NRL Players and family members in hot water

Personally I think players should be expected to be held to a higher standard, as unlike others, their actions have a lasting impact on the game's reputation, not just the player or even the club.
That said, there is an evident injustice at throwing the book at a fringe player who committs a misdemeanour and rug sweeping exercise given to some star players.
I'd also say that players, even flawed ones are also human beings that need support in times of crisis, even of their making.
To me it would seem preferable that players are judged equally for off-field incidents. With that in mind, perhaps suspensions and dismissals be handled by a body external to the club, with punishments for clubs that fail to co-operate.
In the case of dismissal a period of severance, rather than instant dissmissal, with set protocols for reform, allowing the player to find alternative work and to seek assistance, depending upon its nature. This would be a good avenue for the players association to involve itself.
I'm sure some of these things are in play, by individual clubs, but the inconsistency of clubs management of players to me seems to the detriment of the game itself.

Already happens. The NRL have their own committee for bad behaviour, and they have the power to step in and make further sanctions on players when the club is too lenient.

Yes, there is definitely a significant and often severe psychological impact in such situations.
I have an example right in my home, where my missus has nightmares and anxiety about our home safety, which increased after 2 break-ins (in one of them, my 15 y/old son woke up to a burglar grabbing his smart phone from his night-stand), albeit without further violence involved. But all of it stems back to her brother's gruesome murder, which she fortunately did not directly witness, but still marked her for life.

Of course, @Nashy is also right about the enticement for financial reward, especially in good old US of A, where people will milk their emotional distress for all its worth...
I guess that's the heart of the matter. Often we need older wise men and women to accurately assess the trauma and injury people are or were affected by. I'll say that even with my self appointed level of wisdom on such matters I'd struggle to trust myself to make a good determination of the impact a traumatic event may make.
Personally I think players should be expected to be held to a higher standard, as unlike others, their actions have a lasting impact on the game's reputation, not just the player or even the club.
That said, there is an evident injustice at throwing the book at a fringe player who committs a misdemeanour and rug sweeping exercise given to some star players.
I'd also say that players, even flawed ones are also human beings that need support in times of crisis, even of their making.
To me it would seem preferable that players are judged equally for off-field incidents. With that in mind, perhaps suspensions and dismissals be handled by a body external to the club, with punishments for clubs that fail to co-operate.
In the case of dismissal a period of severance, rather than instant dissmissal, with set protocols for reform, allowing the player to find alternative work and to seek assistance, depending upon its nature. This would be a good avenue for the players association to involve itself.
I'm sure some of these things are in play, by individual clubs, but the inconsistency of clubs management of players to me seems to the detriment of the game itself.
I'm having trouble believing that ,short of a player being shown to have mind control over others and manipulating them through rugby league to commit genocide, the random actions of the occasional athlete can or does have any real impact on the publics perception of rugby league !!!

Really, you're over the top if you believe a dui makes a scrap of difference. Hell ,gun runners, drug addicts, smugglers and paedophiles haven't made a dent. It's more popular and stronger than ever.

Sorry about the 0. Must have left page open, while I was rehearsing. Anyway, even if you don't believe players have a serious impact on the sport's reputation (to which we would differ), it's in everyone's interest (including the players) to discourage anti-social behaviour.
It is said the nrl has a body in place to tackle off-field incidents. If it does it seems to only deal with those that make the media, although I hope I'm wrong. I think the sport needs to nip things like domestic violence, glassing women, drunken anti-,social behavour in the bag before the perpetrators reach a level where their club sees it as preferable to hide it.
Put it this way. If we pretend it doesn't affect the sport, why are there so many people watching the likes of lodge and Roberts with trepidation every time a media release of players misbehaving comes out? Could it be, that we want to see the best of humanity in the players we support?
It would seem that way, when players market the latest brand. Otherwise wouldnt we just throw a bunch of animals straight out of jail and let them carve each other up? We could do it, and there would be more action. Why do have rules in the sport if not to give reason and build structure to the pure chaos of violent competition? Why ban the head high tackle, the spear tackle, and drugs? It's not to give spectacle or to protect the players only, or they would not play at all and never get hurt.
I think it's so we can see ourselves in the players on the field and revel in their courage, their superior skills, and tactical brilliance and say to ourselves "that could be me". I think it is that, that also drives us to care for their welfare. At least I hope so.

Hasn't Suli only been at the Bulldogs for a couple of weeks? lol

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/15...ury-bulldogs-training-after-repeated-warnings

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs coach Dean Pay hasn’t wasted any time enforcing the new standards expected at the club, recently sending home new recruit Moses Suli after a string of disciplinary breaches during the past fortnight.

NRL.com can reveal the new Bulldogs recruit has received two warnings after being late for multiple training sessions and failing to finish several others as he struggles to adapt to life at his new club.

Pay has shown that shortcuts won’t be tolerated under his regime at the Bulldogs, telling Suli to leave training to reassess his commitment to his career.

This is one of the things that can happen when you give unproven youngsters such a big payday.

It gets to their head, they start to think they have made it and get comfortable because they think they are king shit. Then their career goes down the shitter and a lot of them don't recover.

I don't predict Suli recovering. It seems as though he isn't taking anything seriously.

I could easily see how watching your dad get punched in the middle of the night, while you're then in the bathroom with mum and someone punching the door might upset a nine year old.

Not really the night great childhood memories are made of.

I could easily see how watching your dad get punched in the middle of the night, while you're then in the bathroom with mum and someone punching the door might upset a nine year old.

Not really the night great childhood memories are made of.

Absolutely, I can too. But I can also see a kid getting over it pretty quickly, like kids do with most things.

Absolutely, I can too. But I can also see a kid getting over it pretty quickly, like kids do with most things.
And the kid also isn't the one trying to numb their 'pain and suffering' with piles of cash.

Dugan and Fifita were kicked out of Cronulla RSL for being dicks while on the drink.

The Sharks did not notify the NRL about it because it's deemed to be small scale, and it doesn't look like the NRL will dish out any punishments.

Dugan and Fifita were kicked out of Cronulla RSL for being dicks while on the drink.

The Sharks did not notify the NRL about it because it's deemed to be small scale, and it doesn't look like the NRL will dish out any punishments.

Other players, I would agree, but not those with form. Deadset useless organisation.

Can't believe I am even saying this but Fifita was the sensible one and helped the staff get rid of Dugan. What has your life turned to when Fifita is your mature mate?

Can't believe I am even saying this but Fifita was the sensible one and helped the staff get rid of Dugan. What has your life turned to when Fifita is your mature mate?

Credit to Fifita. He really does seem to have learned the lesson from all those problems he had. I still hate the big bastard, but he seems to have put his head down, and got on with the career he's been handed.

Credit to Fifita. He really does seem to have learned the lesson from all those problems he had. I still hate the big bastard, but he seems to have put his head down, and got on with the career he's been handed.
It's amazing really, when you think about Dave Taylor in a comparison to Fafita.

Fifita was also kicked out but it seems he was a little bit more helpful. Bloke deserves no praise at all

Fifita was also kicked out but it seems he was a little bit more helpful. Bloke deserves no praise at all

He was still just clear headed enough to realise what would happen if he refused to go. I find it a tad more disrespectful they were like that in an RSL than a regular pub.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Fitzy
  • Rookie Alan
  • Santa
  • Hurrijo
  • Midean
  • Organix
  • Adammacca
  • IceWorks
  • bb_gun
  • pennywisealfie
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • Kev_Guz
  • theshed
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.