NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a romantic and I agree with @Bull Shark

I want a side dominated with Queenslanders as this is our DNA. I also have an unprovable theory that players in a side they support will perform better than in a team they do not really support unless they are being paid massive money or playing for Bellamy. Look at the Panthers, those kids love playing together and the ones who have grown up together generally do not want to leave. They tend to get rid of the bring ins before the nurtured types as in Api, Kikau, Capewell, etc. They will lose a Burton here or there but rumour has it, he wants back in anyway.

Is it a coincidence Dearden has been firing since going to the team he supported as a kid? As I said, I have no way of proving this but I do wonder, how much better would Walsh be in a Broncos' jersey?

I could be totally wrong about all of this and I cannot prove it (should be a journalist hey) but it is my thoughts.

I think we ware starting to get that DNA back to an extent with not just the star players but also the depth guys including a number of Queenslanders and more importantly, Broncos' fans. It is also a reason I don't think Munster will work for us because he hates us, same as Mahoney.

I love having guys like Gamble, Walters, Cobbo, Oates, Capewell, Carrigan, Flegler, etc. You don't need everyone to be like this but it does feel good to have the majority of your squad this way, so if we could pick up Walsh or Walker or both, that would be amazing! And Walker especially because of his obviously strong connection to the club.
💯 .. it is a romantic ideal but as you point out, it also benefits a club nowadays by allowing them to retain the players they want for slightly less money than it would cost to go out and poach someone from elsewhere, which impacts your salary cap downstream..

I want a side dominated with Queenslanders as this is our DNA. I also have an unprovable theory that players in a side they support will perform better than in a team they do not really support unless they are being paid massive money or playing for Bellamy. Look at the Panthers, those kids love playing together and the ones who have grown up together generally do not want to leave. They tend to get rid of the bring ins before the nurtured types as in Api, Kikau, Capewell, etc. They will lose a Burton here or there but rumour has it, he wants back in anyway.

Is it a coincidence Dearden has been firing since going to the team he supported as a kid? As I said, I have no way of proving this but I do wonder, how much better would Walsh be in a Broncos' jersey?

I could be totally wrong about all of this and I cannot prove it (should be a journalist hey) but it is my thoughts.

I think we ware starting to get that DNA back to an extent with not just the star players but also the depth guys including a number of Queenslanders and more importantly, Broncos' fans. It is also a reason I don't think Munster will work for us because he hates us, same as Mahoney.

I love having guys like Gamble, Walters, Cobbo, Oates, Capewell, Carrigan, Flegler, etc. You don't need everyone to be like this but it does feel good to have the majority of your squad this way, so if we could pick up Walsh or Walker or both, that would be amazing! And Walker especially because of his obviously strong connection to the club.
Mate I think that's why we have that three game serious called origin. It's a concept that seems to have caught on.

You’d be surprised how many players didn’t grow up supporting the team they play for. Gamble didn’t support the broncos if I remember correctly.

Working in primary schools I've noticed very few of them are Broncos fans anymore, simply because they haven't been successful since they were born. They're all Storm and Panthers fans despite never stepping foot in either city. They play for Wynnum and get indoctrinated by the old blokes who reckon the Broncos killed their competition and their dads who weren't good enough to play for them and still feel rejected to this day. They all "tackled Tallis" once and all have a friend of a friend who "saw Lockyer doing something shady in the toilets" at a club.

The Broncos never visit schools out this way for some reason. The Brisbane Bullets came to my school a few months ago and these kids are the biggest fans ever. Give them a hat and sign a book and you've made a fan. We had a wheelchair rugby player come out the other day and now these kids want to be wheelchair rugby players when they grow up for ***** sake.

Engage with these kids regularly, engage with the old blokes running these feeder clubs too because I guarantee all they want is a hat or an important looking polo shirt with a Broncos logo on it and to feel like they're important.

You’d be surprised how many players didn’t grow up supporting the team they play for. Gamble didn’t support the broncos if I remember correctly.

No I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe the point is not clear and as I mentioned, it is a romantic point of view and these days pretty unrealistic but the thought of having our next premiership team being majority Queenslanders is still appealing. This does not mean I don't want the likes of Haas (Lazarus), Staggs (Johns), Farnworth (Reed) either.

So you reckon Haas is worth about 700k too then because of his off field issues?

I actually do ... maybe 800k. But that is just what I would value the best prop in the game

The off field issues should drop that to 600k ... and that one shoulder injury 500k. Straight out of the Storm playbook 😝

Ive flipped on Haas.
Excellent player no doubt about it, but we have been winning without him, and the money he wants is better spent elsewhere.

No I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe the point is not clear and as I mentioned, it is a romantic point of view and these days pretty unrealistic but the thought of having our next premiership team being majority Queenslanders is still appealing. This does not mean I don't want the likes of Haas (Lazarus), Staggs (Johns), Farnworth (Reed) either.
So you're dying to see a team of majority Queenslanders win the GF?

I'm surprised you're not following the Storm. :rofl

So you're dying to see a team of majority Queenslanders win the GF?

I'm surprised you're not following the Storm. :rofl

Do they where Broncos jerseys do they?

And incidentally, guess which club they modelled their success on.

Working in primary schools I've noticed very few of them are Broncos fans anymore, simply because they haven't been successful since they were born. They're all Storm and Panthers fans despite never stepping foot in either city. They play for Wynnum and get indoctrinated by the old blokes who reckon the Broncos killed their competition and their dads who weren't good enough to play for them and still feel rejected to this day. They all "tackled Tallis" once and all have a friend of a friend who "saw Lockyer doing something shady in the toilets" at a club.

The Broncos never visit schools out this way for some reason. The Brisbane Bullets came to my school a few months ago and these kids are the biggest fans ever. Give them a hat and sign a book and you've made a fan. We had a wheelchair rugby player come out the other day and now these kids want to be wheelchair rugby players when they grow up for ***** sake.

Engage with these kids regularly, engage with the old blokes running these feeder clubs too because I guarantee all they want is a hat or an important looking polo shirt with a Broncos logo on it and to feel like they're important.
It's a real gaping error by the Broncos. Last night 3 of the Warriors showed up at my boys training (a part of the Magic Round junket). And the club put out an announcement to including teams that weren't training and there was a line a mile long getting autographs and selfies. My kid got himself a warriors poster signed and his head gear signed and he was in 7th heaven. Didn't give a rats that the Warriors are useless, or who it was that was signing the stuff (Addin Fonua Blake, Ben Murdoch Masila and another outside back I feel like it was Montoya). Imagine if it was the Broncos showing up every now and then!

It's a real gaping error by the Broncos. Last night 3 of the Warriors showed up at my boys training (a part of the Magic Round junket). And the club put out an announcement to including teams that weren't training and there was a line a mile long getting autographs and selfies. My kid got himself a warriors poster signed and his head gear signed and he was in 7th heaven. Didn't give a rats that the Warriors are useless, or who it was that was signing the stuff (Addin Fonua Blake, Ben Murdoch Masila and another outside back I feel like it was Montoya). Imagine if it was the Broncos showing up every now and then!
They don't even have to send top line players. Send our legends in as well.

Also how the **** is Addin Fonua Blake allowed around kids? Surely doesn't pass the police check part for a Blue Card?

The Warriors CEO says :rofl

“Everyone’s going back to New Zealand. You don’t sign with a New Zealand club thinking you’ll be playing in Australia. We don’t sign players that way,” George said.

Apparently you do Mr. George ... it's been reported that at least 3 players have no interest in a permanent move across the ditch. (Aitkin, Lodge, Walsh)

It's being reported that James Segeyaro has signed a train & trial contract with manly and could play as early as next week

^ Segs has been playing for their NSW Cup affiliate since the start of the season so it comes as no surprise.

I know he doesn't have the best rep, but I've always had time for Segs. Even though it's somewhat tainted, I'll always enjoy his part in that upset win against the Chooks.

Segs is a very good pick up for Manly, he solves a glaring hole for them at 9.

Sure, but the cap should be like a bell curve, two or three players on 700k-800k and your bottom three on the 110k and a chunk in the middle 250-500k.

When club's distort that and don't have the curve they're in trouble.
Sure. All I am saying is that reducing a salary offer based on off field behaviour only works when there is not a club willing to pay the on field market rate.

Here is one for @Wolfie

Sport Confidential understands the Knights are the front-runners to win the battle for British teenage sensation Will Pryce

They don't say who else is chasing Pryce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fatboy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Scorchie
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Mustafur
  • Brotherdu
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • Battler
  • Justwin
  • Bronx48
  • bert_lifts
  • BruiserMk1
  • westy316
  • Organix
... and 52 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.