NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope I don't buy that for a second. Almost everyone they've picked up aside from Dufty were either in demand / or they paid too much to attract players. They have paid overs for all of Cotric (marquee money), Addo-Carr (marquee money), Allen, Kikau (marquee money), TPJ (marquee money), Burton (marquee money). This doesn't include Flanagan, Vaughan and Naden who wouldn't have come cheap either. So now we are just throwing in one of the best 9s in the game as well and we're all good? Nope.

Burton, Flanagan and Naden are all under 500k. That's not marquee money. Both Flanagan and Naden were unwanted by their clubs, playing reserve grade and they didn't exactly have a lot of clubs chasing down their signature. Addo-Carr was signed for less money than what Cotric was signed for. Vaughan has taken a massive pay cut that's over 50% of his Dragons contract. Dufty and TPJ are being subsidized by their previous clubs. Apart from Kikau and Mahoney, the rest of their signings are fringe first graders.

They have done a massive cleanout of the club in the past couple of years. They would have freed up a lot of cap space.

Burton, Flanagan and Naden are all under 500k. That's not marquee money. Both Flanagan and Naden were unwanted by their clubs, playing reserve grade and they didn't exactly have a lot of clubs chasing down their signature. Addo-Carr was signed for less money than what Cotric was signed for. Vaughan has taken a massive pay cut that's over 50% of his Dragons contract. Dufty and TPJ are being subsidized by their previous clubs. Apart from Kikau and Mahoney, the rest of their signings are fringe first graders.

They have done a massive cleanout of the club in the past couple of years. They would have freed up a lot of cap space.

I don't know how we'd be subsidising TPJ when his Bulldogs contract was reportedly more than his contract with us

We are always crying poor. You know..
no money in the bank.. broke.

so does every club ... otherwise you give the power to the player agents.

while we were crying poor we signed, Reynolds, Capewell, Lee, James, Pereria and Mam ... we upgraded Gamble, Riki and Piakura

oh and BTW Ikin recently said we have cash to spend

so does every club ... otherwise you give the power to the player agents.

while we were crying poor we signed, Reynolds, Capewell, Lee, James, Pereria and Mam ... we upgraded Gamble, Riki and Piakura

oh and BTW Ikin recently said we have cash to spend
Yes that is why it was a joke.
You know ...haha ... A sarcastic joke.

My gosh you are wound up tight.

Be intersting to see what their cap would be. Allan and Cotric are on around 1.1 million a year between the 2 of them and add thompson into the equation thats almost 1.9 million for 3 players. You would think Kikau and Mahoney would tie up about another 1.5 million between them on top of everyone else, they are going to be pretty close to having cap trouble.

Burton isn’t under 500k. This is a kid who was massively in demand. I didn’t say the other two are on marquee money. You’ll notice I didn’t include Vaughan as a big point in the argument but even so, if he stays after next year, it’ll be around 400k and there got to come from somewhere. I also totally forgot Thompson who was trumpeted as a big name signing so there’s another player to throw in as a big salary.

DWZ is reportedly being subsidised. TPJ is on an upgraded deal that they will need to fully take on from next year. That means he is on at least 700k a year. Kikau was looking for a million, so you’d think he’d at least be 800k. Citric and Addo-Carr are not under 500k, both were in demand and both trumpeted as big name signings. Mahoney would at least be 6-700k at worst on top of all of that.

Like I said, I don’t buy it given your whole argument is based on players NOT being overpaid to go there when reportedly, the opposite is true in most cases, even if you don’t count Vaughan or Dufty.

Burton isn’t under 500k. This is a kid who was massively in demand. I didn’t say the other two are on marquee money. You’ll notice I didn’t include Vaughan as a big point in the argument but even so, if he stays after next year, it’ll be around 400k and there got to come from somewhere. I also totally forgot Thompson who was trumpeted as a big name signing so there’s another player to throw in as a big salary.

DWZ is reportedly being subsidised. TPJ is on an upgraded deal that they will need to fully take on from next year. That means he is on at least 700k a year. Kikau was looking for a million, so you’d think he’d at least be 800k. Citric and Addo-Carr are not under 500k, both were in demand and both trumpeted as big name signings. Mahoney would at least be 6-700k at worst on top of all of that.

Like I said, I don’t buy it given your whole argument is based on players NOT being overpaid to go there when reportedly, the opposite is true in most cases, even if you don’t count Vaughan or Dufty.

Dogs signed Burton 12 months ago. He’d only played five games. 450-500 would have been more than fair.

Signing him now you’d need another 150k.

They’re also starting from 0, no one was worth keeping and they’ll get rid of more before Kikau comes in 12 months.

Dogs signed Burton 12 months ago. He’d only played five games. 450-500 would have been more than fair.

Signing him now you’d need another 150k.

They’re also starting from 0, no one was worth keeping and they’ll get rid of more before Kikau comes in 12 months.

You still need to fill out a squad and didn’t Gould go on record as approving an upgrade on Burton’s contract after he signed ‘in good faith’ or something stupid like that?

You still need to fill out a squad and didn’t Gould go on record as approving an upgrade on Burton’s contract after he signed ‘in good faith’ or something stupid like that?
He didn't approve it, he just made a comment that no player is underpaid with him and they'll keep him happy. It was vague, they could have styarted paying him this year a bonus.

So what we 'know'

Pangai Jr - $750K (subsidised by Brisbane)
Thompson - $725K
Cotric -$600K
Jackson - $600K
Addo-Carr - $550K
Burton - $500K

Kikau - $800K

Let's say Pangai is on $400K at the Bulldogs, that's still 2,575,000 for 2022 or 3,375,000 for 2023 with players to still come off contract before then.

I could see a few players being on decent money like Allan, Stimson, Hetherington, Flanagan etc. but a few of them are set to leave the club soon and I doubt they would exceed the cap.

The Bulldogs recruited a lot of 'value' players like Dufty and Vaughan plus they had an inside link to players like Naden, Burns etc. who were Penrith juniors.

With Napa, Hopoate and Elliott off the books they had a ton of cash to spend.

So what we 'know'

Pangai Jr - $750K (subsidised by Brisbane)
Thompson - $725K
Cotric -$600K
Jackson - $600K
Addo-Carr - $550K
Burton - $500K

Kikau - $800K

Let's say Pangai is on $400K at the Bulldogs, that's still 2,575,000 for 2022 or 3,375,000 for 2023 with players to still come off contract before then.

I could see a few players being on decent money like Allan, Stimson, Hetherington, Flanagan etc. but a few of them are set to leave the club soon and I doubt they would exceed the cap.

The Bulldogs recruited a lot of 'value' players like Dufty and Vaughan plus they had an inside link to players like Naden, Burns etc. who were Penrith juniors.

With Napa, Hopoate and Elliott off the books they had a ton of cash to spend.

Which they’ve already spent on TPJ, Kikau, JAC, Burton and Cotric. Lose 3/4 big wagers and replace them with 6/7?

Which they’ve already spent on TPJ, Kikau, JAC, Burton and Cotric. Lose 3/4 big wagers and replace them with 6/7?
They're not on as much money as Hopoate and Napa were. Hopoate was supposedly on some crazy deal believed to be around $900,000 which was never a good idea and why the papers were still taking digs at Des.

Basically all they've done is over-spent on outside backs and a handful of forwards. They haven't spent that much on key positions so they have the money to throw around.

Keep in mind too, Kikau is a 2023 signing and they have a few players off contract and a few players they're looking to move on.

The Bulldogs are doing exactly what the Knights were doing 3-4 years ago. Spending upper limits or overs on promising but not proven players. Most were poached from teams that didn't want to lose them but weren't prepared to match the offer. While the Knights haven't been awful, they haven't been close to a premiership threat. I expect the Dogs to be similarly uninspiring even after their recruitment.

The Bulldogs are doing exactly what the Knights were doing 3-4 years ago. Spending upper limits or overs on promising but not proven players. Most were poached from teams that didn't want to lose them but weren't prepared to match the offer. While the Knights haven't been awful, they haven't been close to a premiership threat. I expect the Dogs to be similarly uninspiring even after their recruitment.
If they end up around the middle of the table, it's sure as shit better than being wooden spoon contenders each year. I hope they do well, I think the competition is better when the Dogs have a strong team.

I think they've recruited just about perfectly given what they could have reasonably got. If they get Mahoney, with Burton and Dufty in the spine, they've got a top 8 team easily and could challenge top 4 with the right coaching. Their biggest question mark is the coach, I don't rate him really but he could be a surprise.

It's all good and well to say don't overpay but it just doesn't work. Only the big teams can recruit for unders, the salary cap is broken so badly, you basically have to overpay, have some glimmer of success, then you can buy players without overpaying. We either need a draft or salary cap compensation in reverse of ladder order, so last team gets an extra 400k or something scaling down to 0k for the premiers.

reports today that the Titans will miss out on Brandon Smith. the reports say he has narrowed it down to either the Dolphins or the Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.