NEWS NRL Player Salaries

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
There is an interesting article in the SMH about player salaries. they've obtained a document that gets sent to clubs each year. the clubs use it to keep agents honest about the worth of their players (although some clubs obviously get it wrong)

there is data of the average value of each player in the NRL squads (from 1-30) and the average of each position (split into groups of 5 .. e.g. the average of a top 5 halfback in 2019 was $998,888 per year)

data is as follows:

Squad

Pos 1

Pos 2

Pos 3

it does surprise me how low the top 5 hookers are paid compared to the other positions. i mean on average the top 5 hookers are the second lowest paid position ... with only wingers getting less

And look how much David Fifita is out of the scale for second rowers. On 1.25m wasn't he?
Was about to say that with Fifita... about $700k for second rowers after you take his $1.35m into account!!

it does surprise me how low the top 5 hookers are paid compared to the other positions. i mean on average the top 5 hookers are the second lowest paid position ... with only wingers getting less
There probably just aren't that many getting paid all that well.

Hodgson or Cook are likely the highest paid, but the quality of hookers across the league over the last few years was pretty low when it came to the few last contract years.

You would expect BSmith and Grant to be demanding $800k each by 2023... so combining that with Cook will bump the average up a bit

And look how much David Fifita is out of the scale for second rowers. On 1.25m wasn't he?
Hope this isn't too far off-topic and maybe it's just me but I'm glad the guy left the Broncs, every time the Titans play you'd think it was the David Fifita Show and yet he seems to contribute little in terms of effort. Watched him get owned in the Storm game last night .. if I was a GC fan I'd be pretty disappointed at the return on the investment they made despite his "impact" value.

Just like their namesake Hookers are underpaid for the services they provide.

The drop off for props is striking compared to all the other positions.

Hope this isn't too far off-topic and maybe it's just me but I'm glad the guy left the Broncs, every time the Titans play you'd think it was the David Fifita Show and yet he seems to contribute little in terms of effort. Watched him get owned in the Storm game last night .. if I was a GC fan I'd be pretty disappointed at the return on the investment they made despite his "impact" value.
Like Hayne before and after those famous 9 games. Both Fox and Channel 9 like to ride the dick of certain players, even after the dick has fallen (been bitten) off.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • heartly87
  • Clintos
  • Stix
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • thenry
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • Culhwch
  • barker
  • Ozired
  • Morepudding
  • GCBRONCO
  • The Strapper
  • Tmac
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.