NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...if they did, I'd be getting in Walker's ear. Heck even Keary would suit Reynolds beautifully.
He might not be the best playmaker in the NRL right now but Sam Walker would be top of my wish list for the Broncos.. I know it sounds corny and it’s probably an outdated thing these days, but for me, seeing the Broncos eventually win a premiership with Queensland players and or players who started out at the club, would be more ‘pure’ & satisfying than getting it done with half a team of mercenaries

I guess, like it was in the 90s

He might not be the best playmaker in the NRL right now but Sam Walker would be top of my wish list for the Broncos.. I know it sounds corny and it’s probably an outdated thing these days, but for me, seeing the Broncos eventually win a premiership with Queensland players and or players who started out at the club, would be more ‘pure’ & satisfying than getting it done with half a team of mercenaries

I'd hardly call players like Chrissy Johns, Glen Lazerus or Mick De Vere or more recent, Kotoni Staggs, Payne Haas and Adam Reynolds mercenaries.

Sorry to point it out but you sound suspiciously like Pauline Hanson. It doesn't sound "corny" at all. It sounds painfully short-sighted and xenophobic.

I'd hardly call players like Chrissy Johns, Glen Lazerus or Mick De Vere or more recent, Kotoni Staggs, Payne Haas and Adam Reynolds mercenaries.

Sorry to point it out but you sound suspiciously like Pauline Hanson. It doesn't sound "corny" at all. It sounds painfully short-sighted and xenophobic.
Whatever mate, go pick a fight elsewhere

Whatever mate, go pick a fight elsewhere
Hey matey, I'm not "picking a fight" I've replied to your post with my take on your view. If you want to act butt hurt because I don't agree there is nothing I can do about that.

But if I am offered more somewhere else I take it.

Sure, but the cap should be like a bell curve, two or three players on 700k-800k and your bottom three on the 110k and a chunk in the middle 250-500k.

When club's distort that and don't have the curve they're in trouble.

Hey matey, I'm not "picking a fight" I've replied to your post with my take on your view. If you want to act butt hurt because I don't agree there is nothing I can do about that
That’s the great thing about forums - the option to decide who & what is and isn’t worth responding to. 👍

This is the kind of thinking that has left has behind the 8 ball for so long. Who gives a **** where the players were born and raised, if they win us a title I couldn't give a **** if it was the entire NSW team. Winning should be prioritized over everything now. We don't have the luxury at the moment to say QLD players only.

Sure, but the cap should be like a bell curve, two or three players on 700k-800k and your bottom three on the 110k and a chunk in the middle 250-500k.

When club's distort that and don't have the curve they're in trouble.
But Melbourne have like 3 players around the million mark, and paps somewhere around 750k.
NAS, Brom and Welch on 600k to be conservative. Coates on 450k

That's 6m out of 9.6m cap on 8 players. That leaves 3.6m for the remaining 22/top 30 which gives them 163k per player to spend on the rest, which is dangerously close to the 120k minimum wage.

How do they do it?

This is the kind of thinking that has left has behind the 8 ball for so long. Who gives a **** where the players were born and raised, if they win us a title I couldn't give a **** if it was the entire NSW team. Winning should be prioritized over everything now. We don't have the luxury at the moment to say QLD players only.
It’s the sort of thing that used to win the club premierships.. what has left the broncos behind the 8 ball are the stuff ups which have led to some of our best ‘home groan’ talents going elsewhere

Yeah, we will always have a QLD dominant team just by the nature of our recruitment and development areas. what we really need first and foremost is to be successful so the young QLD players want to stay at the club. If that means filling the squad with the best possible players who happen to be from NSW then you do it. Building a current successful team regardless of what state they are from will only help with retain QLD talent in the future.

But Melbourne have like 3 players around the million mark, and paps somewhere around 750k.
NAS, Brom and Welch on 600k to be conservative. Coates on 450k

That's 6m out of 9.6m cap on 8 players. That leaves 3.6m for the remaining 22/top 30 which gives them 163k per player to spend on the rest, which is dangerously close to the 120k minimum wage.

How do they do it?

I don't think they do have three, Hughes and Grant haven't moved to their big deal and I think when they do move to that upgraded deal they are shedding players. Munster is on the way out it seems so there is the million dollar player.

It’s the sort of thing that used to win the club premierships.. what has left the broncos behind the 8 ball are the stuff ups which have led to some of our best ‘home groan’ talents going elsewhere
When will you accept that we aren't the only club in QLD anymore like we were in the nineties and early 00s.

When will you accept that we aren't the only club in QLD anymore like we were in the nineties and early 00s.
When were the broncos the only NRL club in Qld ?

I think you’re misinterpreting my original point, which was that the Broncos need to be better at retaining the best young players they have coming through their pathways, like your Sam Walkers.

ultimately, doing that well will benefit the club big time

I don't care where our players come from. Just don't sign criminals, fuckwits or dumb ass players who can't count to 6 anymore, thanks.

Maybe Berrick McKeely Braith-Smith from private school #7 would actually be a good target.

I don't care where our players come from. Just don't sign criminals, fuckwits or dumb ass players who can't count to 6 anymore, thanks.

Maybe Berrick McKeely Braith-Smith from private school #7 would actually be a good target.
Is that Macintosh Ponsenyby-Smythe's cousin?

Is that Macintosh Ponsenyby-Smythe's cousin?
Yeah but they have the same dad, different mum. Jimothy Cade Slipper-Smighth played half a game for the Wallabies in 1995 against Romania. Kicked 48 goals and went off with a broken fingernail. Mum was a superstar Netballer. She just went by Laura. No last name, which makes it even more weird that Jimothy also took her last name.

I'm a romantic and I agree with @Bull Shark

I want a side dominated with Queenslanders as this is our DNA. I also have an unprovable theory that players in a side they support will perform better than in a team they do not really support unless they are being paid massive money or playing for Bellamy. Look at the Panthers, those kids love playing together and the ones who have grown up together generally do not want to leave. They tend to get rid of the bring ins before the nurtured types as in Api, Kikau, Capewell, etc. They will lose a Burton here or there but rumour has it, he wants back in anyway.

Is it a coincidence Dearden has been firing since going to the team he supported as a kid? As I said, I have no way of proving this but I do wonder, how much better would Walsh be in a Broncos' jersey?

I could be totally wrong about all of this and I cannot prove it (should be a journalist hey) but it is my thoughts.

I think we ware starting to get that DNA back to an extent with not just the star players but also the depth guys including a number of Queenslanders and more importantly, Broncos' fans. It is also a reason I don't think Munster will work for us because he hates us, same as Mahoney.

I love having guys like Gamble, Walters, Cobbo, Oates, Capewell, Carrigan, Flegler, etc. You don't need everyone to be like this but it does feel good to have the majority of your squad this way, so if we could pick up Walsh or Walker or both, that would be amazing! And Walker especially because of his obviously strong connection to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.