Panthers U/20s
Ricky Stuart - Bulldogs Premier League
Craig Fitzgibbon - Support Staff Roosters 2012
Wayne Bennett - QPOL/Ipswich
Justin Holbrook - Bulldogs NSW Cup (among other gigs)
Anthony Seibold - Celtic/Mackay/Melbourne U/20s
Craig Bellamy - Raiders President Cup
Adam O'Brien - Melbourne U/20s
Todd Payten - Tigers U/20s & Cowboys U/20s
Brad Arthur - Melbourne U/20s
Ivan Cleary - Roosters Premier League
Jason Demetriou - Pride/Cutters
Anthony Griffin - Dolphins/Broncos U/20s
Trent Robinson - Toulouse/Catalans
Andrew Webster - USA/Hull KR/Wests NYC/Eels NYC
Tim Sheens - None

Fitz and Sheens are the two stand-outs. As far as I'm aware, Sheens went from playing Group 6 Rugby League straight into the head coaching job at Penrith. Fitz retired in 2011 and became a member of the Roosters support staff the following year.

A lot of these coaches have far more extensive resumes than what I put forward, those are really just the highlights.

Robinson was at the Knights under Smith and Roosters as defence in 2010 as well. Griffin was at Souths before Dolphins.

I am interested to see what Robbo can do with Brandon Smith, to me he doesn't look like an 80 minute player, he's made a name for himself by running at the opposition with high energy, haven't seen too much craft from him out of dummy-half but given his salary they probably need him to be their primary dummy-half

I am interested to see what Robbo can do with Brandon Smith, to me he doesn't look like an 80 minute player, he's made a name for himself by running at the opposition with high energy, haven't seen too much craft from him out of dummy-half but given his salary they probably need him to be their primary dummy-half
There is more than enough talent in that side that all smith has to do is run it when he sees a chance, tackle and pass it to the halves. They dont need him to be a Cameron Smith

According to Zero Tackle, happened last night.
I’m not saying it was related but I would definitely pull an ACL if I tried to run at any point this week

There is more than enough talent in that side that all smith has to do is run it when he sees a chance, tackle and pass it to the halves. They dont need him to be a Cameron Smith
Yep, unfortunately he is gonna be a huge addition for them. They are gonna be hard to stop up the middle with Smith, that forward pack and Tedesco, Manu and Sualli all hitting it up.

Burton has reportedly re-signed with the Bulldogs for 4 years @ 750k per

although that extension/value must kick in from 2024 as the report says:

It’s believed Burton is set to earn $500,000 this season, with the Bulldogs tabling a four-year extension worth around $750,000.

It’s believed Burton is set to earn $500,000 this season, with the Bulldogs tabling a four-year extension worth around $750,000.

Can't really say a bad thing about that signing, could be a steal

He's got a huge boot, a big body for a half, pretty good signing by them

Good signing, excellent price. He's a gun.

so much for Gamble leaving for a starting spot.

O'Brien confirming that Ponga will be moving to the Five-Eight next season.

Hastings will almost certainly be the halfback, so that leaves Gamble out of the 17

Not so fast.

FmFZcQWaAAAwTJw

Gamble at fullback?

I can't see it working. He's too slow. You don't need to be lightning fast, but you do need some speed.

Then maybe O'Brien is trying to get sacked.

Gamble at fullback would be a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • bert_lifts
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.